Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Leveling Scissor Jacks

My TT has cheap scissor stabilizing jacks (factory installed) and I am looking to replace them with more sturdy leveling jacks for stability and the ability to get an inch or so of leveling ability out of new jacks. For those who have these type of jacks, either that you have installed or came with your unit, what band have you used that work well for you?

I have looked at a set of 24" BALs and 24" Huskys thus far. Any experience with these two brands and their quality?
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

You never want to level the trail with the jacks (no matter how strong they are) the trailer frame is not strong enough. You will end up bending your frame if you try and level with jacks.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

HV,

Yes, I am not looking to get any more than an inch or inch and a half, tires still on the ground. Primarily I want something more stable than the cheapos that are on it now. I do use blocks and a ramp for serious leveling but sometimes even one block is too much. It is cases like this I want to be able to level it out ever so slightly.
Central Ohio
Old 07-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Even an inch or inch and a half is an issue. Doors will stick, windows won't open. Those stabilizers and frames are designed for little upward pressure. Just a kiss on the ground plus a couple of twists. You can easily over crank, even by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

I guess I have been lucky then. I have used additional stabilizers (screw jacks) to accomplish this for about four years on two different units. I tend put two or three on each side down the frame and have not yet had an issue. Actually has made the TT pretty stable.

I will mention again I am more looking for better stabilization from the jacks. The factory installed ones are super cheap and wobble. This is another reason I put 4 - 6 additional stabilizers down the frame. I would love to cut that in half or to zero if I can find better jacks to stabilize.
Central Ohio
Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #6

If the motion you are trying to remove is side to side motion of the jack I wounder if something like JT strong arms might help http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...iler-kit/69725

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

That looks like a pretty solid system...now I just need to find it on sale!
Central Ohio
Old 07-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Always Learning

The SteadyFast system is cheaper than the JT Strong. And some handy folks have made them on their own.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #9

I got a pair of scissor jacks from an auto wrecking yard for less than $20.00. They had never been used and with the two included handles, I cut one to fit a 18V electric drill. I found the best vehicles for these were GM vans. Most wrecks in the yard had never used their tire jacks. The first pair I had installed were purchased from a RV dealer for $100.00 plus labour at the welding shop. The welding shop suggested the auto wreckers for scissor jacks. Having electric jacks was awesome.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

It is my understanding that the stabilizers are not to take the weight of the trailer, only to reduce the motion. The ones that came on my Wildcat has a label that states not to level with them that they can't take the weight.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
I guess I have been lucky then. I have used additional stabilizers (screw jacks) to accomplish this for about four years on two different units. I tend put two or three on each side down the frame and have not yet had an issue. Actually has made the TT pretty stable.

I will mention again I am more looking for better stabilization from the jacks. The factory installed ones are super cheap and wobble. This is another reason I put 4 - 6 additional stabilizers down the frame. I would love to cut that in half or to zero if I can find better jacks to stabilize.
You are on the right track contrary to the previous responses... I put 4 scissor jacks around ALL of my campers. I put one in front of and one rearward of the axles on both sides... I level side to side as you are wanting to do by an inch or so as well... all this is doing is unloading the suspension to help take the spring out of walking around... It has worked great for me in the past and is working great currently... I wouldn't recommend putting a ton of pressure really far back as mentioned this is when you can tweak the frame and cause issues with the doors... but i do not see any harm in having them near the axles...

infact, my previous trailer had a tire blow out one time and to get the tire off and back on (front axle) I put both scissor jacks on the rear side of the axles down and used the tongue jack to raise the front and wa la... I even went inside while it was like this to use the restroom and all doors seemed to function as needed...

As far as brand I had BAL. I didn't like their hand cranks but the jacks were very stout. I can't imagine you could go wrong with either...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Old Ram Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetanu539 View Post
My TT has cheap scissor stabilizing jacks (factory installed) and I am looking to replace them with more sturdy leveling jacks for stability and the ability to get an inch or so of leveling ability out of new jacks. For those who have these type of jacks, either that you have installed or came with your unit, what band have you used that work well for you?

I have looked at a set of 24" BALs and 24" Huskys thus far. Any experience with these two brands and their quality?

I installed a pair of the Husky jacks just forward of the front wheels which gave me a greater ability to level the trailer. I was also trying to stop the bounce in the trailer when someone moved inside so I also installed a set of the Steadyfast stabilizers. That took care of almost all of my side to side movement and most of the forward to rear movement of the trailer. I recently started using the X-chock (just one) and now I have almost no forward to rear movement at all. That all runs into some expense but I was pretty determined to stop the bouncing trailer syndrome without screwing up my frame. This works for me and perhaps trying one of these solutions at a time will give you the stability and leveling capability your looking for. I would recommend the Husky jacks first. I'm a little skeptical of the weak frame discussions only because I've seen many trailers, including the one I have now, jacked up to grease bearings, change tires wheels etc and they simply jack it up on the frame. I have never seen any frame damaged from getting serviced this way. My opinion is that the factory installed jacks are much weaker than the frame and will give out before any frame damage occurs. I'm sure if you try to use jacks to level a trailer in large increments that you can damage not only the jacks but the frame too if you don't use common sense. The best way to level a trailer is to use leveling pads and the hitch, but when it comes to fine tuning I use the jacks I've installed. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #13

It's a trailer and it's going to be giggle a bit . Lippert advises againt leveling by the frame. Trailer manufacturers advise against leveling by the frame. Yes, people do it and don't have any problems. And YOU may never have a problem. Hey, they advised me not to smoke and guess what.......after 30 years of smoking I got cancer! It's your trailer and you can do what you want after all, what do the manufacturers know?
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #14

Suspension on frame?

Placing jacks on either side of the axles (front and rear) would be lifting weight off the suspension which is always holding the frame anyway. Pictures I've seen here show much better placement of BAL "jacks" than at the ends of the frame where they can get knocked off or wrecked.
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
It's a trailer and it's going to be giggle a bit . Lippert advises againt leveling by the frame. Trailer manufacturers advise against leveling by the frame. Yes, people do it and don't have any problems. And YOU may never have a problem. Hey, they advised me not to smoke and guess what.......after 30 years of smoking I got cancer! It's your trailer and you can do what you want after all, what do the manufacturers know?
I have a Lippert auto level system that uses jacks in the front and back to level the 5er. Check with you RV manufacture they can give your the info if you 5er can have the auto level system installed on it or not. Most modern TT & 5er you can install the auto level as aftermarket system but check with your manufacture first. Lippert says you can use auto level is limited to level 3 degrees left and right and ok if the one sides wheel come off the ground. I don't don't allow my wheels to loose contact with the ground but that just me.....

Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling