Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #21

Does it have to be a light on the ground or can it be mounted under the trailer.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #22

We have been camping in the AZ desert for 13 years. I would find seeds and small sticks in the engine and once found the insulation wrap around the battery chewed up. Started putting a light under the engine about 8 years ago and no more activity, also keeps elephants away.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Does it have to be a light on the ground or can it be mounted under the trailer.
My understanding from the old-timers is that the critters don't like well-lit places; they prefer the dark areas.

We have been camping in MT and AZ for years and it's commonplace to see hoods up (at least partially) for that reason. I think the bright light adds another dimension to the deterrent.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #24

One of the most common places I've had problems with them has been the under hood sound insulation pad. They trashed my motorhomes years ago, and they trashed my pick ups just recently.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #25
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
If I wanted to see rope lights, I'd go to Disneyland, not camping. What did people do before those darned things were invented? Enough already.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #26
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

I agree with HikerBob. I can understand not wanting critters to get into your TT or chew your wires, but try a solution that doesn't involve lights. Especially the obnoxiously bright LEDs and those who leave them on all night while sitting inside.

Those have got to be near the top of the 10 pet peeves of camping, right next to pressing the key fob to lock your TV at night. Camping is about enjoying the outdoors, moon & stars, and sounds of nature. Not city lights & city sounds. A little courtesy, pleeeeze.
Jenga Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #27
54 Years, 13 RV's

Bob, I'll be your straight man...

But, there's no elephants within 5000 miles of here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
We have been camping in the AZ desert for 13 years. I would find seeds and small sticks in the engine and once found the insulation wrap around the battery chewed up. Started putting a light under the engine about 8 years ago and no more activity, also keeps elephants away.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #28

LOL -watch were you step

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
We have noticed a number of RV's (we are in Arizona) have long strings (ropes) of LED lights laying under their rigs. Most seem to be laying around the perimeter of the rig.

Being in AZ with the issue of packrats getting into the unit, are these lights a fashion statement or an attempt to discourage rodents?

If I see the owners outside I will ask them, but with the current climate about getting close to strangers I figured someone here would know.
I was headed into the 5th wheel one night... as I lifted my foot to step onto the step a huge black/red snake was passing between me and the step. I froze... he kept moving on. (proved to be a king snake/rat snake whatever..he had no interest in humans....I had significant issue in his presence...) after that we have always tossed lights under the trailer so we know what is happening.

It did not affect the bob cat that creeped up to the trailer one night...while we were sitting on the Toyhauler deck.... but at least I won't step on a snake. It is all about priorities!
AtTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga Jack View Post
I agree with HikerBob. I can understand not wanting critters to get into your TT or chew your wires, but try a solution that doesn't involve lights. Especially the obnoxiously bright LEDs and those who leave them on all night while sitting inside.

Those have got to be near the top of the 10 pet peeves of camping, right next to pressing the key fob to lock your TV at night. Camping is about enjoying the outdoors, moon & stars, and sounds of nature. Not city lights & city sounds. A little courtesy, pleeeeze.

Lol! I hate it when people lock there TV with the key fob and the horn beeps. I reprogrammed my TV so the horn doesn’t beep when locking with fob.
As for the lights under the trailer, I don’t see any issues. It’s the awning lights that shine in the windows of other RVs. I’ve also heard complaints from some regarding the blue front cap lights.

I was just looking at a 100 foot spool to install under my rig. The plan was to install blue lights to match the cap and step lights to give the camp site a nice glow in hopes to keep the critters away, then my dog won’t bark in the middle of the night when the raccoons tear up the neighbors trash they left out.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Just to make the site look better and since when are squirrels out at night ?
That's why their lights work so good.
RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
Damned good thought....don't want any damn elephants under my hood!
koko 3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:30 PM   #32

For those who have lights on to keep critters away when camping, do you have them under your trailer and truck when you’re home?
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #33
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
For those who have lights on to keep critters away when camping, do you have them under your trailer and truck when you’re home?
Not a problem as my trailer is in my attached garage/workshop to avoid all the problems talked about here, i.e. rodents, water damage, sun damage, freezing, etc., ad nauseum.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #34

Rope lights are nice to illuminate.around.the campsite. Keeping packrats away and out of.the engine compartment....peppermint oil. They HATE it. Squirrels, rats, skunks. We routinely spray the engine compartments on our vehicles, all around the 5th wheel. Smells great too.
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #35

more than decorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Fashion statement in Texas
RV'rs in Texas use them to keep folks from hiding under rigs that have crossed the border illegally.
It works.
JohnandRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #36
Insert witty title here

If you are going to use these, please turn them off before going in for the night. I had this guy keep his on ALL NIGHT. I almost paid him a visit with a pair of wire cutters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170729_230341.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	248927

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #37

Those are CRAZY lights! Mine are dim, I promise.
JohnandRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If you are going to use these, please turn them off before going in for the night. I had this guy keep his on ALL NIGHT. I almost paid him a visit with a pair of wire cutters.

Attachment 248927

SMH, very sad when people resort to vandalism.
How about talking to the guy ?
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #39
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
SMH, very sad when people resort to vandalism.
How about talking to the guy ?

Apparently you missed the word "almost" in my post.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #40

It’s the thought that counts.

Tags
led, light