Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #1

Living in a rv full time

What is the life expecinty when living g full time in a t.t. ?
My Daughter may be buying one to live on my property with 3 dogs and 2 cats, dogs are all big 65 to 100 lbs.
It a 27 foot trailer with dining an couch slide out
Too many animals to live in my house so this is her option.
B.t.w I would be housing 1 dog she has 4 total and 2 cats.
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

None of them are designed for full time living. They are cheaply built and made for occasional use. A lot of insurance companies will not even cover them if the know you are living in it. I hear of people doing it, but I wonder how much they spend on repairs and maintenance, being most of the appliances/doors/cabinets were never intended for full-time use.

**Don't blame you for not wanting to live in a barn, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #3

X2 They are not meant to be lived in but many do. 3 large dogs will be problematic.

I would put it under an RV carport if possible.

Good Luck !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #4

Been living, and traveling in a forest river grey wolf 26bh. Only problem is keeping up on the cabinets that like to swell from the cheep wood. The fridge has been on non stop for over 6 years now. Everything works as new. Insurance goes by what you want to cover. I have replacement cost. The company i have knows i live/travel in it full time. Spent the hole winter in it before retireing, no problems. Normal wear and tear items a camper will have. I dont have a petting zoo though. I am going full time in a pop up truck camper, soon as it is made and delivered. I have people starting a bidding war over the TT now, as i have it priced to sell. Lots of people i see and know live in one place in campers.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #5

I would expect to live just as long in an RV as in a high rise apartment and enjoy it one hell of a lot more.
On a more serious note, expect to replace the RV in about 5 years or so.
W5CRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #6

Depends on the RV. The DW and I may live in ours while the house is being finished. But it is a 42 foot destination trailer with a loft.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Those destination trailers are built more like mobile homes than travel trailers, no?
Old 12-02-2021, 07:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Those destination trailers are built more like mobile homes than travel trailers, no?
Correct
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #9

40 foot 5th wheel living in it 2 yrs no animals as far as repairs cost very little iv done more upgrade or preventive repairs so maybe 15.00 month average it out.Now as far as that many animals that not fair to them in less they are lap dogs i grew up living on farm where i could let my animals run not be cooped up in a small space.How long will the rv last hard to say but i know plenty people that lived in them for years that looked like new on inside and out.as far as insurance i have fulltimers coverage as if it was a stick built.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
I would expect to live just as long in an RV as in a high rise apartment and enjoy it one hell of a lot more.
On a more serious note, expect to replace the RV in about 5 years or so.
You so beat me to it! 78.79 years.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #11

If she doesn't already have the trailer, I would look for a good used one in the 30' range. It will not feel so claustrophobic during prolonged days of bad weather.

+1 for putting it in a carport. It will help with the A/C during the summer.

You might consider skirting it to help with the heating during the winter. If you have prolonged periods below freezing, put heat tape on the water line.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
If she doesn't already have the trailer, I would look for a good used one in the 30' range. It will not feel so claustrophobic during prolonged days of bad weather.

+1 for putting it in a carport. It will help with the A/C during the summer.

You might consider skirting it to help with the heating during the winter. If you have prolonged periods below freezing, put heat tape on the water line.
Read the original post. But I agree with you if she didn't already have one. If it was me, I'd have a mobile home put there. Better insulated, better suited for longer stay.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Correct
I would say "No." We have a Cherokee 38P destination trailer. it has the same furnace (Suburban SF-series), water heater (SW6DE), range, ducted air conditioner, Thetford 31683 toilet, holding tanks, 12v DC wiring and lighting, battery, and converter, chipboard cabinets w/ vinyl overlay, pull-out steps, wind-out windows and vents, RV (short) queen bed, 40 gallon black and gray tanks, and shallow plastic kitchen and lavatory sinks as a travel trailer does.

The only thing that might distinguish it from a travel trailer is the residential refrigerator.

Our other trailer, DW's dowry, is a 2002 Nash. She full-timed in it for over six years. The only real issue from extended living was that the linoleum split in a few places, curling at the splits, due to extensive use of a 5-castered office chair. Other issues (roof leaks due to deferred maintenance, worn-out propane regulator, etc.) would have occurred if stored outdoors, whether she was living in it or not.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblt44 View Post
My Daughter may be buying one to live on my property with 3 dogs and 2 cats, dogs are all big 65 to 100 lbs.
Depends on the R/V.
Many are made for weekend getaways, others are made for longer stays but none are really designed for full-time living until you get into really high-end rigs.

With that said... can you full-time in one?... sure... but you will need to expect it will be NOTHING like living in a sticks and bricks home.

Depending on location and amenities, there could be a LOT of daily/weekly things that need to be taken care of.
How will you provide electricity?
How will you provide water?
How will you dump the tanks? (likely weekly)
How will you replenish propane? (if cold)
How will you keep water lines from freezing? (if cold)
Do zoning laws come in to play?
Who will make repairs if necessary?
Who will do required maintenance?

And there are many others. This was just a start of things you'll/she'll need to consider.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
Commercial Member

IF it an option I would suggest a park model type RV. They resemble modular home but can be moved fairly easily if needed
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #16

I had an older Travel Trailer that had a caution in it's "Manual" about full time living. Rather than just a warning it went into a little detail. Biggest issue they pointed out was how cooking, bathing, and just breathing, caused a buildup of humidity.

If one is living full time in an RV and takes extra steps to at least control the humidity, wood won't swell, mold/mildew won't be an issue.

Dogs may be an issue although covering furnishings with dog resistant covers and a good dehumidifier for the winter months when closing up to conserve heat.

As for appliances, that "older Travel Trailer" lasted me 22 years with original furnace, A/C unit, and refrigerator. After the inital full time stint it also served as a temporary apartment for my wife when visiting my Son and Daughter where it was parked for several years at a time at one or the other's house.

Much of the lifetime for a full time, or heavily used, RV is really dependent on how well people care for it while living in it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #17

Quote:
No, not at all they are closer to a camping trailer, than a mobile home, holding tanks, fresh water tank, same electric hook up with a converter, can have the same water heater, furnace. Same RV sinks, shower etc.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #18

RV Life

My boyfriend and I have been living in a 35 foot since August 2020. We are on his mothers property. What I have seen in other posts about full time living is true as far as water lines and the skirt in winter to her insulate. The humidty should not just be a caution, it should be a warning. We did just have an electrician consult about setting up our own line for electric. The cost is an issue right now, $1200-1300, and I am actually on here to start my own post in relation. The house is old has very old wiring, between Christmas tree lights and electric heaters, the power is regularly going off. It does have it's own battery, but that's for what doesn't plug in, so the lights. The heat runs without electric, and the hot water heater, when power goes out from the house, I can't even make coffee. As to her particular situation, ours is 35 feet, but with animals it is very small. We ended up rescuing 6 kittens since we got here. We went with this kind of for the same reason, an apartment would not be good for my dog and cat, they are now 6 and 7 years. The dog is a Scottie, so she is little, only 16 pounds. We actually just got a second Scottie 4 weeks ago. The 7 cats though, make it very trying to handle. Always a mess. Then the dogs are both small, but she should definitely go for larger with two big dogs, mine are always in front of you. Even being little they block the path very easily. Should she do it, and winters are cold where you are. I would suggest getting extra propane tanks, always have 2 extra full ones it gets cold quick. In the summer it gets hot even faster, always need the air at a good temp with the animals, kind of like how a car gets hot in the sun. So far we haven't had much wear and tear and it has been over a year, just a lot of little things it helps to know. Dehumidifiers, are amazing!
JMDennis02816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblt44 View Post
If she’s healthy, she should live into her 70’s, at least!
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #20

If there sitting outside not in a shed. What is the difference if you are living in it or not. The weather is going to destroy it over time at the same rate being used or just sitting. Actually probably better for it being used.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote