Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
Somebody is going to get PO'ed. You or them. You spent the money.
AMEN to that!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #162

No
gator504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
In addition to saying no, I'd also wonder what the insurance implications would be for someone else towing or driving my RV.
Insurance companies may or may not cover anyone except who's on the policy. That's an easier way to say NO though, dang wish I could buddy but you're not
covered on my policy.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #164

I let my kids use our tt with the agreement that if something happens they pay for it. I still worry about it the entire time though.
DaleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #165

Say No and just be honest

Look, lets face it, if you were 100% sure you would get your rig back exactly as it is now and were totally confident the the family member using it the answer would be yes.

BUT as we all know things happen, mistakes are made, we have no control over other people or the abilities of our loved ones and the world is a complicated place with many pitfalls.

Voice your concerns, IE insurance doesn't cover other operators, unexpected situations, hail, tire blowout, wind blow overs, tree branches breaking off, park electrical issues, unexpected freezing, operational errors, tow vehicle failure or mechanical breakdowns, you get the idea, we could go on for some time with this.

You need to get the points across in a diplomatic way (which is always difficult with family). Perhaps assist them with a rental company if they are really serious. Maybe you have a trip scheduled around the time they want to borrow it. There are lots of excuses you can come up with but when its all said and done they are family. They may be initially upset but will come to terms with it.
You may feel bad about being this way now but it closes the door on the subject in the future saving you having to deal with it again.
Now, unless you have more money then you know what to do with hand them the keys and tell them to have fun. If it get wrecked who cares, buy a new one.
RoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #166

Two shortish stories....

My sister called one day and said "can we borrow your trailer(utility). I said... OK as BIL has common sense. They showed up in a car... I said "what's up?" She said well BIL doesn't have a truck any more. They drove off with truck and trailer...BIL was a Ford/Ram mechanic and not stupid.

I have been thinking of the loaner deal. I MIGHT loan to my brother. He is 45 and I am 54. He could and would pay for damages, but they don't RV and would prolly never ask. I would be a nervous wreck the whole time. The main problem for me would be the time, inconvenience, costs, "it's never been wrecked feeling", possible insurance event and bad feelings in the family deal. So... I guess still NO !!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #167

My insurance does not allow me to loan my unit.
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #168

As a dealer we get asked all of the time. We no longer rent so the answer is easy. Tell them they are not listed on your insurance policy and the liability is way too high. So is the ROA return on aggravation. Remember no good deed goes unpunished.
mwnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #169

Absolutely out of the question!
DanN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #170

Never ever ever. For one thing, campers are just plain quirky. Lots of systems to deal with and the margin for error often slim and repairs are expensive. Unless it's life or death, I'm never loaning mine.
Suzanne Camps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #171

Depends on the family member or friend. I have friends and family I would never loan anything to. The kind that if you loan them money you kiss it goodbye when you hand it over . I also have friends and family that are solid people and I know I could trust them no matter what it was .

I used to borrow my fathers truck when I was younger to tow my boat when I was in between trucks right after I bought my house . But I'm the family mechanic and they all know I take care of my stuff as well as most of theirs so its usually a non issue . I also used to borrow my fathers TT right after my daughter was born for our annual 10 day camp trips to make life easier on my wife while looking after a newborn on a long hot trip .

I think the answer is circumstantial and totally depending on the people or person . My issue is I dont share my bed and I'm only ok with a real small number of people sleeping on my bed . It would have to be neat freak people that I know I could trust.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #172

My kids, I give 50% of the money so they can go rent one. No to anyone else.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #173

No quicker way to ruin a friendship than loaning a motorcycle or RV, friend or family. Family more likely to screw you over than friend in my opinion.
oldblueroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueroadking View Post
No quicker way to ruin a friendship than loaning a motorcycle or RV, friend or family. Family more likely to screw you over than friend in my opinion.
I hear ya !! But also feel if there is a chance your friend would do that you should have denied the request to borrow in the first place or you should be reevaluating who your friends are.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #175

Well, as hard as it is to say NO to friends and family, but I just say NO!
I earned the money, I made the investment, I decide where we go and what we do. If something goes wrong that's all on me!
I explain to them that this is my RV. The only people who sleep in the bed is me and my wife. Even though it may sleep 4 or 5 it really just sleeps 2.
Most won't ask!

Happy Trails-
Sonny and Peggy - Little River - Academy, Texas
2001 F350 7.3L Power Stroke Dually
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE 5th Wheel
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #176
3boxerss

NOPE no borrowing no lending.... But they are always welcome to come along with us..

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #177

I don’t have to worry about that.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #178
Censored Member

Let me add a little class to this thread by quoting Shakespeare, “Neither a borrower nor a lender be.”
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #179

I feel the same as I do about loaning you my new Harley, my family. If you agree to repair & replace up to $30,000 in case of accident.
None of this, ha-ha handshake, sure; someone who I honestly believe will hand me fat stacks of hundos if they come home leaving a black spot of burning wreckage where my bike should be sitting.
That narrows it down to zero.
The only time is if I am on a thousand mile ride with my uncle. If one of us wanted to “trade bikes” until the next gas stop, we could do that.
Same with you, if we both had 2016 $60,000 C-Class RVs we could trade for the week.
After writing down these unlikely scenarios, I realize the answer is no way.
How you gonna be friends with your brother after you’ve finished paying that five or ten thousand dollar repair bill? Don’t do it.
ShawnAndDotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #180

There are several RV rental places all over the country, get the phone number or website of the closest and tell your friends and family that here is a company that is in the business of RV rentals.. Tell them you don't rent yours out :-) End of story!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote