Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
.. prophylactic replacement of ALL studs....
My comment is I'm not making a comment!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You may want to report this to your appropriate version governmental agency. Although I haven't verified it personally yet, my manager has a friend with this same style Ram, who he and his father have had wheel studs shear off. They told my manager this was a known defect with these Rams...... but as I stated I haven't researched it yet.
What do you mean by the same style RAM ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Really? Report this to a government agency? If you report it to anybody tell the manufacturer. This is more than likely just bad installation and or poor maintenance. They don't have the lugs. They might have the wheel. They don't have the nuts. So. What evidence does this guy have to give to some bureaucrat?

If folks think about this, wheels falling off campers is not a common occurrence. In 20 years of towing either a camper or a boat over 60,000 miles of actual towing highway miles, I have never had a wheel fall off. Has anyone else? Well this guy did in Canada. The need to run to the government for problem the government neither caused or is responsible for or can even fix or prevent just doesn't make any sense.
Yes really. Safety issues, like this could be possibly, are usually reported in the US to the NHTSA. If this does turn out to be a defect (which it could or could not be at this point, but who knows really) then the OP could get reimbursed if there is any kind of recall in the future if similar things happen to other owners.

We get recall notices all of the time, due to tires, wheels, studs, etc.

Here is an example of where FORD initiated a recall for broke studs, which also explains the NHTSA's involvement after receiving reports from people who
had their wheels come off. The only way the NHTSA can know these things (if the manufacturer doesn't tell them) is for Joe Citizen to tell them so. If they receive enough information, they will usually open up their own investigations. That's why there are voluntary recalls initiated by the manufacturer, and involuntary recalls initiated by the NHTSA.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...1V574-3892.pdf

GM:

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/s...wheel-lug-nuts

Toyota:

https://repairpal.com/recall/14V429000

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #24
Failure is my business

Were the tapers on the wheel where the lug nuts seat gakked? That would confirm looseness. Though if they weren't it wouldn't eliminate looseness as a failure mode.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Really? Report this to a government agency? If you report it to anybody tell the manufacturer. This is more than likely just bad installation and or poor maintenance. They don't have the lugs. They might have the wheel. They don't have the nuts. So. What evidence does this guy have to give to some bureaucrat?

If folks think about this, wheels falling off campers is not a common occurrence. In 20 years of towing either a camper or a boat over 60,000 miles of actual towing highway miles, I have never had a wheel fall off. Has anyone else? Well this guy did in Canada. The need to run to the government for problem the government neither caused or is responsible for or can even fix or prevent just doesn't make any sense.
You do realize the wheel came off of his truck not the camper ...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
His truck that the wheel came off is a 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
His truck that the wheel came off is a 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4.

As Oaklevel correctly pointed out, the OP has a Ram Truck, hence the comment of "same style RAM".

Technically speaking there are no 'Dodge' Rams since around 2010, as it was spun off from Dodge into the Ram Trucks name.... so it could be possible you may technically not own a 2015 Dodge Ram as per your sigline.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/

https://www.leftlanenews.com/super-b...r-a-dodge.html

New 2018 Ram Truck Prices - NADAguides

Why you still see the Dodge name in a Ram
Attached Images

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #28

Thank you everyone for the responses. All in all, this turned out as good as anyone could have hope for what happened. The axle looks fine, all that need to be replaced on the truck is the rotor, axle nut, studs, a new tire/rim and TPMS. Cost around $2000. Repair to the trailer, still waiting on quote, but told it should be around $600 for the fender flare and skirting, I'll do the repair myself. RAM is inspecting all the other studs. they don't recommend changing them all on spec, but it was up to me as I'm paying the bill. I think I'll be fine if they inspect them.

Again thank everyone for the input and information.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRogers View Post
Well to say the least, that was an experience. had a lovely weekend camping at a provincial park and was on our way home. Cruise was locked in at 99 Kph or 60 mph, everything was fine and out of the blue no shake, no indication, the back of the truck dropped. My first thought was we blew a tire till out of the side view mirror I see a tire flying across the highway. several hundred feet later I get the truck stopped and off the highway. Rear passenger tire is MIA but of course the tire didn't just come off without hitting the fender edge before coming off and of course it could just roll off into the ditch, but nope it had to introduce itself to the RV before it left. took the fender flare off and crushed the skirting. The flying tire never hit anyone else and no one was injured. just gonna be and expensive day getting it all fixed. And thank god for CAA RV plus (AMA), it just paid for itself this year and for the next few. Wish there was a moral to this story like check your lug torques or something but in this case every lug was sheared off. RAM was the last company to have the wheels off when they balanced the tire about 6000 kms ago. I'll talk to them today but after 6000 kms I doubt they'll take responsibility. All in all it could have been a lot worse. Anyone have any idea how I might go about determining which RV fender flare and skirting to order? and how to change the skirting?

Wow, this sucks and good thing nobody got hurt. I've seen this once 20 years ago on the Yellowhead near Edson, a pickup truck lost a rear wheel, it bounced across the median hit a semi and finally took off into the forest. You should have seen the sparking when the hub hit the pavement.

Your reference to AMA makes me believe you're in Alberta, try Google for RV part stores or RV wreckers, there used to be one in Leduc 20 years ago, I don't know if they're still there. Kijiji might be another option to find parts. You could also let a body shop fix the skirting and replace the missing fender flare with a generic one.

From my experience, Aluminum Alloy rims should be re-torqued at least twice, better three times before they finally seat, I learned to carry a torque wrench at all times and do it myself.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Wow, this sucks and good thing nobody got hurt. I've seen this once 20 years ago on the Yellowhead near Edson, a pickup truck lost a rear wheel, it bounced across the median hit a semi and finally took off into the forest. You should have seen the sparking when the hub hit the pavement.

Your reference to AMA makes me believe you're in Alberta, try Google for RV part stores or RV wreckers, there used to be one in Leduc 20 years ago, I don't know if they're still there. Kijiji might be another option to find parts. You could also let a body shop fix the skirting and replace the missing fender flare with a generic one.

From my experience, Aluminum Alloy rims should be re-torqued at least twice, better three times before they finally seat, I learned to carry a torque wrench at all times and do it myself.
I'm in Ontario but 21 years in Alberta shows I guess. LOL. Parts are ordered from the dealer. Looked around for parts from a wrecker, couldn't find any matches right away and I need the truck on the road by next weekend so time is forcing me to use the dealer.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
Were the tapers on the wheel where the lug nuts seat gakked? That would confirm looseness. Though if they weren't it wouldn't eliminate looseness as a failure mode.
What does "gakked" mean? Did you mean greased?
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
The "k" key sits right next to the "l" key on the keyboard ....
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
The "k" key sits right next to the "l" key on the keyboard ....
I did NOT know what galled meant, I just learned something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:16 AM   #34
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post

'Gakked' is the same thing as saying something is screwed up or f'ed up!

Must be a growing up in the 70's word...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #35
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
'Gakked' is the same thing as saying something is screwed up or f'ed up!

Must be a growing up in the 70's word...
Ding ding ding!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #36

Wheel fell off

If it was loose lug nut the rim will show damage or wear. If not then more than likely Nuts were over torqued studs stretched and failure. The wheel should tell the story. Funny that nothing was felt untilwheel came off, would have though you would have felt something, especially in the rear tire.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #37

This is not loose lug nuts. I have had wheels come off from loose lug nuts before and it does not sheer off all the lugs. There is also plenty of warning, you will feel it before the rim comes off. This is over tightening of the lugs leading to stretching and weakening of the metal. If they over tightened one, they likely over tightened others. I would replace every single lug on the truck that this shop touched. I hand tighten every single lug on all of my vehicles and trailers with a 4-way. If something messes up, it's my fault. I know what I did or didn't do, most of the time anyway.
Bucket-hat Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #38
and the MagicMan

What year is your Ram?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediGrandma View Post
What year is your Ram?

Old 08-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #40

I traded my travel trailer this year for a 2018 fiver. I had goodyear endurance tires put on. I was there when the lugs were torqued. After towing a number of miles i checked the torque and found one lug was loose. All others were ok. It pays to recheck your lugs. I carry my torque wrench with me.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire