Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Loose Wheel Bearings

We have a 2011 Crusader 5th wheel 27RET. In Nov 2011 while on a trip we had a wheel bearing failure and our tire flew off in flames. Has any one else had an issue with wheel bearings?
mntcamper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Had a problem with a Kodiak 26' several yrs ago, didn't loose a wheel, but had to have new brgs/hub installed @ a campground in Chattanooga, TN. When we got home, the dealer replaced the complete axle. Since then, I check the wheel brg tightness once a yr before we start our jaunt to FL. Have not found our Flagstaff's to be loose. In the process of putting shock absorbers on our new '12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5ver and just re-installed the right rear and filled the hub with new grease. 1 down and 3 to go.

Hope your dealer replaced the axle under warranty as if the brgs got that hot, the spindle was compromised and should be replaced.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

yes they did replace both axles . but we are about to go on a trip checked the bearings since they were replaced front bearings both sides were loose again only traveled with it 60miles dealer to home.
mntcamper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
H2oski

I had a similar problem a few years back, but I think my dust cap fell off and then the grease came out and the wheel bearing over heated. Caught it before the wheel came off. Repaired my in a CG also in Naples Fl. i bet the tire in flames was a frightening experince!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

mtncamper, could you define what "loose" means?
Wheel bearings are not supposed to be 'tight'.
Could your original failure be due to a lack of lubrication? Did you ever grease them? The factory only puts in a minimum of grease.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings