Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

Lymes Disease

Camping season is starting up please be carefull. Here in the North/East lymes disease is at it's all time high. My wife is on MEDS from this disease and has been for two months now. My son had it about ten years ago and was hospitalized for two weeks, at the time we were camping at Frontier Town in Ocean City MD. He had to have a pic line placed in is heart for an I.V. after he came home. Our last Greyhound also had it before he died. Keep an eye on your Children and pets. Have a safe an happy camping season.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

Yup. Good reminder

And checkin for can be fun too.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #3

It's actually called Lyme Disease, no s at the end I have had it since 1997 and caught it from a tick bite on the back of my neck in New London, CT where I lived at the time. I have suffered the effects of cronic joint pain and short term memory loss ever since. I have found some relief from the pain living in Florida, presumably due to the heat and/or humidity here. I can live with the pain, however the memory loss can get aggrivating to the point of serious frustration at times. Something we just learn to live with I guess. Rockwood, I hope your Wife doesn't have the lasting effects of Lyme as I have had and I feel for her as I write this. Hope all goes well for her.

Charlie.
icefireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #4

Please offer your suggetions on how to safeguard against it/thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Please offer your suggestions on how to safeguard against it/thanks
wildwood, Google "Prevention of Lyme Disease" It well give you a choice of things to look like prevention, treatment and symptoms. Everyone has different symptoms. My son had server head aches then it developed into spinal meningitis then bells palsy to the left side of his face. He was 10 at the time, now that he is 18 his immune system has been weaken from the disease and he gets sick real easy. The doctors said that he was in stage 3 at the time.
My wife developed a rash on her skin and began to itch all the time her joints were hurting and then developed a fear of the dark. the doctor did a byopsis of her skin and could not find anything wrong. Our family doctor called her and wanted to do one more blood test for Lyme disease and sure enough it came back positive. With 3 months of different medications for allergies they found that she was in stage 2 of the disease. She still suffers from joint pain. I hope this will answer your questions. This is important for everyone to know and watch out for your pet that may sleep in bed with you. Your pets can get a Lyme Disease shot from the Vet's.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Lyme disease is bad, but do not forget that a brown dog tick can almost kill you. I contracted tick fever a few years ago and it just about did me in. 105 fever that would not go down. several days in the hospital and side effects for years. It's something like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but no spots, just fever. I am very vcareful about ticks. Related to this is a recluse spider bite, a flesh wasting fever inducing central nervous system attack. Yep, I got that one from a woodpile in acampground in Missouri. Be careful out there.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #7

A good reminder that when you're in the outdoors to be sure and use a bug repellant that contains DEET. Proper use of DEET will prevent ticks from biting.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote