Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Longest Trip Yet

I am taking my daughter and her family to Mt. Rushmore in July of 2017. We will be stopping in Kansas City, KS to visit with my son and his family, then heading to South Dakota. In total, we plan to be gone a little over 3 weeks, but my question is how to make reservations along the way. I know that I must make them early where we are staying in S.D. but what about along the way. Should I reserve ALL of the campgrounds along our route? Do I make them day by day as we travel? The problem is my two grandsons that are going are 4 and 6 years old and can't do too many hours in the truck each day. I am planning 5 to 6 hours driving time between CG's each day. If anyone has done a similar trip I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
2021 Ford f150 XLT, 5L, Garmin RV760MT
Travel Companions - Zoey and Zeus
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

July is prime travel season and Rushmore is a popular destination. Unless you are planning to go to less popular locations I'd plan to book reservations as early as possible.

Many folks recommend no more than 300 miles a day, especially with little ones. That is easily a 6-8 hour day depending on travel speed (towing = slower, summer = construction) and stops (food, fuel, bathroom).

When it is just my wife and I we have gone as far as 500 miles in one day with only one stop (bathroom, stretch, and eat). And I can tell you those are long days. That said, we had one 300 mile day this summer in Texas that was longer (time) and way worse than any of our 500 mile days due to the amount of road construction.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
WDW

I'm routing and planning stops now. I will book destination parks in October. I will have our stops including satalite views of gas stations done before Christmas.

Amazingly, Trolley (our motorhome) buys books about our destinations for the family for Christmas 😀

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

I just made this trip from Kansas City, MO. Our first stop was at Newton Hills State Park in Canton SD. It is about 12 miles off the interstate but very nice. Worth the extra drive time.
Next stop was Arrowhead Camp Ground in Wall, SD. It has a pool, level drive through spots. Nothing fancy but nice. It was qiiet, 2 blocks from Wall Drug (a fun place to visit) and 10 miles to the Badlands.
Third stop was only 80 miles away at Rafter J Bar in Hill City SD. This a great spot! Nice campground. Go right and head to Custer State Park, Crazy Horse and Jewell Cave
Go straight to Mt. Rushmore, iron mountain highway, and the needles highway.
Go left to Rapid City, Deadwood, Sturgis and Spearfish Canyon.

We loved our trip. Good luck in your planning. Each of these stops from KC is about 350 miles I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote