Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

However, FR basically makes only one thing - recreational vehicles
That's not necessarily an accurate statement when you look at Forest River, Inc.

Forest River Inc., is a US manufacturer of recreational vehicles, cargo trailers, utility trailers, pontoon boats, and buses

Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons

Divisions include the following and more:

• Prime Time Manufacturing
  • Coachmen RV
  • Shasta RV
  • Palomino RV
  • Forest River RV
  • Dynamax Corporation
  • Glaval Bus
  • Elkhart Coach
  • Starcraft Bus
  • AmeraLite
  • Cargo Mate
  • Continental Cargo
  • Haulin Trailers
  • Lightning Trailers
  • Rance Aluminimum Trailers
  • US Cargo
  • Berkshire Pontoon
  • South Bay Pontoon
  • Trifecta Pontoon
  • Qualridge
  • Rockport Commercial Vehicles
  • Berkshire Coach
The point Bclemens was making is to not group up all the subsidiary companies into one ball. The subs he use as examples (Benjamin Moore Paint and Fruit of the Loom) are also Berkshire Hathaway subs, just like Forest River is. There is also a Forest River RV, as opposed to Forest River Inc. He didn't want Dynamax grouped in with Forest River RV, since it is a separate subsidiary....but both are under the Forest River, Inc subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.

I think many people would be surprised to know just how many subs that Berkshire Hathaway does have. Even my favorite Dairy Queen is one of theirs, along with my Heinz ketchup.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/subs/sublinks.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
There are some Chevy drivers that would
This previous Ford owner would too! But I really have found out it is not good to bow and pray to a certain vehicle manufacturer like many appear to do. However, from my previous experience, for me to buy a Ford would be very difficult; not enough heartburn medicine in the world.
I go for the best price and service in the area I live.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's not necessarily an accurate statement when you look at Forest River, Inc.

Forest River Inc., is a US manufacturer of recreational vehicles, cargo trailers, utility trailers, pontoon boats, and buses

Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons

• Coachmen RV
  • Shasta RV
  • Palomino RV
  • Forest River RV
  • Dynamax Corporation
  • Glaval Bus
  • Elkhart Coach
  • Starcraft Bus
  • AmeraLite
  • Cargo Mate
  • Continental Cargo
  • Haulin Trailers
  • Lightning Trailers
  • US Cargo
  • Berkshire Pontoon
  • South Bay Pontoon
  • Trifecta Pontoon
  • Qualridge
  • Berkshire Coach
The point Bclemens was making is to not group up all the subsidiary companies into one ball. The subs he use as examples (Benjamin Moore Paint and Fruit of the Loom) are also Berkshire Hathaway subs, just like Forest River is. There is also a Forest River RV, as opposed to Forest River Inc. He didn't want Dynamax grouped in with Forest River RV, since it is a separate subsidiary....but both are under the Forest River, Inc subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.
Cool. Now that I know FOTL is owned by Buffett, I will enjoy placing my whitey tighties over my rump showing how I feel about Buffett.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #64
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Sir, I'd never keep you from voicing your opinion. I did not do so.

I simply pointed out that it is not 100% shared, not 100% obviously true, and there is another valid side to the discussion. Nothing more.

Same as the man who said "FR is not producing a product worthy of its price". I believe in general, that they are.

I would heartily welcome changes to foment positive change so that no defects were ever found. I just doubt anyone could afford such a product that has so few units, and thus so few points for potential profit, in its annual production. That's simply my opinion. Worth less than yours, but valid to me nonetheless.
Y
FWIW (Not much I realize), I come here to learn how to better utilize the unit that I do have, how to fix issues that invariably arise, where to go, how to get there, those kinds of things..........way more than I do to listen to industry bashing due to wishful thinking.
Your point is taken and respected.l
Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #65

A basic "Lemon Law" would go along way keeping the bad guys
from skirting a responsible resolution when they mess up.
It's time.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
A basic "Lemon Law" would go along way keeping the bad guys
from skirting a responsible resolution when they mess up.
It's time.
Agree.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #67
txkreddog

Probably more than a typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
It just covfefe.
We haven't gotten the letter yet, but it probably makes as much sense.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:34 AM   #68

Point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

• Coachmen RV
  • Shasta RV
  • Palomino RV
  • Forest River RV
  • Dynamax Corporation
  • Glaval Bus
  • Elkhart Coach
  • Starcraft Bus
  • AmeraLite
  • Cargo Mate
  • Continental Cargo
  • Haulin Trailers
  • Lightning Trailers
  • US Cargo
  • Berkshire Pontoon
  • South Bay Pontoon
  • Trifecta Pontoon
  • Qualridge
  • Berkshire Coach

I think many people would be surprised to know just how many subs that Berkshire Hathaway does have. Even my favorite Dairy Queen is one of theirs, along with my Heinz ketchup.

LINKS TO BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY SUB. COMPANIES
My point was that the core competencies for making pontoon boats, travel trailers, motorhomes, buses and utility trailers are more complimentary than they are distinctly unique. A lot more similarities across the various divisions of Forest River, Inc. than differences.

I understand what you and Mr. Clemens were saying. I really don't think there are huge differences in quality and/or service across the companies under the FR, Inc. umbrella. Maybe there is data to dispute that, but I haven't seen it.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #69
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Cool. Now that I know FOTL is owned by Buffett, I will enjoy placing my whitey tighties over my rump showing how I feel about Buffett.
What do you have against Warren Buffet? He buys and invests in profitable companies but he doesn’t manage or operate them. He makes lots of money for those who invest in his company Berkshire Hathaway. To go with that he is a generous philanthropist, an admirable trait if you ask me.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

I understand what you and Mr. Clemens were saying. I really don't think there are huge differences in quality and/or service across the companies under the FR, Inc. umbrella. Maybe there is data to dispute that, but I haven't seen it.

This has not been my personal experience.
FR did next to nothing to resolve the issues with my sabre. I sold it within 14 months of buying it... still with issues from the original pdi.

Swore I wouldn't buy another FR product, so I bought a Dynamax.
Their presence and support through the forums is outstanding.
The very few issues I had with my coach have been handled quickly without any dealer assistance.

That's how it should be.
You have a problem? Someone is there to help you resolve it.
Bclemens is a valuable asset to this forums and really bends over backwards to help their customers out.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I know several RV owners that have problems just like you read about on these forums. They don't read the forums so they don't post their issues. I am sure there are many like them.

Then there are owners like me who just fix it themselves because it isn't worth the hassle to tow to a dealer and have some incompetent pos screw up more things than they are supposed to fix.

I strongly believe the RV industry's problems are bigger than we realize.

Look at the engineering and quality that goes into a $40k automobile... then look at the engineering and quality that goes into a $40k camper. Sad state of affairs I tell you.

Can Toyota or Honda start building campers... That would fricken shock the RV industry.
Perhaps this is why the Airstream Basecamp designed in partnership with Nissan has quality at a higher pricetag.
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...secamp/design/

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Class action=Lawyers make TONS of money, claimants get a $12.00 discount coupon.

Screw that.

Tim
Cowracer Nailed It !!!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #73

Hey, $12 is $12, and it didn't cost me anything
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Except maybe getting your name added to FRs ***** list !!!

Old 06-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #75
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Oh, yes... Yes it will.

The Millions that go straight into the pockets of the lawyers will have to come from somewhere. Your next camper will cost a couple hundred dollars more.

But you still got your $12 coupon.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 06-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #76

Quote:
Oh, yes... Yes it will.

The Millions that go straight into the pockets of the lawyers will have to come from somewhere. Your next camper will cost a couple hundred dollars more.

Tim

So... nobody should punish a company for fear of them raising their prices. Got it.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #77

That is a long stretch to try to prove a speculative point. But, say you are right, if I don't join the class action, it happens anyway and prices go up and I'm out my $12

And besides, I will probably only buy used from now on. I'm tired of spending the first year working on the camper or it being in the shop while I eat the depreciation
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #78

Quote:
Oh, yes... Yes it will.

Tim
That's quite possible. I don't like the idea of the attorneys making the lions share and the plaintiffs getting very little.

But then maybe, just maybe, that $100K motorhome you just bought won't leak all over you as you drive it home through the rain, the transfer switch will not be wired incorrectly, the black and gray tank drain valves won't be crossed, the sidewall won't delaminate and when you call FR or the Dealer, you will actually get decent customer service.

I'd gladly have paid more for a better built MH and decent warranty service.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by actadh View Post
Perhaps this is why the Airstream Basecamp designed in partnership with Nissan has quality at a higher pricetag.
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...secamp/design/
That fact is most people want a high quality built trailer at a low budget price. It doesn't exist and never will. If all these folks complaining about quality really wanted a trailer built to last then why aren't they buying Airstream trailers? I know why, they don't want to pay the price for quality.

BTW, that itty bitty Airstream basecamp in your link was on sale at the RV show we attended this year for a mere $40,000. There wasn't a line to buy them.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #80
Who Dares, Wins

Didn't that thing land in Roswell a few years ago?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Closed Thread