Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #81
Mod free 5er

Wouldn't bother me a bit to loan truck and 5er to either one of our boys. They are as persnickety with stuff as I am if not more.

Below is an example of the oldest ones work.

He even replaced the black rims with new chrome ones,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	172841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	172842   Click image for larger version

Name:	805.jpeg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	172843   Click image for larger version

Name:	806.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	172844   Click image for larger version

Name:	808.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	172845  

Name:	824.jpg
Size:	600.6 KB
ID:	172846  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #82

To me it is the fastest way to make your family against you is let them borrow something only to return it damaged somehow and then they are upset when you try to get them to repair it. I know when I let my sister borrow my old fifthwheel to live in for awhile I took and set it up for them and showed them how to work everything. When I went to pick it up the main floor carpet was soaking wet they had left the water running in bathroom sink and tank had filled up and sink overflowed all night. I tore out the carpet and let everything air dry. They never tried to pay for the new flooring I installed and when I asked they stopped talking to me as they said the trailer was old anyway?????? So I will never loan out anything to anybody relative or not!!!!!

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You did the right thing by saying no. It's your property that you paid for and for anyone to be mad at you for saying no shows a large amount of disrespect and selfishness on their part. This is echoed by the fact that family members have already damaged it because they didn't care enough to pay close enough attention to avoid hitting something. It's not about them being inexperienced, someone that is inexperienced and knows it would know to be extra careful. For that much damage to happen they were simply careless and perhaps even reckless. Do they expect YOU to pay to have it fixed?

Friends and grown-up family members know it's rude to ask to borrow high-dollar items like that unless they have been told "You're welcome to use it sometime if you'd like, just let me know." If they haven't been told that then they are simply out of line to ask.

I'm sorry you've had issues with family and they've made you feel like it's your fault for causing a rift by saying no, but that is 100% on them. I don't put up with that kind of drama from anyone and I won't be guilted into feeling like it's my fault or problem.

Good luck!
All so true!
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #84

What possible good could ever come of it
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #85

Family/friend would be more than welcome to share our RV....with us!
Dswope13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #86

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
We have had similar requests. We did not say NO but we knew how much rentals were so we told our friends... Sure we will need the $170.00 per day (minimum 10 days) plus a$1500.00 security deposit plus $200.00 for extra insurance and an additional daily fee of $200.00 per day for late return. And everything has to be in advance and in cash. They declined.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #87

never ever

Never let ANYONE take your RV out......It's a good way to loose friends and start family fights....do yourself a favor and say NO,NO ,NO.....you will be gad you did.....
Old 05-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
I expect that, if you read the fine print in your insurance policy, I expect you'll find specific language that limits who can operate/use your rig; especially if you're NOT present.
In fact, if you read your policy, you'll almost certainly find that it covers anyone using the RV or TT with your permission, just as your automobile coverage does. First, the definition of "Insured" in a standard policy includes permissive drivers. Second, the general rule in automobile insurance is that the coverage follows the vehicle, not the insured. Personally, I would not waive permissive driver coverage even if I could simply because the premium saving would be minimal and I would lose the ability to do something as simple as let someone else take my car to get help in an emergency.

In some states it may be possible to waive permissive driver coverage in exchange for a very slightly lower premium, but generally the policy will cover such drivers.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #89

Some insurance policies might not cover lending your rig out much less renting it out.
I figure we didn't buy it together, we don't make the payments together or pay the insurance on it.
If someone lends their rig out not being surprised it might not make it back the same way it left, whether through negligence, stupidity or stuff happening then lending would be ok. But everyone doesn't feel as obligated to pay for what happens on their watch when borrowing.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #90

I can appreciate that the OP feels it is hard to say no to family, but ... none of my family or friends is foolish enough to ask if they can borrow my TT. There's no way I will e-v-e-r loan out my TT, not even to my son who is the apple of my eye!

More power to those who do choose to loan out their RV, but I'll take a pass on that one for a whole host of reasons!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #91

Not gonna let anybody pull my Cedar Creek Champagne fifth wheel but me and my DW. No loaning it out for sure. I don't even loan tools out anymore except to my kids. Got too many back broken.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #92

I guess we are all different. I don’t worry too much about “stuff”.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #93

The only member of my family I'd say "yes" to would never ask. He already has his own. The rest...I wouldn't let use my lawnmower.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Some insurance policies might not cover lending your rig out much less renting it out.
I figure we didn't buy it together, we don't make the payments together or pay the insurance on it.
If someone lends their rig out not being surprised it might not make it back the same way it left, whether through negligence, stupidity or stuff happening then lending would be ok. But everyone doesn't feel as obligated to pay for what happens on their watch when borrowing.

Pure speculation. My insurance as well as my parents, before we bought ours and we borrowed theirs, covers the trailer regardless of who is using it.

To say “some might not...” without calling and finding out, I’m assuming you and the other guy who mentioned it won’t be covered have no clue what their policy covers and doesn’t. I didn’t ask for mine to cover other people using it, it just came standard.

If you don’t want to let someone borrow your camper, that is on you. If you want to use that as an excuse to your family, that is on you. Don’t give bad information to people who are on the fence though.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #95

Nope! Family or not I wouldn't loan out my boat or rv. There's just too much stuff that can break on these things unless you really know what you are doing and well....most people who ask you to borrow either of these don't have one so they have no idea what to expect or how to properly operate everything. They think it's like borrowing your car......and it's so NOT like borrowing your car and very costly if they tear something up.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 21DK -sold
2016 Grey Wolf 29BH
skidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #96
Hank

If any of my family talks about using my RV even if they and joking I just look at them and laugh. It a lot easier to say no right from the start than have to say no later after you have started something like that. It looks like it's a no vote.

hank
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #97
DW's 401(k) Plan

The only one I would have a hard time saying NO to would be my oldest son. He has a sailboat, so he's familiar with most of the systems. Plus, he used to drive a shuttle bus when he was going to college, so he's used to a long chassis. I might have to let DW's uncle use it as a payback. He let us use his Class C back in 1988 to go to our first Pocono NASCAR race. The POS that it was - mine would be a Bentley to his!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #98
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'll only let my four Mainecoon cats borrow it...

The only stipulation is that they let me go with them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FourMainecoonsSm.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	769.3 KB
ID:	172961  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer05 View Post
Pure speculation. My insurance as well as my parents, before we bought ours and we borrowed theirs, covers the trailer regardless of who is using it.

To say “some might not...” without calling and finding out, I’m assuming you and the other guy who mentioned it won’t be covered have no clue what their policy covers and doesn’t. I didn’t ask for mine to cover other people using it, it just came standard.

If you don’t want to let someone borrow your camper, that is on you. If you want to use that as an excuse to your family, that is on you. Don’t give bad information to people who are on the fence though.
My RV insurance specifically spells it out only my wife and me are covered to drive it. Would be a wise thing to ask your insurance agent. We were asked that question by Good Sams Insurance and the insurance company we are with now when we applied for coverage of who and how many people would be driving.
John.Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

This question gets asked around here from time to time, and as always, my answer is still that I'd only ever be willing to loan it to either my brother, or my brother-in-law, who I can trust with it because they each have their own trailers... But since they have their own, they have no need to borrow mine.

However, for everyone else who asks, the answer is still "No, but maybe you can join us on of our camping trips."