Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 06:41 AM   #1

Leveling

If you don't have any kind of level affixed to your TT , then what is the best way to level your TT.
If you are by yourself, how would you level side to side.
071567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

The first thing I do when I arrive at camp is level side to side using a two foot level across the A arm at the front of the trailer. Later in the setup process when I have unhooked, I place that same level (mine has magnets) on the frame of the trailer and level front to back. This can all be done alone.
MO311fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO311fan View Post
The first thing I do when I arrive at camp is level side to side using a two foot level across the A arm at the front of the trailer. Later in the setup process when I have unhooked, I place that same level (mine has magnets) on the frame of the trailer and level front to back. This can all be done alone.
What about if you have to drive up on some blocks. It would help if you had someone there to tell you when to stop
071567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #4

Pull up to where you want your camper and put your level across the A frame and see which side needs blocks. Put blocks next to the tires, back up a couple of feet, slide blocks into place, then pull forward a couple of feet. Before you back up pick a spot on the ground (or place a marker of some sort) outside the drivers window that you want to match up with when you are back in place.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #5

Yes it would help to have someone else there, but you can do it alone. You got this!
Old 05-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #6

I purchased a LevelMatePRO and Andersen levelers for this reason. It is a bit pricey, but now I can level the trailer by myself.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydthompson View Post
I purchased a LevelMatePRO and Andersen levelers for this reason. It is a bit pricey, but now I can level the trailer by myself.
X2. I got the Andersen levelers for Christmas but being in Wisconsin haven't got out to use them yet. I also bought the LevelMatePRO and from what I've read the combination will make leveling alot easier.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071567 View Post
What about if you have to drive up on some blocks. It would help if you had someone there to tell you when to stop
1) You back in to where you want the camper and check the level.
2) You pull forward two to three feet and set up your blocks.
3) You back up the camper the same amount that you pulled forward.
4) Check to see if you are on the blocks and correct as needed.
5) Double check level.
6) CHALK THE WHEELS
7) Disconnect from the tow vehicle and level front to back.
8) Lower the stabilizing jacks. Only enough to keep the camper from rocking, not to lift or level with.
Neilthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #9

I've used a 2ft level fore and aft, placed on the floor inside the kitchen area. Not perfect, but close.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #10

One can reduce the trial and error on side leveling by positioning the trailer where one wants it. Then place a 2' level on the back bumper, then level the level using 1/4" spacers. Each 1/4" = 1". Say it takes two spacers that will be 2" of rise needed. No back and forth placing or removing leveling blocks.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
6) CHALK THE WHEELS
I might recommend chocking the wheels rather thank chalking them. Chocking the wheels with tire chocks will keep the trailer from rolling. Chalking the wheels with something like industrial or sidewalk chalk will only tell you if the trailer has moved when the chalk line on the tire no longer matches the chalk line on the pavement.

Before I got my trailer with LevelMatePro already installed, I would put the trailer about 1 foot from where I wanted it to be in final position. Measure side to side level with a bubble level sitting on the a-frame tongue. Put the guesstimated number of required blocks under the low side. Then back up or pull forward onto the blocks. I never had a spotter for this, just either watch the tires in the mirror if you can see them, or watch for trailer to rise in the mirror on the low side.

Set the vehicle parking brake! Then when you are satisfied with trailer side to side level and you are on the blocks, chock the wheels and disconnect tow vehicle. Then, of course, front-to-back level is easily adjusted with the tongue jack before lowering stabilizer jacks.

Now I use LevelMatePro and Camco curved leveling ramps.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
X3
Old 05-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #13

purchase these from amazon
position them to be seen from your rearview mirror
often just backing in you can find the most level SPOT in the pad just by looking at the bubble in the mirror
they are graduated... each line means 1 inch out of level
1/2 a bubble is close enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	levels.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	253988  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #14

I have a little $3 pocket-size level that I use. I guesstimate how many Lynx levelers are needed and check again. I usually get it the first time around. If not, I add another layer of levelers.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
2012 Solera

If no level - Beer or coke can on the table - front-to-rear, then side-to-side. No roll - level. Slow roll - one lynx leveler block. Etc.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
If you don't have any kind of level affixed to your TT , then what is the best way to level your TT.
It's easy enough to attach a level, as I have done on our A-frame in the picture below. But laying a portable level across the tongue frame achieves the same purpose.Attachment 254001

Once we have the A-frame where we want in the site, DW takes dog for a walk while I set up. Or if I'm by myself, I tie up dog and proceed.
  • Level side to side. Read off on the level how many orange legos I need - each inch is one lego. Put the appropriate number behind the low tire and back up 6". Done. Sometimes, I'll use a piece of 3/4" plywood if one lego block is too much.
  • Chock wheels using 4 rubber chocks ($5 ea at Harbor Freight). I have seen the plastic chocks not hold the camper in high winds.
  • Slip a 3/4" plywood disk on top of a couple of the orange legos. Raise tongue, disconnect WDH bars, lower tongue, unlatch coupler, raise tongue, remove safety chains and cables, drive tow vehicle forward 2-4ft. Lower/adjust tongue until level fore and aft (2 ft level on roof)
  • Raise roof and side panels, go inside, latch side panels to roof, open dormer, and latch dormer roof to front panel
  • lower stabilizers to touch ground.
  • hook up any utilities such as electric or gray water bucket
  • enjoying camping in less than 15 minutes, takes longer to type this than to do
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_170450.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	254000   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200804_123802.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	254002  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #17

Quote:
I know that I skipped a lot of useful knowledge by going through the trials and tribulations of learning to level my trailer with bubble levels but I installed a Levelmate Pro and I got my trailer leveled really quick and easy using the app on my phone. It tells you how off you are to the 1/4 of an inch on all four sides and also front and back. It was totally worth the money. Keeping the trailer leveled once I unhitched and deployed the scissor jacks was another story. Things started to change a bit. That I will have to learned on my own or hopefully from some of you guys.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
I know that I skipped a lot of useful knowledge by going through the trials and tribulations of learning to level my trailer with bubble levels but I installed a Levelmate Pro and I got my trailer leveled really quick and easy using the app on my phone. It tells you how off you are to the 1/4 of an inch on all four sides and also front and back. It was totally worth the money. Keeping the trailer leveled once I unhitched and deployed the scissor jacks was another story. Things started to change a bit. That I will have to learned on my own or hopefully from some of you guys.
You should not be using the scissor jacks to level, only stabilize. Once level all around the lower the stabilizer jacks.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
You should not be using the scissor jacks to level, only stabilize. Once level all around the lower the stabilizer jacks.
Clarification:

I used Anderson levelers to level the trailer, THEN , I deployed the scissor jacks to stabilize it.

*I have questions about this process but will post a separate thread in the general forum later on.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #20

Quote:

Hopefully you have some sort of bubble level with you, if so there are lots of good suggestions already.

if you don’t have a bubble level with you, put your frying pan on the counter and pour a bit of water in it. If the water stays centered and even you are level, if it flows to one side then you need to make adjustments.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling