Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

looking for better internet

I currently have a plex sim router activated through no-limit data running a T-mobile sim. The poor incoming signal from the carrier has me dropping a lot. I have switched the sim to AT&T and Verizon and it was worse. The router allows for an external antenna to be connected to it. I have never used one and don't really know where to start. If you have any thoughts on how to ''amplify'' my signal please let me know. I have a 2019 wildwood 337 bar not sure if it came with anything that may boost from with-in.
froggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
llr

Since the router allows an external antenna I would start there.

A cell booster / amp is just an external antenna, a small amp and an internal antenna so this won't help the internet. It would allow multiple cellular devices to share the external antenna where the router external will only help the router
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
I currently have a plex sim router activated through no-limit data running a T-mobile sim. The poor incoming signal from the carrier has me dropping a lot. I have switched the sim to AT&T and Verizon and it was worse. The router allows for an external antenna to be connected to it. I have never used one and don't really know where to start. If you have any thoughts on how to ''amplify'' my signal please let me know. I have a 2019 wildwood 337 bar not sure if it came with anything that may boost from with-in.
Can you provide a little more information on what you are calling your router, brand model, etc.
Plex makes a cellular modem, and you can add an external antenna to it, but you will get minimal advantage from it, the modem can not buffer so you will still see some drop, maybe less but some. If you have an actual router running plex server that's different, still need model to select correct antenna though. Happy to provide you with the antenna information but there some additional info would also help. Do you know how far from the cell tower you approximately are, and the actual direction to the tower? Asking because distance and direction will determine actual antenna and or booster needed.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #4

I have the Plex modem router combo. Nearest tower to me is 6.35 miles NNE.
froggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #5

Often it's not the cell service, how close the tower is, or the equipment you have, but rather how many others are using the bandwidth.

Where I am right now the "tower" is < miles frkm me and signal strength is as strong as it ever gets.

Have been loading an 80mb app since 10am and 4 hours later it's only 59% complete.

Oh yes, over the last week it's estimated that somewhere between 50K and 100K people have come to this area to camp.

Streaming isn't even a question unless you have a satellite internet connection.

Welcome to Quartzsite and the RV Show that starts in 3 days.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Oh yes, over the last week it's estimated that somewhere between 50K and 100K people have come to this area to camp.

Welcome to Quartzsite and the RV Show that starts in 3 days.
And then it all made sense (wondered where 50K to 100K would of come from!)
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #7

Check out InstyConnect. It was created by an RV'r and he has a great system/w support to get you the best cellular connection. Here is one video about it. He recently had booths at the FMCA and Escapees rally. I think he might be on his way to Quartzite as well.

https://youtu.be/QRN0UyVEdsM
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
Check out InstyConnect. It was created by an RV'r and he has a great system/w support to get you the best cellular connection. Here is one video about it. He recently had booths at the FMCA and Escapees rally. I think he might be on his way to Quartzite as well.

https://youtu.be/QRN0UyVEdsM
Apples and oranges? this is just a antenna play and Wifi hot spot. doesn't solve a thing with the original OP problem, as stated above if the cell tower is saturated the in bound bandwidth will be low and buffering will occur even with this. if bandwidth is not the issue the OP can attach a 7 dollar antenna on the modem to get better signal pickup.

as for your statement of best connection, that is a bit subjective, here is why.
Looking at the specs for Instyconnect it appears to be an omni directional antenna at 75 Ohms, good general propose antenna. but not always the best when the towers are spread out. In those cases a directional antenna is a much better antenna solution and what the OP will probably need.
FYI.
Outdoor Omni-Directional Antennas pull in cell signal from every direction. They’re great for amplifying multiple carriers simultaneously and work best in areas with decent outside signal.

Outdoor Directional Antennas pull in cell signal from one direction and have to point at your carrier’s closest cell tower. They’re able to boost multiple carriers, but tend to only amplify one or two at a time because of their directionality. Overall, they’re stronger than omni antennas and work great in strong and weak signal environments.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
as for your statement of best connection, that is a bit subjective, here is why.
Looking at the specs for Instyconnect it appears to be an omni directional antenna at 75 Ohms, good general propose antenna. but not always the best when the towers are spread out. In those cases a directional antenna is a much better antenna solution and what the OP will probably need.
F
I'm not an expert, but my impression is if you are serious about needing internet you need to have sim cards from 2 different carriers so that you can use whatever one is the best provider at your current location. That way you can point your antennas to the service with the best speed. The new antennas from InstyConnect are very directional. I thought I understood that he has incorporated a load balancing feature so you can use multiple towers in some manner. But anyway I think its worth checking out as an option. He's trying to overcome the limitations the current designs have to give better performance.

Good luck with connection.
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
I'm not an expert, but my impression is if you are serious about needing internet you need to have sim cards from 2 different carriers so that you can use whatever one is the best provider at your current location. That way you can point your antennas to the service with the best speed. The new antennas from InstyConnect are very directional. I thought I understood that he has incorporated a load balancing feature so you can use multiple towers in some manner. But anyway I think its worth checking out as an option. He's trying to overcome the limitations the current designs have to give better performance.

Good luck with connection.
Please note, I am not saying Insty Connect is a bad solution, if you have no system and are looking for an easy path - this could be your solution. It is just not a gold parachute to bandwidth and streaming, its mileage will vary based on carrier and environment at time of use.

Load balance is MIMO in the RF world and been around for a long time, he is not doing anything different, just Marketing, you still need the correct antenna to solve the RF signal issue, then there has to be available bandwidth at the connected tower.

fyi, direct from the web Insty Connect site - directional antenna is an add on (also don't get hung up on the LTE speed statement either a cradle point will run circles around this speed wise and there is no relationship between antenna and LTE speed:

We designed the Insty Connect to be modular, so you can have a system that can adapt to bring you the best speeds.

The Angel Wings are an omni-directional antenna, which means you don't have to aim it.

The 'Binoculars' is what we're calling our directional antenna that you can use to 'see' towers way off in the distance and get a much better, focused signal and in some cases, much better speeds (especially in the fringe zones).

Just like our Angel Wings, you will use the modem module and insert it into the Binoculars. The result will be speeds like no other LTE modem can get.

The Binoculars will be a great add-on to the Insty Connect system. We recommend getting the angel wings as the base system, and use the Binoculars when needed.