Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Lone Star tick bite - nasty thing, new to me.

Never heard of such a thing until last Sunday morning I found one of these chewing on my leg with joyous abandon. A week later the bite site still has moments where it itches like crazy.

It's called a Lone Star tick because a) it's range includes Texas, and b) the larger female has a single white dot on it's back. Around this part of Georgia all we usually see are deer ticks, which do carry Lyme disease, especially in the north east parts of the US.

A well done wiki article on Lone Star ticks here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblyomma_americanum

It does not carry Lyme disease. It can carry STARI, "Southern Tick Related Rash Illness." And the major bummer, the critter can inject you with a kind of enzyme that will give you a serious allergic reaction to the consumption of red meat, "non-primate mammalian meat" specifically beef, pork, lamb and venison.

Which leaves poultry, seafood, monkeys and other people. For the rest of your life.

Red meat allergy article here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0220102727.htm

Once discovered, I removed the parasite with one of these tick removal tools: http://www.tickinfo.com/protickremedy.htm

Which this study compares favorably with two other tools, all of which perform better than tweezers. (This link will open a .pdf file)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...FlEFd6flFFLQlQ

Then sooner you find the tick and remove it, the less the chance of getting any disease, Lyme, STARI or meat allergies. Long pants and insect repellant are helpful, along with giving the kids the "once over" when they come out of the woods.

And finally a picture of the parasite, for all of you who like me have lived your whole life without having seen one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amblyomma_americanum_tick.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	56048  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Had some trouble with the links, if they don't work let me know...

And as for the picture, no they are not the size of half-dollars. Sized about like a deer tick.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
NELA

These pants were on sale for $25.00 at

Academy - Search Results-tick pants

two weeks ago. Still not a bad deal if you're the type to react badly to parasite bites.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
NELA

And the shirt to go with the pants, but it's usually the lower extremities they get to, unless you scrub up against a taller infested bush with an arm or your torso.

Academy - Gamehide Men's Elimitick Button-Up Shirt

Just remember they all seek a spot where your clothing is tight; edge of sock top, yes...the crotch area, and under waist bands.

Around here it's chiggers (known mostly as "red bugs") they're so tiny you can't see them but they'll wrap you up and drive you insane!

Ticks are well known to inhabit areas around pine trees, as they love carpets of pine needles.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #5

Yep, it’s that time of year to use bug repellant on your body. I use DEET and nothing else. I don’t like having a tick trying to dine on me especially since they carry disease. The insect bite that is truly exasperating is a chigger bite. Man do those itch and for a long time.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Yep, it’s that time of year to use bug repellant on your body. I use DEET and nothing else. I don’t like having a tick trying to dine on me especially since they carry disease. The insect bite that is truly exasperating is a chigger bite. Man do those itch and for a long time.
Spray chigger bites with Windex and it will relieve the itch.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #7

Don't forget your dogs. I just had a beautiful Doberman girl, Mochi, die from complications of Erlichia. Nasty, nasty stuff. Ticks are hell. Use whatever on your dogs to protect them and check them daily.
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Nail polish is good for suffocating chiggers. Just a thin coat on the spot. Color is up to you. lol
Paul (clear works for me)

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

The Lone Star tick is fairly common in my area of NC. Had one crawling on my hand a few days ago after visiting the compost pile. Like Oakman I use DEET the majority of the time to try and keep them off of me. If I know I'm going to be in heavy tick territory I forget the DEET and will spray my shoes, shirt and long pants with permethrin. It is more effective for ticks but you should not use it if you own a cat as it is highly toxic to them.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Exclamation

bumping this thread

Because they are back this summer with a vengeance!
And I really really recommend the tick removal tool mentioned above.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We had common brown tick on our Dog in April, there was still snow on the ground! They seem to have survived our very cold winter here in Ontario.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Can anyone vouch for the Windex on chiggers suggestion? Wondering if this is legit or a reference to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Happy camping.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
Can anyone vouch for the Windex on chiggers suggestion? Wondering if this is legit or a reference to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Happy camping.
Probably some truth to it. There is a product called "Afterbite" and some if its imitators where the primary ingredient is ammonia. Works pretty well at controlling itch. And most glass cleaners contain ammonia.

Be advised, Afterbite type products, burn like crazy on application!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #14

We use Benadryl spray on chiggers. We clean the heck out of the chigger bit then wipe good with alcohol the spray the area with Benadryl. You can clean the area real good and spray or apply anything that will seal the area of oxygen like hairspray, finger nail polish, Benadryl, spray paint, duct tape, just anything to seal out the air and it will kill the chigger we've used it all. With the itch you will use what ever you can to get relief. LOL Ticks well just get them off asap and clean the spot. I don't know about any allergy to beef thing I've been bit by ticks my whole life I eat beef, venison, pork, chicken, lamb, never bothered me. We spray around our shoes and socks and then they don't get on you to start with. Deep woods off is our buddy here in Texas and the mosquitos are worse than ticks. A light spray of any Deet product will hold the ticks and fleas and chiggers off. Always spray around your shoes and socks when in tall grass or walking around in the woods getting firewood or hiking or a tick and chigger will find you.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote