Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #21

Thank y'all for the help. I have a torpedo level and a 2ft and 4 ft level.
071567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #22

The only place I could put my level on the A frame would be between the battery box and the front cap.
071567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
It's easy enough to attach a level, as I have done on our A-frame in the picture below.
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Fred,

I think you may have that level installed upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200804_123802.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	254068  
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Fred,

I think you may have that level installed upside down
This forum and Firefox don't seem to get along well for uploading photos - or paragraph formatting either.

Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071567 View Post
If you don't have any kind of level affixed to your TT , then what is the best way to level your TT.
If you are by yourself, how would you level side to side.
I pretty much do it by myself. Level side to side first by pulling into the site, placing level across the tongue, then putting Andersen levelers under the low side. Pull up on those, get out, check level then adjust. After experience I am usually done side to side after only 2 checks.

Unhook the trailer, and I place the the magnetically attached level onto the frame underneath the trailer on the door side. Using the tongue jack I level front to back. Yeah I have to go back and forth a few times but no big deal to me.

Last step is to forget that I left the level attached to the frame and before the next trip, make a run to Lowes and buy a new level.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
This forum and Firefox don't seem to get along well for uploading photos - or paragraph formatting either.

Fred W
I import my pictures from postimages.org. Never a problem doing it that way.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a little $3 pocket-size level that I use. I guesstimate how many Lynx levelers are needed and check again. I usually get it the first time around. If not, I add another layer of levelers.
If you use the hopkins levelers like in post#13 it will tell you how many lynx blocks to use. I set the slide side 1'' higher, once the slides are out it's virtually level. A slight adjustment to the stabilizer Jack's an I'm all set.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #28

Quote:
What about if you have to drive up on some blocks. It would help if you had someone there to tell you when to stop

I was brand new to this a couple months ago and (at least with a pop up) you will see/feel once you are up on the block.

Happy camping!
PopUpPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #29

Quote:
If you don't have any kind of level affixed to your TT , then what is the best way to level your TT.
PUt some water in a plastic cup like a Solo glass so it is level with one of the horizontal lines on the glass. When you're level, the water will be lined up with the line.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:50 PM   #30

Leveling

I think it is pretty clear that you should purchase a couple of small camper levels and install them on the front of the trailer where you can easily see the bubbles. This will tell you which side you need to raise and how far out you are front to back. It does not have to be perfect. Just comfortable. The rest is something you will learn over time.
I've owned pups and 40+' fivers and it is pretty much the same technique.
Experience will be your best teacher.
I've also discovered that most all campers are pretty good folks and are willing to help if you need it.
Safe Travels and Best of Luck!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:

Assuming you have a smartphone, you can download a bubble level app on it and lay it on the tongue A-frame or atop the back bumper and see how level your setup is. If too low on one side, just add wooden planks or plastic leveler blocks in layers under the tires as you pull the TT forward onto them until you reach level, testing with the bubble level as you go. This will get the side to side level. Move the bubble level to the tongue and adjust the tongue jack to make it level front to rear. I have done it this way several times and it works well. If you prefer using a carpenter's level instead of your phone, I picked up a really nice yellow plastic 18" level at the Dollar Tree for $1. You can lay it on the A-Frame and bumper to level using it. Good Luck Camping .............Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Okay I just found an Andriod App Called "Level with Voice" free... All youi would need to do is setup a holder for your phone attached to the trailer drivers side. Insert the phone run the app it's like having the $199.00 level tool. The Phones GPS does everything. Roll down the window and you will hear when you are level. The Beep is pretty loud.

Level with voice 4+
Spirit level with voice prompt
Jia Hua Huang

For Apple and Andriod
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 170616.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	255009
Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
1) You back in to where you want the camper and check the level.
2) You pull forward two to three feet and set up your blocks.
3) You back up the camper the same amount that you pulled forward.
4) Check to see if you are on the blocks and correct as needed.
5) Double check level.
6) CHALK THE WHEELS
7) Disconnect from the tow vehicle and level front to back.
8) Lower the stabilizing jacks. Only enough to keep the camper from rocking, not to lift or level with.
This is my exact procedure!
PEARCE05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:57 PM   #34

As stated above. The Level Mate Pro is a great way to go. Once you get it set up you will love it.
pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #35

tin can method

In a pinch, when my level got busted, I used the tin can method. Go inside, take a can of vegetables and put it on the floor. See which way it rolls and how fast. I kept forgetting to replace the level, so I used that can for a couple of months.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 PM   #36

Very Helpful Thread! Thank you all!

I gotta say that this thread came across my email and couldn't have been more timely for me! I am picking up my new travel trailer next Tuesday - a Xtreme Outdoors Little Guy Mini Max. I was concerned how best to level my trailer, especially since I am almost always camping by myself.

Y'all saved the day with your great advice! Thanks so much! I got this!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:08 PM   #37

Those levels you attach to your trailer might work fine in the south, but I'm not so sure they wouldn't freeze in northern tier states. I just keep a torpedo level in each trailer. When I winterize my Alaska trailer I pull out everything of value and anything that can be damaged by freezing.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #38

"how much"

Quote:
(I've "copy and paste" this post from a recent very similar thread, it's late and that's too much to retype, ...)

IMO the most important thing to know when leveling is "how much", when you know that there's no need for trial and error, ... our Micro Lite 25KS is 8ft wide, using the rear bumper as my standard, a two ft level and 1/4" blocks will quickly show me exactly how much I need to lift, (each 1/4" block = 1" lift), ... once you know "how much", no matter what you use to lift(lego blocks, the Andersen, wood blocks, marshmallows, or marbles) the guessing is over, .... I've used and even praised the Andersen leveler in the past, but it does not compare with the simplicity of using wooden blocks, ... once I know "how much", I stack what I need, drive on and I'm level, no having to set the emergency brake, get out to go set the Andersen chocks to hold it there, and then also when leaving, I don't have to move forward just enough to take the weight off of the Andersen chock piece, again set the emergency brake to hold it there, then go remove the Andersen chock and then roll back off of the Andersen, I just drive off the blocks, ...

you asked "what is the best way to level your TT.", IMO, it doesn't get any easier than this, ...

Attached Thumbnails

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Those levels you attach to your trailer might work fine in the south, but I'm not so sure they wouldn't freeze in northern tier states. I just keep a torpedo level in each trailer. When I winterize my Alaska trailer I pull out everything of value and anything that can be damaged by freezing.
Had those on both TT last 10 years in sub freezing temps and no problems..
Northern IN.
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #40

I have leveled mine alone for years. Four foot level inside door on floor. Slowly getting level. Once completed, I detach and level front to back. I have a small bubble levels on the trailer but found they are inaccurate. That's why I bring a four footer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO311fan View Post
The first thing I do when I arrive at camp is level side to side using a two foot level across the A arm at the front of the trailer. Later in the setup process when I have unhooked, I place that same level (mine has magnets) on the frame of the trailer and level front to back. This can all be done alone.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling