Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #21
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack21643 View Post
Thanks for the answers. The problem with the tranny is changing the fluid and things like that make no difference from what I have read. What happens is a snap ring inside breaks off and drops into the valve body causing it to block the flow of fluid.

Ford has admitted to the design flaw but wont recall the tranny (they knew about the problem in 2005 and still made the trannys for another year). Some guys have gotten 200k out of them with no problems some have only gotten 10k before they broke.

Putting a new tranny in or getting mine rebuilt makes no difference cause you never know when that snap ring is going to break it's a all of a sudden type thing. Since my truck basicly only moves when I'm towing the camper or going to Lowes It is hard to pay 50k for a truck that will only see 4000 miles a year at most.
I have basically the same truck as you and (knock on wood), not had a problem yet, and have 130,000 miles on it. I get the reg. maintenance done when I'm supposed to.
Ya know ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. You're always going to have something to worry about. If its not the tranny, then something else.

You still got to get out there and live, and make memories.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #22

I have a 2004 explorer ( not tv) and i understand your concerns with transmission. Mine has never had a problem , but many do. Enjoy your trip, realizing anything can and will happen at amy time. Be prepared. Make the memories for the kids as they grow fast.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #23

Quote:
I have just recently discovered much to my anger that the 2003 thru 2006 V-8 Ford F-150 transmissions are known for going KABOOM with no notice what's so ever My research has shown me that they usally go around the 87,000 mile mark. Well you guessed it I have 87,525 miles on my F-150.
Don't think that 80k mile has anything to do with the trans going boom, might have to do with a neglected trans, and most people just driving and not replacing the fluid and filters... when was yours done?? And how did The fluid look??

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I feel ya!

We have made a lot of 200-500mi trips with our last tt, 22' with a 1/2 ton trk.then a couple with the same tt and a 1 ton diesel. Luckily with only minor problems. This year,we will be launching a much longer trip,with a considerably larger,and heaver, TH I've not yet calculated the exact mileage,but in the area of 3000 ,I like you,have been prompt,on maintaince.and up keep of the TV,am aware of the potential issues with our truck. This said,I think,as others have said above,we know we can't prepare for everything. So as long as we pay attention to the vehicle's,prepare,as much as we can afford to,then take a deep breath,and enjoy the ride.
I know this is no answer. It boils down to $,if I could afford a new truck,I would have one. If I could afford a new trans in the diesel,I would have a nice beefy one installed.
What I can do, is change filter or screen,and fluid. If I am forced to replace trans on the road then ill work on that problem.
Whatever you choose,good luck,and have a great trip!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #25

You are correct on the tranny maintenance issue. Here's the concern. Transmissions are designed with very, very, very close tolerances in many areas. If you wait much more than 30-K miles then change the filter/fluid it is not uncommon following the service that small pieces of dirt will become lodged in the valve body causing shifting problems. Because you had no problems before you will expect the shop to rebuild your tranny. Because of this issue there are some shops that won't even service a tranny that has not been serviced on a regular basis. One just can not can predict when and if this will happen.

A lot of today's tranny's do not require service and are filled with synthetic fluids. My F-150 is like that. My Nephew is a mechanical engineer at the tranny plant that made my tranny. He's told me that they really beat the new 6-speed in testing and to expect at least 150,000 miles before doing anything. One other factor is that today's transmissions are all electronic/computer controlled shifting instead of pressure and RPM shifting.

I guess if I were concerned and had this type of trip planned instead of getting the old one rebuilt I'd check to see if I could get a newer and perhaps improved transmission installed. Things have changed so much in that area I don't know if you have any other choices but you just might have some other options that you hadn't thought of. It might be worth investigating.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #26

I hate it when I hear or read something negative about things that I have come to rely on! I understand how that can make you concerned about your upcoming trip. It sounds to me like you are looking for advice on how to plan for the possibility of a problem. There are two things I would suggest: 1) Do some more research on your truck. I recommend edmonds.com. You can search the year and model of your truck and read both customer and expert reviews. You may find out that the problem is not as wide spread as you've been lead to believe. At least, that's what I hope you find to help put your mind at ease. But even then, I would still try... 2) Find a phone number for Good Sam and talk to somebody. I think you will find that you are not the first person to express this concern. They may have a plan that you will be happy with. If not, they may have some good suggestions. "Good Sam" stands for "Good Samaritan", after all . Good luck and please post anything you find out. I'm sure your experience will help someone else looking on here
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #27

Alot of great advice on this subject and luckily I have no issues with my current truck. It runs like new and due to it's easy life and low milage it looks like new. A friend brought up the fact yesterday that he bought a brand new 3/4 ton truck and droppped the tranny with 8k miles on it towing a ridding lawn mower on a 4x8 landscaping trailer 5 miles down the road.

I am coming to the conclusion that while vehicle age does move up the scale on the possiablity of a problem even new trucks break down. Luckily I have the money (cause I dont have a $700 a month truck payment, lol) to rent a vehicle and find an off Disney hotel to stay in if we broke down on the way down.

If I break down coming home then it's a much easier problem, I have several friends that would drive 500 miles to come get my camper and tow it home for me so I guess I will make sure my maintance is up to par and roll the dice. I was really writing the thread to find out what kind of plans you guys have made in case of a bad situation, and I really thank everyone for their input.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Resident Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
I have basically the same truck as you and (knock on wood), not had a problem yet, and have 130,000 miles on it. I get the reg. maintenance done when I'm supposed to.
Ya know ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. You're always going to have something to worry about. If its not the tranny, then something else.
^This

I have an '04 F150 with 100,600 miles (bought it with 5,600 in '05). Ran flawless up until 95K miles. In the last 12 months I've replaced the u-joints, power steering hp line, rear axle seals, two brake calipers, rear shocks, front struts, muffler, all 8 coils, spark plugs, and now I'm due for a windshield.

But my tranny is fine lol (knocks on wood)!
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #29

Back to the roadside assistance. I have Good Sam and have the platinum coverage. I got it because it was way better than AAA for an RV'er. I have not had to use it but they will tow both your TV and TT unlimited miles to the nearest service center. If a repair to your TV will take more than a day to fix Good Sam will move your trailer to the nearest CG for example. It works with all your vehicles. There are a lot of benefits. Here is their information site...

Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #30

Do your maintenance , inspect the truck , get a good company to cover you and the TT
My 09 Dodge 1/2 ton Rambox has 183,000 and I tow with it
Go see Mickey
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #31

Agree with most post. Go have fun, deal with problems when they arise. Also to, enterprise car rental has a commercial division where you can rent 3/4 diesels and larger. I have had to do it a few times. Only problem is, is that they are not everywhere and they are not highly advertised. I found them by accident. The regular enterprise can be of help to find one. Yes you can tow with these vehicles as well and they are set up for it. Not for a fiver but a tt.
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #32

I really think you're worried about nothing. I just Googled "F150 Transmission problems" and not 1 link on the first page addressed the year trucks you posted. I had a 2006 F150 and never had any issues. Drink a cold one, take 10 deep breathes and everything will be fine
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #33

I had the same thoughts as we are leaving Connecticut for Disney on Tuesday pulling our Wildcat 32qbbs. DW asked me last night "what if" and my response was "the title's for the truck and 5ver are already in the truck". I backed that up with, under no certain terms am I going to let our daughter miss WDW, she agreed
rev_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
MI Camperz

Awwwwhhh! Good Dad!
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #35

Update

Quote:
I have just recently discovered much to my anger that the 2003 thru 2006 V-8 Ford F-150 transmissions are known for going KABOOM with no notice what's so ever My research has shown me that they usally go around the 87,000 mile mark. Well you guessed it I have 87,525 miles on my F-150. We are planning a 940 mile each way trip to Disney in August. Here is my question?

What happens if it takes a crap half way to Disney. I would be strapped with a 7 year old girl who has been looking forward to going her whole life and that would SUCK
UPDATE:

I made it all the way to Disney and back home without any problems. The old Ford pulled like a dream and I even went all the way with a golf cart in the back (extra 600 lbs). My fuel bill was $645 for the whole trip, 1880 miles round trip. I averaged about 10 mpg which is normal for TT pulling from what I have read.

And as a side note if you ever go to Fort Wliderness camping you really should think about taking a golf cart or renting one, it made our time there so much more relaxing

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

glad to hear it went well. We just made a 1300 mi trip to fort wilderness, got back just over a week ago. Our ford PSD wasn't so happy. She made it down as happy as could be. Began acting up during the week. Made it home but with the truck acting up and not sure if we were gonna make it.... but at least we had made it to disney!!! Truck is going into shop soon for diagnosis. not sure what is wrong, just know the engine isn't right.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

140,000 on my son's 2005. No issues; of any kind.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Well I tow with a Chevy/GMC.....All the same.....broke down in VA In 2000 when we stop for the first time for gas after leaving home, It was our first trip far away from home and only our 3rd trip ever camping we where headed to Disney World, to make a long story short we where back on the road and enjoyed our vacation......Just FYI we have AAA the RV package they will tow the tow vehical and camper up to 100 miles the standed AAA plan will only tow you 3 miles and anything over that is extra.....No RV.
You are wrong on that I broke down twice with AAA Plus RV and they wouldn't tow me bc my truck broke down.If you read the find print it only covers your Rv when you have trouble with the trailer. I have prove of that. All you have to do read where it. it said it will tow your trailer when it has mec. problems. not your towing vec..they will tow your truck but not the trailer.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
Back to the roadside assistance. I have Good Sam and have the platinum coverage. I got it because it was way better than AAA for an RV'er. I have not had to use it but they will tow both your TV and TT unlimited miles to the nearest service center. If a repair to your TV will take more than a day to fix Good Sam will move your trailer to the nearest CG for example. It works with all your vehicles. There are a lot of benefits. Here is their information site...

Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam
i agree triple AAA sucks when you want your tv towed but they are great when you have a standard break down
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #40

If you are scared of a Ford tranny...Don't ever buy a Dodge....I'd have a Ford any day.
I've put over 800K on the clock of Fords and never lost a tranny....

My 2006 F-150 has 280K and I've changed the tranny fluid ever 50K...she purs like a kitten. Sold a 2008 F-350 with over 150K and no issues.

Brother has a F-150 with over 300K and never had tranny issues...
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote