Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #21

RV under-carriage night lights

IMHO - It depends on your surroundings. We (maybe unusual) when camped are always aware of the setting we are camped within. Whether an organized campground or boondocking we are responsible for knowing the environment and responding appropriately. In an organized campground the users are there for the convenience, the company, and the security of a group environment so you may have to accept some compromises. If we are boondocking in the sticks by ourselves the same principle applies but obviously we are not there for the boomdocking noisy lightshow ruckus either.
In my experience there is a useful purpose of undercarriage lights. Rodents generally are known to avoid lighted areas and skulk around in the dark recesses looking for opportunities to get into the tiniest of openings to make a safe, comfy home for themselves and there young. If you have ever been in scorpion territory you know that UV lights are fantastic for spotting these little creeps. A complete ring of UV lights around the RV would definitely be handy to help keep an eye out for these poisonous intruders and who knows what other unwelcome night-crawlers might be around.

Just food for thot......
Old 04-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #22

I remain amazed and disappointed with campers that feel the need to light up 10 campsites around them. Especially the bright blue lights on the front of campers. Ok maybe it’s cool for a little while but turn if off after a while ... Please!

End of my rant.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #23

We mostly boondock - and pretty-much full time. We have had numerous mice, pack rats, chipmunks somehow get into our rig despite being very careful with limiting their ingress opportunities.

Last fall we were introduced to the concept of a perimeter moat of clear rope lights by a camper who said they solved his problem. We began using this method in December and haven't had any intruders since, and in mostly desert camping.

I don't know if they work, or we're just lucky; but we'll continue using them and see what happens.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #24

The reason for the rope lights is to keep the pack rats from getting into your rig. There is a flashing light that's made to go in the engine compartment also. I was told the Cottonwood AZ. area was really bad for rats this winter. I know a guy that had one get in his motorhome two years ago that did a lot of damage.
Also I do know of some parks that won't allow any lights at all.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #25

Lighting Up Your Campsite at Night

We also like dark. We have a solution for those who have to walk dogs or any other quick outside visit. Buy one or two of the cheap battery powered sensor activated lights. C OR D battery size. I quickly built a wooden stand for each, and they get placed where any motion at the door will activate. The beauty of this: a few minutes without motion, the lights will shut off.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

Ok, I think I'm finally happy to live and camp in NJ area. Pack rats, scorpions, poisonous critters, oh my! Keep them where they are. Fire ants too. We have none of that nonsense here. Just suffocating taxes and too much traffic. It's almost a fair trade.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #27

Actually, we have brown recluse spiders, black widow spiders, timber rattlesnakes and Northern copperheads. Not to mention "the Jersey Devil".
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Ok, I think I'm finally happy to live and camp in NJ area. Pack rats, scorpions, poisonous critters, oh my! Keep them where they are. Fire ants too. We have none of that nonsense here. Just suffocating taxes and too much traffic. It's almost a fair trade.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #28

If you haven't experienced a scorpion hunt in the desert night you have no idea what it really means to be outdoors. If you have, like I have, then you are always looking for the best darn UV flashlight available online - at any cost.
I'm just sayin'........I was amazed at how they glow in a VU beam and had no idea the critter was even there without the light. So - the more light the better.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We also are in the less light is better for us camp.

With that said, I have no issues with the neighbors lighting up their awning area like a runway to play board games or cards with the kiddos and seeing folks enjoying something other than everyone staring at a screen.

I do expect however, that when quiet time comes around (usually 10:00-11:00 PM) that those lights go out and quiet time is enforced.

That is all part of camping in a public campground. If you want to do something different or are expecting something different, you need to camp elsewhere.
Agree totally. It's all about being respectful of others.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 04-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Agree totally. It's all about being respectful of others.
Which is in short supply anymore.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 04-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #31

Quote:
We also are in the less light is better for us camp.

With that said, I have no issues with the neighbors lighting up their awning area like a runway to play board games or cards with the kiddos and seeing folks enjoying something other than everyone staring at a screen.

I do expect however, that when quiet time comes around (usually 10:00-11:00 PM) that those lights go out and quiet time is enforced.

That is all part of camping in a public campground. If you want to do something different or are expecting something different, you need to camp elsewhere.
I totally agree
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #32

Running lights

The oddest thing I’ve seen is people rigging their running lights on their campers to be on all the time. Why?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 PM   #33

We have never stayed at a KOA type place or RV park, only state park and COE campgrounds so far. The worst I have yet experienced is a guy that had a motion sensor, super bright light by his door. This was across the road from us at a state park. We were sitting out by the camp fire, enjoying the night. It was very dark out, many stars above, and every time someone would walk down the road, walking their dog, or going to the bathrooms, his light would light the place up like daytime! Very annoying!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #34

What happens in your campsite, should stay in your campsite. That includes, noise, light, dog pee/poop and smoke!

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
Old 04-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh62 View Post
The oddest thing I’ve seen is people rigging their running lights on their campers to be on all the time. Why?
They are so proud of their rig they want everyone to notice.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #36

It's obvious from the comments that we are aligned on this issue. Sadly I doubt the "hey, look at me" crowd, which I also believe are a minority, will read this or if they do, will change. But it just takes one amongst many to ruin it for all.

I worry that it's a sign of a new standard. Like the wakeboarding boats, be ready for the next wave of campers with loud sound systems playing. We have already been on hikes with a group playing loud music as they hiked past us. So much for the quiet outdoors while hiking.

It will take one of us to be bold enough to say something to them.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #37
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
What happens in your campsite, should stay in your campsite. That includes, noise, light, dog pee/poop and smoke!
Just curious... do you really expect the smoke from a neighboring campfire to only be contained on their site?

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Just curious... do you really expect the smoke from a neighboring campfire to only be contained on their site?

not really

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
Old 04-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #39
D W

Never concerned ourselves with outside lighting. In my neck of the woods during camping season the sun is out anywhere between 21-24 hrs everyday.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegarre View Post
It's obvious from the comments that we are aligned on this issue. Sadly I doubt the "hey, look at me" crowd, which I also believe are a minority, will read this or if they do, will change. But it just takes one amongst many to ruin it for all.

I worry that it's a sign of a new standard. Like the wakeboarding boats, be ready for the next wave of campers with loud sound systems playing. We have already been on hikes with a group playing loud music as they hiked past us. So much for the quiet outdoors while hiking.

It will take one of us to be bold enough to say something to them.
Sadly, the music may be too loud for them to even hear what you say.

Also, in this day and age pointing out someone's rudeness or poor behavior can be dangerous.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Closed Thread

Tags
light