Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #41
Wildcat 313 RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My unit went bad, I didn’t know you could work on them at home. My unit keeps dropping out, says there is a error code that not enough current is coming in. That’s wrong. It will drop out and not let any current in, you can hear it when it clicks off
I had a similar problem with our newly installed EMS. I would get intermittent "bad ground" and "low voltage" error lights, and it would shut off the power. Had the campground guy check out the pedestal and it was fine. It was driving me crazy because we could find no issues. Since we were on our last night in the campground, we just toughed it out

When we got back home, we were still getting these intermittent errors on our home power – where I knew it was wired correctly. I checked the shore power cord for continuity, and in the process I found that the female connector that plugs into the RV was damaged. I was reading high resistance on one of the 30A legs. Opened up the female plug, and found it was damaged internally. Put a new female end on the power cord, and the issues with the EMS went away.

In retrospect, I remembered that our RV was parked in a "parallel-to-the-road" site, and there was some uneven ground right next to the back of the RV, where the shore power cord plugs in... I suspect someone walking by the RV tripped and grabbed the shore power cord to prevent falling, thus damaging the connector. There was nothing to see externally, so they would not have known they caused damage... The internal plug damage was consistent with a strong downward pull... Guess I'll never know for sure how it happened, but glad we figured it out!
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.5' and Duramax / Allison
2012 Wildcat 313RE 5th Wheel (Sold)
Demco Hijacker Auto-Slider (Sold)
JimParker256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er