Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
MCTroy

Level or not, what am I missing ?

So DH parked out 2015 Windjammer on its summer site this weekend. He made sure it was level at the doorway floor, front to back and side to side. Kitchen island and frig say they are all level too. All this is about the center of the trailer. But while I am walking in the trailer, the back door side corner feels low. Checking with the level sure enough, that corner is low. Now, I know I have stabilizing Jack's so I don't try to raise it that way. What should I do? Moving the trailer is not an option as it is set with the deck around it. The dining room slide is fully extended and looks fine. Can I jack up that side ( on the frame of course) and put a Lego under just that back wheel? Can just one corner be low and the rest of the trailer be level? Ideas?
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

It's probably possible the frame has some sag on one corner.

Really, as long as your appliances are level it's not going to hurt anything. I'd probably leave it.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Did you check level before or after running the slide out? The slide can cause you to be off level. If it is only mildly off level (ie half bubble or so) then I would just leave it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #4

If it was bothering me I would adjust the jack some.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit315 View Post

The jacks are not meant to level the trailer, doing so can bend either the jack or the frame.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The jacks are not meant to level the trailer, doing so can bend either the jack or the frame.
I understand that but I've made some fine tuned adjustments to my old TT and were able to get everything just right. I wasn't saying to put an impact on it and bend it.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
MCTroy

DH leveled the trailer with the slide in. I will check it again next weekend to see if it has settled. The site is on loose gravel and typically the trailer so is in a little. Since the frog is ok, we may ignore the slight dip. DH likes that answer and he can't feel it anyway. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #8

If the frig is pretty close to level & you dont roll out of the bed. Id say all should be good. Next time you set up it might be off just a bit the other way ??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit315 View Post
absolutely correct! Nothing wrong with that IMO. If your initial L2R and F2B is pretty close to level, you should be able to "tweak the bubble" with cordless drill with no ill effect to the rig, frame, drill or stabilizers
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Site Team

You mentioned that it's loose gravel, so it is possible that one corner jack has sunken. I wouldn't try bumping them up, instead, I'd first go under the trailer and check multiple places on the frame with the level to determine if it's level everywhere. This should also let you know if you have more sink front to back or left to right.

If the frame's uniform, and everything has sunken, then you could re-level it. If it's front to back that's off level, not much on an issue, you just raise the stabilizers, adjust the tongue jack back to level, and put the stabilizers back down. If it's left to right, then it's a bit more of a pain and like you said, you'd have to jack up the trailer to get some boards under the low side before putting it back down. A fairly difficult process, and only necessary if it's really going to bother you.

If the frame is not uniform, which your description leads me to believe is more likely the case, then you'd have to raise your stabilizers, block up the low point as appropriate and then put the stabilizers back down to see if that helps the flex in the frame. Don't put undo stress on the frame, just apply enough force to snug them up like you normally would. If the frame's still un-uniform after that, then you can either leave it as is, or un-seasonal the site, pull it out and take it to a dealer to deal with. Again, I wouldn't try forcing the frame.

Either way though, if you do try adjusting anything, I'd also look at what you're using to block things up to see if you can help prevent it from sinking again. With the TT I used to carry 4 pieces of 1/4" plywood cut 1' x 2' that I would put down as the base under my blocks when in loose or soft ground so that I would have a wide stable base.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You mentioned that it's loose gravel, so it is possible that one corner jack has sunken. I wouldn't try bumping them up, instead, I'd first go under the trailer and check multiple places on the frame with the level to determine if it's level everywhere. This should also let you know if you have more sink front to back or left to right.

If the frame's uniform, and everything has sunken, then you could re-level it. If it's front to back that's off level, not much on an issue, you just raise the stabilizers, adjust the tongue jack back to level, and put the stabilizers back down. If it's left to right, then it's a bit more of a pain and like you said, you'd have to jack up the trailer to get some boards under the low side before putting it back down. A fairly difficult process, and only necessary if it's really going to bother you.

If the frame is not uniform, which your description leads me to believe is more likely the case, then you'd have to raise your stabilizers, block up the low point as appropriate and then put the stabilizers back down to see if that helps the flex in the frame. Don't put undo stress on the frame, just apply enough force to snug them up like you normally would. If the frame's still un-uniform after that, then you can either leave it as is, or un-seasonal the site, pull it out and take it to a dealer to deal with. Again, I wouldn't try forcing the frame.

Either way though, if you do try adjusting anything, I'd also look at what you're using to block things up to see if you can help prevent it from sinking again. With the TT I used to carry 4 pieces of 1/4" plywood cut 1' x 2' that I would put down as the base under my blocks when in loose or soft ground so that I would have a wide stable base.
Great info and ideas. I like the idea of checking level at the frame. Right now the wheels aren't on anything. I think we need to put them on legos or a board. May need to jack up the trailer to that since moving it again would require tearing apart the deck around it.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

I would think that 1/4" plywood is too flexible to support a 4000+ lb trailer on soft ground. Might be ok for a pup.
I have 8 sets of cinder blocks under my trailer and I have to re-level it every 2 - 3 years because they sink in over time.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I would think that 1/4" plywood is too flexible to support a 4000+ lb trailer on soft ground. Might be ok for a pup.
I have 8 sets of cinder blocks under my trailer and I have to re-level it every 2 - 3 years because they sink in over time.
I don't use only the 1/4". Standard blocks were 2x8s cut 10" long. The plywood was just used to help the 2x8s spread their load over a larger area.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

putting wood blocks under the stab jacks is a good idea. We use 4x6 cut into 10" lengths under our stab jacks. This keeps the jacks from sinking into the ground as much and makes things a little more stable.