Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #1

Leveling on hill with jacks and wood

I've got a Sunseeker with leveling jacks built in and next week will be boondocking on a hillside where one long side of the RV will be a foot or more off level so pretty sure the jacks will push the tires off the ground. I plan to bring wood blocks to put under the tires on that side.
My question is: Will wood blocks be sufficient (2X6s)? AND, for my duel back tires do I block both duelly tires or is just the outside tire good enough?
Thanks for the tips!
jlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #2

A foot is allot of difference. It is not recommended that the rear tires be off the ground they are what hold the rig in place. I think what I would do and have done with my rig move into the spot then mark where the uphill tires will be move the rig and with a shovel dig down where the tires sit. A six or eight inch depression combined with the front and both dual tires on 4x4s will bring you almost level and the jacks can take the weight off the suspension. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #3

Good idea. I will be sure to have a shovel, but I am not sure they will be cool with me digging big holes (festival). If I cannot dig, are there safer ways to block the duel wheels?
jlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #4

That was my best and safest idea. something to consider is that you don't over extend the jacks trying to get level. use blocks under the downhill side jack pads.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
A foot is allot of difference. It is not recommended that the rear tires be off the ground they are what hold the rig in place. I think what I would do and have done with my rig move into the spot then mark where the uphill tires will be move the rig and with a shovel dig down where the tires sit. A six or eight inch depression combined with the front and both dual tires on 4x4s will bring you almost level and the jacks can take the weight off the suspension. JMHO
Agreed. I've dug many a hole on the uphill side to minimize the lift height on the downhill side. We camp lakeside, and there's always a slope, so my pick mattock and shovel have been used a lot.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling