Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Leveling with 2 slides on same side

Hello. I have a 2018 Puma 32RKTS with two slides on the drivers side, no slides on the other side. Wondering if anyone else has a trailer with slides only on one side? If so, do you have issues getting the left-to-right level to work? I have a center bubble level that I put on the door entrance as my level guide, but it seems like the front of the trailer is always leaning towards the slide out side due to the weight.

Thanks....scott
scottbridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #2

Many, many trailers have only one slide.............I used to have one. I did have a lot of trouble leveling it all the way around.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

our Sunseeker has a full side slide on the drivers side. When setting up for the night I set up so I am about an inch higher on the drivers side than the passenger side and then when I move the slide out I am pretty close to level. I will take you a while to figure out how much higher you will need the slide side to be but once you figure it out, it will always be the same, so then all you need to do is level the rig and then add the correct amount of blocking to the slide side.

Hope this is of some help.

PS. They make a level app for your cell phone that is pretty slick, if you have a flat back phone. its a circle with a bubble in the center. we have a glass cover on the gas stove so we place the phone there to figure level out. Leveling the stove will also level the fridge and keep the frying pan from sliding off and messing up dinner.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

I level left & right first shimming under the tires until level, chock wheels, unhook, level front to back using tongue jack with slide in. Once level both ways I drop stab jacks and tighten them up, check level again to make sure then use my telescopic jack stands before and after axles under the frame, then deploy slide. I have never had my slide side of the trailer sag once I deployed my slide. While mine isn't huge it is 13 feet. I would imagine if you are seeing a shift there is no way it is stabile inside when somebody moves around....sounds like the suspension is doing all of the work.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #5

Sunseeker24, what is the name of the app you use?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
I use one called Bubble Level.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #7

I have two slides on mine and it's a 33'. I have learned that it will be a learning process. I have bought chocks and blocks but I feel that I still need a scizzor jack or two.
BrandoSmash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #8

Newbie here. I saw a YouTube video, salesman type demonstrating how to level a trailer. It was on concrete so it wasn't that difficult. The trailer had one slide on the driver's side. He ran it out before he started leveling. Why would that be a problem?
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
PhD, Common Sense

I would think it would be a problem if you now have to move your RV to put one side up on leveling blocks. You'd better be more adept than George of the Jungle at watching out for that tree.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #10

That is obvious. I am more interested in mechanical or safety reasons to not do it.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

You asked. I answered.

People who ask should be more accepting of answers.

Moving on.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #12

No offense meant. But being new to this world I am looking for more than the intuitively obvious. Thank you for taking the time to answer. I found the George comment funny and appropriate. My suspicion is that somewhere in an obscure owners manual is a caution to only run out the slide with the trailer leveled.

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
No offense meant. But being new to this world I am looking for more than the intuitively obvious. Thank you for taking the time to answer. I found the George comment funny and appropriate. My suspicion is that somewhere in an obscure owners manual is a caution to only run out the slide with the trailer leveled.

Thanks again.

As was explained to us during our PDI our rv should be leveled before we put the slide out.

The caution is most likely due to stresses on the slide and operating mechanism if you are not level.

Will it hurt anything if you are off a bit (like when I need to in the driveway for a little while for extra room) - probably not.

We have a full wall slide on our Forester - I level then put the slide out. Does change a bit from level once we put the slide out but not enough to notice.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #14
Insert witty title here

I have 36' trailer with 2 slides on the driver's side which span nearly the entire length of the trailer. I use an app called clinometer which I can use to easily calculate how many leveling blocks I need. I will make the slides side 1" higher so that it levels out once opened.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #15

Save yourself a lot of grief and take your unit to a Level Parking Lot! leave it hooked up and Deploy the slides! Now place you level inside to see how much leveling blocks are needed to "Level side to side"! Place blocks and pull up on them.Now check "Side to Side again"! if you are level that is your "Starting Point" from Now On! If your future Campsites are "NOT level" adjust accordingly! Youroo!!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #16

Come to think of it, how many times have I walked through a opened up trailer on a dealers lot and been certain that the stabilizers were down much less level? After I leveled it out the first time with the carpenter's level, the graduated stick on Hopkins levels went on either front or back( or both) and a non graduated stick on went on the awning side between the axles( pivot point). Haven't had any need for a carpenter's level since. There's your indication of how much the slide out affects your level and that's how much to compensate for with the lynx blocks or boards, before the slides go out. Then you can fine tune with the stabilizer jacks
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post

Thanks again.

"No offense meant", yet you were condescending again.

BuhBye.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
"No offense meant", yet you were condescending again.

BuhBye.
No condescension meant. Sorry you feel that way. While I would hate to lose your valid input it would probably be best for you to ignore me in the future. On the other hand I will gladly receive your comments, even offensive ones.

Again, sorry to upset you.

Thanks to all those who took the time to enlighten me on this topic. You have been very helpful to someone new to RVing.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #19

We have had several TT's, some with just one slide on drivers side, some with multiple slides. We always level the trailer before deploying any slide. This prevents the weight of the deployed slide from causing flex of the chassis/frame before extending your levelers, which could cause binding of the slide mechanism when getting ready to break camp. We always level side to side with blocks/chocks under low side wheels, then adjust front-rear level with trailer tongue. Then deploy stabilizers, usually one at each corner of TT. Do not use stabilizers to level trailer. I use a large carpenter's level on the floor of the trailer, placed in side orientation first, then front to rear. Better than a small bubble level which can be affected by small variations in the smoothness of the floor surface
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
There are a bunch of free ones, but this is the one we use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.level&hl=en

hope this helps
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide