Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Looking For a New Camper

Now that things have settled down between moving in the new house and our camper is now in salvage we decided to start looking for a new camper. We went out looking on Friday and look at an Open Range and Jayco, we all ready had a Forest River and know what they are like and not much has changed with them other then price.

The Open Range: Very nice and well built and price not too bad, but......as I look over the rig on the out side I found Delam on the front panel, this unit was a 2011 new but left over the 2012's are now out...We walk away and I told the salesman what I had found.

The Jayco: Very nice and well built, this unit had siding on it like the old style, but for the money not as much fruit salad as the Open Range.

Don't know what we are going to do yet other then look some more, just a lot of money for the same problems we have had before and the only thing that has changed is the price......I know it would be asking too much if a rig would last at lest 5 years with out having major repaires or issues, the little things you have to exspect. There is no such thing as a perfect camper.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,618
Wade I'm glad to see your ready for that new camper. Of course you know what I'll recommend! Prime Time!

Just a few issues with ours, the biggest problem being the circuit board for the water heater needed replaced. Other than that we have been very satisfied.

I have noticed that in the past year or so not too many are posting about delam issues, at least not nearly as many as you use to see.
Maybe they have came up with a production process that has helped to reduce the problem?

Good luck and I hope you and your DW find the perfect tt no matter what brand it is.
Hopefully you'll also get the "Deal of the Century" as well!

P.S. I've got a PT Crew Member number reserved just for you!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,280
Wade, I understand that Jaycos and Forest River products are recognized as the most bang for the buck and also the most trouble free. For me, I would buy a Forest River product again, and also check out the Jaycos. Too many of the other makes and models did not have what I wanted in a trailer, although I didn't check out each manufacturer and model of course.

Good luck on your search, and keep us posted.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
what in fact ARE you looking for ?
bunks ?
outside kitchen ?
5th wheel ?
tt
rear kitchen ?
rear living ?

PRICE RANGE ?

maybe with this info we can better help you with a selection based on our own experince .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
what in fact ARE you looking for ?
bunks ?
outside kitchen ?
5th wheel ?
tt
rear kitchen ?
rear living ?

PRICE RANGE ?

maybe with this info we can better help you with a selection based on our own experince .
Rear living, our last one was an 8314ss Rockwood 2006. We would like a slide out in the bedroom as well.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wade I'm glad to see your ready for that new camper. Of course you know what I'll recommend! Prime Time!

Just a few issues with ours, the biggest problem being the circuit board for the water heater needed replaced. Other than that we have been very satisfied.

I have noticed that in the past year or so not too many are posting about delam issues, at least not nearly as many as you use to see.
Maybe they have came up with a production process that has helped to reduce the problem?

Good luck and I hope you and your DW find the perfect tt no matter what brand it is.
Hopefully you'll also get the "Deal of the Century" as well!

P.S. I've got a PT Crew Member number reserved just for you!

Gary, I forgot about the Prime Time, i will have to find a dealer near the Hanover PA area.....Thanks.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Here to Help
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 437
Dear Rockwood 06,
Please take a minute and view the Sabre fifthwheels at Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968. We've added several new floorplans and features to our 2012 product. The new Sabres feature the high gloss exterior that customers have been asking for. And we do it right! Some brands mix non-high gloss entry and luggage doors to save money. Our entire exterior is high gloss. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have after looking over the floorplans. Good luck shopping.
SabreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSam View Post
Dear Rockwood 06,
Please take a minute and view the Sabre fifthwheels at Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968. We've added several new floorplans and features to our 2012 product. The new Sabres feature the high gloss exterior that customers have been asking for. And we do it right! Some brands mix non-high gloss entry and luggage doors to save money. Our entire exterior is high gloss. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have after looking over the floorplans. Good luck shopping.
Thanks for the info and i will check out the site, but at this time I can not tow a 5th wheel, I have a heavy duty 1/2 ton 2008 chevy and it is rated to tow 10,500 lbs.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
(Kim)
 
Labzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 595
Idk what size of TT you are looking at, but when I looked at some of the lightweight Jaycos, I could not believe how low the CCCs were, so be careful of that.

Happy Shopping!!!!!
__________________
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
Kim
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Idk what size of TT you are looking at, but when I looked at some of the lightweight Jaycos, I could not believe how low the CCCs were, so be careful of that.

Happy Shopping!!!!!

Somewhere around 30 to 35', our last one was 33'.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,618
Wade, you can contact Prime Time if you have any questions. They're really good at getting back to you quickly. They'll also help you find a dealer in your area.
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wade, you can contact Prime Time if you have any questions. They're really good at getting back to you quickly. They'll also help you find a dealer in your area.
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
Thanks Gary, there seems to be one thing after another with me right now, i just changed jobs, my daugther is moving out, and my son is in the Army and he is over seas and he just turn 21 in October and the only way we can talk is by way of Face Book. Gary thanks for your help....Wade.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,618
I understand. I usually try and take care of things when the opportunity presents itself rather than wait for that "best" time to do it.

I just took up a new personal hobby that I haven't done in years. It's time consuming and may even take up some of my camping time.

Right now I'm on a 2 week break. I had my left knee scoped out yesterday. Of course I will be receiving work related phone calls and emails. I don't ever seem to get a complete break from work.

Good luck on your new job. I hope your daughter's move goes smoothly and tell your son I said "Thanks" for his service to our country.

If I can help you with any info on any tt, just give me a shout.

Have a good one, I am.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 337
In general I like units without slideouts. Just one less thing to go wrong when I least want something to go wrong.

THs are nice just because you have a whole wall that you can drop down. That makes it easier to tote oversized equipment, even if it really does not qualify as a 'toy.' It also makes for a convenient covered cargo hauler. The ramp also makes a nice patio in the Spring and Fall and allows the infirmed a wheelchair ramp.

Downside, they are heavier.
__________________
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe, 2013 39 days, 2014 59 days
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
mike06081969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 247
For the money, the Flagstaff is hard to beat.
__________________
Mike in Tennessee
Former 2 time FR owner
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30QB Fifth Wheel
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
For the money, the Flagstaff is hard to beat.
Flagstaff rigs come off the same assembly line as Rockwood rigs do. twin brands with the exact same materials and items. just different decor.

also, there are way more Rockwood dealers in the country, therefore Rockwood prices are better than Flagstaff, generally.
an example is that RVW and RVDirect, the two top internet dealers, both sell Rockwood. and their prices are considered to be the lowest in the country.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Flagstaff rigs come off the same assembly line as Rockwood rigs do. twin brands with the exact same materials and items. just different decor.

also, there are way more Rockwood dealers in the country, therefore Rockwood prices are better than Flagstaff, generally.
an example is that RVW and RVDirect, the two top internet dealers, both sell Rockwood. and their prices are considered to be the lowest in the country.

Your rationale was not evident in my case. I priced the comparable Flagstaff against 2 Rockwood dealers and the Rockwood dealers couldn't match the Flagstaff dealer. I also got a quote from RV wholesalers on a comparable Rockwood and although the price was the better, it wasn't feasible considering the transportation cost. I live in Nova Scotia. Shop around and go with what you feel best with, even if it is a PT. Just kidding Gary.
__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2019 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
........ even if it is a PT. Just kidding Gary.
Alright, you've got me a little more than slightly miffed now!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
For the money, the Flagstaff is hard to beat.
Have had mine 15 months now. Camped over 100 nights this year, with 40 of those traveling through 9 states, 18 campgrounds and 4,700 towing miles. Have had zero problems so far. I take that back, I did have a string break on a shade.
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
JAYCO Representative
 
Wildcat Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wildcat Plant - Elkhart, IN
Posts: 808
Obviously, I'm partial to Wildcats...

Let me know if I can answer any questions about our eXtraLite travel trailers.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.