Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #1

Maintenance for Parked Trailer

We upgraded from a 1984 travel trailer to a 2017 35' Cherokee BH as our lake getaway here in Minnesota. The trailer will be parked at the lake year-round, although we may take a road trip with it occasionally.

We will not use it in the winter, so we have drained all water and put about 6 gallons of antifreeze in the system. We also pulled the batteries and put a cover on the trailer and the tires.

Other maintenance we plan is annual waxing and roof coating.

So I think I have a simple question ... are there other things we need to think about for regular maintenance to make sure it's road worthy if we choose to take hit the road in awhile?
NancyLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #2

This is just me if I had the setup you are talking about I would lift the rig to take the weight off the suspension and tires.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
This is just me if I had the setup you are talking about I would lift the rig to take the weight off the suspension and tires.
around here we go the opposite and raise the stabilizers/levelers That way if/when the ground heaves it doesnt put as much twist on the trailer
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
As a seasonal I've never done that and don't know anyone else that has either.

The tires hold the majority of the weight of the trailer. Blocks around the trailer work to stabilize it. I wouldn't want the blocks to hold the entire weight of the trailer.

For the tires, just put some decent tire covers over them and check them regularly. Also be sure to do the regular maintenance of the seals and roof.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
StlClay

Two additions....before covering tires, spray sidewalls with uv repellent. I recommend 903 brands on amazon......no one mentioned battery maintenance or security of your battery. I take mine home and hook up a battery stabilizer after checking battery fluid level and charge. Battery maintainers do just that, no a trickle charges. However I have great luck with the very inexpensive models sold at Harbor Freight. I also cable lock propane tanks.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I've had 3 different TT's on seasonal sites year round since 2000. I leveled the TT's by placing 2" x 6" x 6 foot pressure treated boards under the tires to prevent the tires from sinking in the ground. I used concrete blocks on each corner then in front of and behind the axles, 4 pillars each side, plus the tongue jack. The current TT had two 2" x 8" x 6 foot on one side and one on the other for level and blocks placed at the same 8 places. With all 3 in privately owned campgrounds I never worried about securing the battery or LP tanks from theft.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #7

Dehumidifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLH View Post
We upgraded from a 1984 travel trailer to a 2017 35' Cherokee BH as our lake getaway here in Minnesota. The trailer will be parked at the lake year-round, although we may take a road trip with it occasionally.

We will not use it in the winter, so we have drained all water and put about 6 gallons of antifreeze in the system. We also pulled the batteries and put a cover on the trailer and the tires.

Other maintenance we plan is annual waxing and roof coating.

So I think I have a simple question ... are there other things we need to think about for regular maintenance to make sure it's road worthy if we choose to take hit the road in awhile?
We leave a small (30 pt.) dehumidifier running all the time. We put it in the shower, without the collector tank. (You have to wedge the tank switch On.) We open the gray tank valve and let the collected water out, so it doesn't freeze in the waste pipe. This keeps the trailer fresh and mildew-free all year.

For the trailer at home, we just let the water out on the drive. For the trailer on a campground site, we connect the sewage tote and let the water collect there.

Most modern dehumidifiers (including our two) won't run when the air temperature gets below 50 or 60F, so they aren't damaged by frigid winters.

Did you say six gallons? That's a lot for winterizing. Did you bypass the water heater first?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #8

Our trailer sits in a seasonal park. The other thing I do is place a few Moisture Grabber pouches around on the floor for moisture. You can buy them from HomeDepot or Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p_1000838194.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	242744  
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, trailer