RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #1

Leveling on slope down

Hi

Just picked up my brand new Coachmen Ultra Lite got it to my site and was told by a neighbor that the site was too sloped and could not be leveled front to back unless you raised the back end up. Me being new thought "I got this no problem" so I backed in level side to side was perfect, but front to back was off so I lowered my tongue jack all the way and it was still off. Huh what do you know the neighbor was right, HAHAHAHA! So it looks like the site is low in the back compared to the front and the front tongue jack cant lower enough to compensate. I used a set of curved levelers on the rear tandem axel and that made a bit of an improvement but the front axel has nothing under it. Do the RV pros on this forum think another set of curved levelers on the front tandem to make an even 4inch lift on all wheels might help or is this not recommended? Also are extra wheel chocks required when up on camco curved levelers, I wouldn't be able to add any if I have all wheels up on curved levelers.

Any help would be great, Thank You.
Sierra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #2

Lay down some concrete patio stones and build the ramps to the height you need. You can keep things flat and chock your wheels nicely. Cheap and they won't sink into the soil much.
MtBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:42 AM   #3

I would be using the lego style levelers with more on the rear wheel and enough stacked that the tongue could drop. You may have to have enough length wise to use a chalk but I wouldn’t trust it. X-chalks would be best to keep the trailer from rolling forward.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the great ideas, I will lift all four tires with what ever I get creative with. I like the paver idea. I am using it with just the one axle up four inches and the bubble on the level is just touching the other side of the level line. I will get some more leveling material and bring it up to perfect. Everything seems to work and feel fine the way it is right now though. Anyways Thanks again for the ideas.
Sierra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

I'm having trouble visualizing the site and leveling.
One word of caution. When you level that rig, either level back to front OR side to side. Whatever you do, don't level so that it twists the frame.
If this is a permanent site, you might want to talk to the office about getting that pad leveled or if it's temporary, see if they can give you a more level site. Unfortunately sometimes if they know you're a 'newbie', they might give you an unsuitable site.
It's nice to have a helpful neighbor. You might ask their assistance in leveling. They may know how others have done it.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Yes... what Reverse Snowbird said!
Did the owners know you were a newbie? If so, they may sell a video to “America’s Funniest....” (just kidding!).
I have had to do some innovative leveling techniques on sites where I am in transit and just staying over night. Do it a couple of times and you become a pro!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
I would be using the lego style levelers with more on the rear wheel and enough stacked that the tongue could drop. You may have to have enough length wise to use a chalk but I wouldn’t trust it. X-chalks would be best to keep the trailer from rolling forward.
Just had to use my Lego Levelers at my Daughter's house, in her driveway. Piece of cake. I carry enough of them to make full ramps and use wheel chocks on the lego's. Also had build up pads for the rear jacks. More lego's.

I can carry more Lego's than I can concrete pavers.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #8

Hey TitanMike... just curious here ( not meaning to steal thread): How much life can one expect from those Lego Levelers? I had some years ago and broke a couple. I have been using PT wood for the past 7 years after getting back into RV’ing, and that wood is starting to get enough cracks where I will have a “re-do” this coming year.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
BMullins46

Whne we camped with our TT I carried at least 4-10 block sets of the "leggo" leveling blocks. I watched the sale ads from Camping world and bought replacement sets as needed. Now that I have a 5er with the levelup system I haven't worried about carrying blocks, but it might be a good idea to carry some just in case. Had a site in West Virginia that was close but I pulled far enough forward to make it work.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Hey TitanMike... just curious here ( not meaning to steal thread): How much life can one expect from those Lego Levelers? I had some years ago and broke a couple. I have been using PT wood for the past 7 years after getting back into RV’ing, and that wood is starting to get enough cracks where I will have a “re-do” this coming year.
I bought mine shortly after i brought my TT home in July 2017. I have one square that is a little worse for wear nut that's it.

I make sure to have them firmly interlocked and on flat surface before placing trailer on them. Sometimes I have to move some gravel around or find a shovel full of dirt to flatten out a rocky surface.

I used to carry pieces of 1-1/4" flooring plywood. Hated how 2X lumber split.

Changed to the legos for space and weight.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

I carry 10" 4x6 blocks to put under my stabilizer jacks. Had to use legos to ramp up to those on each side to level in a rural commercial camp ground. Chocks were screwed to the back of each, then the legos were used under the rear jacks. The owners had done a lot of work to upgrade the park and did it nicely except they failed to order enough gravel to level the sites front to back.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #12

villagerjjm

Quote:
We have the leggo type and they've held up well. However, you do have to be careful when you buy them. Some are rated for higher load than others. I didn't matter when we had a lightweight trailer. It makes a big difference with our heaver mh.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #13
Tundra 2014

Leggos

My orange ones are going on 7 years w/ no problem. I carry 25 bottoms and 5 tops. The instructions say, do not stack higher than 5.More stable than extending stabilizers further.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Ive been using he same PT 2x6s for about 14 years now and they are still just fine.

Tags
leveling