Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 11:13 AM   #41

Yeah, thats one advantage to using VPN, hides your real location. My point on VPN is, Only use a name brand company, one that has an insurance policy to back up their service. A vpn offered by a company that does credit monitoring services will be ore trustworthy than one offered by Facebook, or any other social media type company.

IOW Paying for your VPN as part of a credit service will offer far better protection than one that offers it in some phone app.

If DES or 3DES is a protocol in the list, Don't Use IT! Only use a VPN whose lightest encryption is AES. Ideally you want AES256 or AES 512 and MD5. Those are currently the most secure protocols that allow for the fastest transfer rate and encryption/decryption, especially on devices with encryption hardware like most smart phones.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
In my experience "Free services" are often worth exactly what you paid for them, especially in the world of computers.

I am using a VPN that costs me less than what I'd pay for one fast food hamburger per month. Uses the same encryption methods used by banks, militaries, and governments. Also includes a Kill Switch (activated by default) that prevents one from logging into a website that requires the VPN to be turned off before accessing.

Also doesn't slow my connection like many VPN's can do.

Between the VPN I use and the protocols implemented by the financial institutions I communicate with, I feel very secure.

It does make for some interesting results when I search for a restaurant near me. It might list restaurants in Baia Mare, Romamia if I happen to be connected to the Romanian Server
What VPN is that? I’ve never encountered one that didn’t slow my connection by at least 25% all the way to 80%.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
What VPN is that? I’ve never encountered one that didn’t slow my connection by at least 25% all the way to 80%.
I use Proton VPN and have been very happy with it.

I just performed a speed test and my download speed was 427 Mbps and my upload speed was 171 Mbps - these were without the VPN.

With the Proton VPN my speeds were - 420 Mbps download and 137 Mbps upload.

This is very consistent as I check my speeds daily. So, the right VPNs can have a negligible impact on your speeds, if any at all.
JLA956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If I were going to go full time I’d seriously consider a mobile router like a Pepwave and put SIM cards in it from 2 separate providers. Regardless of whether you opt for a hotspot or mobile router, using a VPN service is always a good idea.
+1 on both ideas.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I'm using Express VPN. They've introduced a proprietary version for testing they call Lightway and claim it insures max speeds.

Dumped my previous VPN that was constantly interrupting my connection and so slow I could start to log in on a new session, go make a cup of coffee, and loading was just finishing as I returned.

Was simple, "cute", inexpensive, and worthless.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote