Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Looking for RV GPS

OK, I think I have narrowed the field down to 3 choices for a RV GPS. They are
the Garmin RV 770LMT, Rand McNally RVND 7730 or the Magellan Roadmate RV 9365TLMB. Have any of you had any of these, and if so, what is your preference.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

I have the Rand/McNally . I use it on all my trips. I used it going from Virginia to New Mexico, worked great, of course its a easy route along I40, it was very helpful letting me know what lane to get in while going through big cities during rush hour. Kept me in the lane that I needed to be in, gave plenty of notice. I also had a co pilot with a paper map also ( its hard to break old habits.) I like the large display, only issue was the glare from the sun, I think there is a shield to eliminate the glare. It comes with free life time updates.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB68 View Post
Garmin RV 770LMT, Rand McNally RVND 7730 or the Magellan Roadmate RV 9365TLMB.
I've owned two Rand McNally RVND's and both would lock up and eventually quit working. Past 3 years have been using the Garmin RV 770LMT and it has always worked flawlessly.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #4

I have the roadmate. Has not yet sent, me the wrong way and has gotten us to where we are going. Camp grounds, points of interest, etc work well. Road ahead problems gives you 3 choices around. It even got us to places with NO CELL service. Up dates are easy as well, hook to the laptop and update.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

I have a Garmin RV760 and it does a pretty good job. We are on a trip to Alaska and the Garmin has got us lost a few times in Canada, not real lost because you are never lost as long as you have a full tank of fuel
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #6

GPS

TechnoRV.com has some very good information on comparing these units. We have purchased from them in the past and have had great experiences.
Bullrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Smile GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
I've owned two Rand McNally RVND's and both would lock up and eventually quit working. Past 3 years have been using the Garmin RV 770LMT and it has always worked flawlessly.
My rand McNally went bad, I called them up, they said ship at their cost, and they fixed it.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #8

I looked at the Rand McNallys and at that time they only offered lifetime maps. I chose the Garmin 760RV LMT as it offered lifetime maps and traffic. There were other features on the Garmin that the RM did not have. Have been completely satisfied with this GPS as I look at it as a tool and not a be all end all. It has flaws, taken me around the block a few time and had me scratch my head on routing sometime. We now put in our destination and see how it is taken us there and make changes when required. It has also saved us from going down in areas that are not recommended for RVs, i.e. low bridges, dead end streets, etc.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

I have the Garmin RV760 and really like it. I use it with the BC-20 backup camera mounted in the Furrion housing on the 5er too. Its my Bluetooth hands-free device and does other mobile data tricks using the connected cellphone too. The current equivalent and step up is the RV770/BC-30. We have two other Garmins for other vehicles and I retired two others before that so you can see I'm a fan of Garmin products from way back. Never had one fail on me... the old GPS II+ still works!

I made a mistake once buying a Magellan and once I was lost out in the countryside (detours gone wrong), wanted to zoom out to see a few adjacent roads and all roads disappeared - just couldn't get enough detail at a zoom level beyond the road I was on. I swore I wouldn't make that mistake again.

Some will tell you to use a GPS app on a cellphone or tablet but I'm a fan of a dedicated device for this application.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #10

We have a Rand McNally which works OK, but there are a couple of things I don't like. I use the Good Sam Club trip planner on my desktop computer and, then, download it to the GPS. If I want to change the route from what the trip planner says to use, it will add waypoints as if they are stops. I have to zoom way in to be sure that the waypoint is on the desired highway and not on a side street in a town I want to pass through. It did save us once when we missed our turn. It took us through the city and back to our desired route without having to turn around.
I agree with one of the previous comments about the sun and purchased a sun shade which does help. The other problem is that the display is rather large and does block some of the view.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #11

Okay, I'm the odd ball out ~ have the Tom Tom 1510 w/5" screen, auto to split screen before an exit you need to take to make sure you're notified ahead of time. Life time map updates, love the simplicity of entering a location. I know, it isn't for everyone, but I like it.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #12

I use Rand McNally I am o, the second one. But it works well. I just got a email from them and the latest one comes with a front camera, anti colision warning, and ability to do backup camera. It can also be used as notebook. Plus some things I can't remember.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #13

I've been using a Garmin RV 760 for going on three years. I like the quarterly updates, the ability to change out the voices, the speed of the recalculation, route configuration details, etc. It hasn't yet steered me wrong.
I have used Tom Tom, Garmin, and Magellan. Since I've never owned a Rand McNally, I can't comment on them.
Tom Tom is good for car GPSs. Their update procedures are a pain, but the routes were always accurate and up to date as of initial release of the model. I started out with Tom Tom, but their crazy update process completely turned me away from them.
I received a Magellan free and it wasn't even worth that. That was a few years ago, but because of that I will never own a Magellan.
Garmin has very easy update processes, complete customization (voices, displays, voice prompt details, route display, etc.). I have grown to like Garmins and will likely stick with what works.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

I have the Garmin RV760 LMT and like it
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #15

Have the Garmin RV770 for 3 years now. No problems, works great and has provided safe routes. More than I can say for my previous unit which once took me through an area of white knuckle low tree lined and very narrow roads. Free life time map updates is a bonus.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote