Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #1

Long trip reservations

We've RV'd for a long time but mostly within a 200 mile range. We're planning a multiple stop, month or two round trip with two or three destination points. Should we make reservations in advance for each stop along the way or just for the destination points?
JPSCOTT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #2

That really depends on your destination points, your route and the time of year and where you want to park for the night. Also what you are comfortable with. Many have talked about calling for a reservation while enroute, and looking for a park on the way. If that does not happen you may find yourself in an interstate rest area, or Walmart parking lot for the night.

I would definitely get a reservation for the destination stops. Finding a park to accommodate you for your entire stay when you show up will likely be difficult, especially if the destination is in a popular area.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

We are doing a 17 day trip in September driving from CA to SD, ND, MT, ID and NV. We were going to do a few campgrounds that were first come first serve until Covid hit. Now we have reservations as back up plans for any campground like that in case we can't get in. We are willing to lose a few $$$ on the RV parks eve if we don't use those.

We have a few stops in between CA and SD and we have reservations at some KOAs for the night. We won't even unhook.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
Site Team

With the huge upswing in RV purchases and many campgrounds booked up for the season, I would at least book weekend campsites.
We live out West and travel for 2 months during the late winter and early spring. We make reservations months ahead of time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice

We’re retired so 4 hours between stops is plenty. But that means several stops until a destination. Just curious if most people make reservations for each stop or wing it until their reservations at the destinations.
JPSCOTT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

It really depends on your time frames and personality. For me, I am a planner and most relaxed when I know everything is set. we still work and our long trips have been during the height of summer vacations. So having all our reservations for each stop long before we set out works best at this time. (My trips have been known to be a four sheet excel spreadsheet[emoji16]. And so far, I have had them all go according to plan, no hiccups).
Once I retire, I would like to go were the wind blows us, but will probably still make reservations, wallydocking does not appeal to me.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #7

We started RVing in 2012 and over the years have taken many 1 to 2.5 month trips. I have always made ALL my overnite and destination stop reservations before we started our trips. Like others, being retired, I also do not wish to drive for more than 300 miles a day so that means we do have a number of overnite stops. My ideal travel day is leaving around 9:00 am and arriving at my day's destination by 3:00 pm

Last year we travel from NE Florida to Pennsylvania (visit family and friends) and then West. The trip was just over 7000 miles and just over 2 months with some major National Park destinations such as Arches, Canyonland, Grand Canyon North Rim, Grand Tetons (Colter Bay Village), Yellowstone, Glacier, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore, and the Badlands. The trip started on April 16th and I started making reservations for ALL my stops in January and there were a couple destinations I could not get into the the Campground I preferred and I got the last FHU site at Colter Bay Village (CG in the Grand Tetons NP) and that was making that reservation 5 months before are reservation date.

Some prefer not having a 'fix' schedule and route, but that may mean sometimes you'll not get into your preferred location/campground. For 'me', I want to know where I am parking/sleeping at night and part of the fun for me is planning our trips and it is much easier (for me) to plan our routes and stays when at home rather than while we are traveling. I get to plan our trip on paper and then get to travel it in our RV, its all part of the adventure.

Whether you decide to make all your reservation before your trip or not, travel safe and enjoy the journey.

-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Times are changing.

We've mostly always winged it on reservations for stopover nights with 'maybe' calling within a few hours of a stopover but campgrounds are fuller in our part of the country than ever before because of more folks getting out and staying away from motels/hotels.

I'd at least call the day before.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
Happy Keystone Owner

I still only reserve destination stops. But then, there really isn’t any high demand for campsites between Illinois and wherever.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #10

I usually do my destination and weekends (if I'm able). Looking at a route the night before and realizing that there are no campgrounds within a decent distance of the interstate is no fun.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

I'm a planner and won't go anywhere with the RV unless we have a reservation. And especially today where the campgrounds are at high volumes. It gives me peace of mind knowing that they have a spot and will leave the light on for me.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #12

From Iowa to Key West, Florida we reserve only our final destinations and wing it on our one night stops. Has worked well in the past but do have some concerns this next winter due to current circumstances.
The Wife starts looking at her notes from past trips then starts making calls for the one night stops. Have only had one campground that we were going to stay the night that I just kept driving through and got the heck out of there.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #13
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I'm a planner and won't go anywhere with the RV unless we have a reservation. And especially today where the campgrounds are at high volumes. It gives me peace of mind knowing that they have a spot and will leave the light on for me.
X2

We travel from 1 Nov to 1 May and typically do 20 - 30 CGs. I always have reservations for the entire trip usually before we even leave home. It also gives me something to do planning the trip and making the reservations each year.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
X2

We travel from 1 Nov to 1 May and typically do 20 - 30 CGs. I always have reservations for the entire trip usually before we even leave home. It also gives me something to do planning the trip and making the reservations each year.
X3 I agree with the other planners! Planning a trip is part of the enjoyment.
We don't pull out until we know where our first pit stop is, other stops along the way, and where we are camping that night. This includes fuel stops, rest areas, and scenic stops.

We travel coast to coast. Spending time on google maps street view, including traffic/construction issues makes for a much more confident and pleasant road trip.

Safe travels

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote