Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2024, 11:26 PM   #1

Magnetic Light Switch Replaced

The small "courtesy Light" in the lower step inside the trailer stopped working. Verified light turned on with wiring to power & ground. Suspect Magnetic sensor (switch) on door frame and magnet on frame of screen door. Ordered a "Kwikee Door Sensor Magnetic Switch" from E-trailer, matched it to old one and I connected the 2 wires and installed it. The light is supposed to illuminate when the entry door opens, but now it lights up when door is closed. Magnetic proximity switches usually have a small coil inside that causes a change in the electrical flow when in proximity of the magnet. I don't know if this little sensor does or not. The 2 wires on the sensor were the same color, so it didn't appear to matter which wire connects to the power wire and the other to the ground wire. Does anyone have any experience with this light and switch? How do I make this thing work like the original?
Curt Q24 Hitch

JoeDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Since we have no idea what year, brand and model number of RV this is in and no pics, it's hard to answer your questions.
Different divisions use different lights and switches.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDakar View Post
The small "courtesy Light" in the lower step inside the trailer stopped working. Verified light turned on with wiring to power & ground. Suspect Magnetic sensor (switch) on door frame and magnet on frame of screen door. Ordered a "Kwikee Door Sensor Magnetic Switch" from E-trailer, matched it to old one and I connected the 2 wires and installed it. The light is supposed to illuminate when the entry door opens, but now it lights up when door is closed. Magnetic proximity switches usually have a small coil inside that causes a change in the electrical flow when in proximity of the magnet. I don't know if this little sensor does or not. The 2 wires on the sensor were the same color, so it didn't appear to matter which wire connects to the power wire and the other to the ground wire. Does anyone have any experience with this light and switch? How do I make this thing work like the original?
Magnetic switches usually come in either a "normally open" or "normally closed" configuration.

Internally, they contain a "reed switch", which is made from two small strips of metal mounted parallel to each other. The magnet either causes the two strips to come together and make contact (the "normally open" variety), or pulls the strips apart to break contact ("normally closed").

You are correct that the polarity of the wires should not matter. These switches don't have any internal logic or intelligence. They just make or break continuity.

If your light is on when it should be off (and vice versa), my guess is that you need the other style of switch. They should be advertised with "NO" or "NC" somewhere in the product description or part number.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:39 AM   #4
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Are you sure the light that became inoperable wasn't a sensor light like in the below link? If so, these just are motion actuated and no switch required. I see you have a 2020 model year rig and our rig is 2021 and this is what was installed in the step are of our rig.

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-lightin...9dd66a7a6c0a36
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer info is in the message in my signature box.
Curt Q24 Hitch

Old 04-30-2024, 04:16 PM   #6

Thanks for your excellent reply. I found out the hard way, got the info today from Lippert on the "NO & NC" functions and thanks to Etrailer this info is not in the description, but is in the video and text of the video. Also the NO sensor switches are all black, two different P/N's and the NC ones are white, only one P/N. Lippert number is 374198. And as further luck would have it, E-trailer had one left in stock for me!
Curt Q24 Hitch

Old 04-30-2024, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for your excellent reply. I found out the hard way, got the info today from Lippert on the "NO & NC" functions and thanks to Etrailer this info is not in the description, but is in the video and text of the video. Also the NO sensor switches are all black, two different P/N's and the NC ones are white, only one P/N. Lippert number is 374198. And as further luck would have it, E-trailer had one left in stock for me!
That's great news! Please come back and update when/if the new part fixes your issue.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:54 AM   #8

Proper door light sensor installed

To follow-up, I ordered the correct sensor (switch) from e-trailer, after getting the correct p/n from LCI. I had to modify the wiring since the factory installed wires below the steel support strap and crushed them, as it would have shorted out before much longer. The door light now illuminates when the door is opened, and goes out when door is closed. Success!
Curt Q24 Hitch

Tags
light, switch