Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Makes ya kind of sad.

It's one of those things that just kinda makes you sad. In April of this year, we sold our 2007 Jayco so we could purchase our 2018 Cherokee. We sold it to a nice set of older sisters, both widowers who love to camp. Today I was at a local grocery store and there was the trailer parked in front of the store. Now my wife always said I was OCD when it came to taking care of the trailer. Washed, waxed, scrubbed, greased, every fall and every spring. Roof looked brand new when I sold it. I even replaced a couple parts the day the sisters picked it up, so it would be in good shape for them. What I saw today....I wanted to cry. Dirt and black streaks cover every inch of the trailer. The door is being held together by about 1/2 lb of black Gorilla Tape. Every single window shade has tears and huge holes in them. the fold out step is gone...very obvious it was torn off. About a 2" hole in the fiberglass on the back end, along with the bumper that is pushed all the way into one corner on the passenger side. The propane cover I put on before fall and our last trips with her....the top lid is broke off and the cover is split about 8" down the front. Then I also noticed it has no license plate and I received a notice of renewal at the beginning of the month. Contacting the DMV tomorrow to see if I need to do anything for Liability as it is still registered in my name. Just makes ya a little sick to see what happened to something you took extreme care of for 9 years.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Why is it still registered in your name? That should have Bern priority number one when sold. Are you sure that was the same trailer? Sounds like a lot of damage for a year.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Why is it still registered in your name? That should have Bern priority number one when sold. Are you sure that was the same trailer? Sounds like a lot of damage for a year.
Still registered in my name due to the fact that obviously they haven't registered it in their name and gotten license plates. I had two decals on either side of the entry door and they are still there...no doubt it's my old trailer. Destroyed in 5 months.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
King of the Road

Maybe these older sisters didn't know you had to get tags for it? Had a friend that bought one a few years back and just towed it around on weekends.

Until he got stopped and ticketed he didn't know he needed license plates for the trailer, thought his truck plates would cover both.

Here's your sign.....

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

Those 2 sisters must have had some wild parties!!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

They both own vehicles and I'm sure they know it has to be licensed and registered...but...you never really know.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

Word to the wise, never leave plates on any vehicle, trailer, boat, etc when you sell it. Get a bill of sale (easily downloaded on internet) to cover yourself. you don't want someone coming after you for something they did because your plates are on it and you have no proof you sold it.
But it is sad. I am l like you with the camper any my vehicles. Spotless all the time.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post
Word to the wise, never leave plates on any vehicle, trailer, boat, etc when you sell it. Get a bill of sale (easily downloaded on internet) to cover yourself. you don't want someone coming after you for something they did because your plates are on it and you have no proof you sold it.
But it is sad. I am l like you with the camper any my vehicles. Spotless all the time.
I never leave plates on a vehicle, took those off the day I put it up for sale. Made them sign two Bills of Sale...one for them, one for me. I'll send one to the DMV if they want it.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I get the bill of sale and title notarized when possession is transferred.... I retain a notarized copy of the bill of sale.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
Site Team

When you turned in the tags with reason sold, It should have been taken out of your name.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
When you turned in the tags with reason sold, It should have been taken out of your name.
Don't have to turn them in in Nebraska. It's up to the new owner to take in the B.O.S. and get a new registrations and plates.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #12

Never heard of anyone turning in tags just make sure to take off
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #13

Washington state lets you keep the trailer plates and put them on your new one. Saves you $5 or so. But you are also required to send in a report of sale. Now as of the July 1, 2017 you have to pay $8.75 to file the report and they would like to have it within 5 days. It says there is no penalty for not filing within 5 days but you can be held financially responsible if the new owner has problems.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
Washington state lets you keep the trailer plates and put them on your new one. Saves you $5 or so. But you are also required to send in a report of sale. Now as of the July 1, 2017 you have to pay $8.75 to file the report and they would like to have it within 5 days. It says there is no penalty for not filing within 5 days but you can be held financially responsible if the new owner has problems.

In Maryland, you need to turn the plates in and the reason it's being unregistered. This let's MVA know it's sold/no longer in your name.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #15

Kansas wants you to turn in old plates to get taxes back. You can move to a new trailer to save about $5. If you sell and don't buy new you can mail in a bill of sale so they know you no longer own it. I did all that and still recieved a renewal notice for two sold vehicles even though I know both were already registered under someone else (sold to family).
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #16

I am sure the DMV can check the serial number to see if it is registered/not in your name or not. Should be pretty easy.

Suggestion(used and worked for me).. get some candy/ice cream/sweet of your choice and go to DMV. Give "stuff" to girls at office(helps if they might recognize you). Now ask for your favor(and tell them you want a favor and you are making a peace offering). It's Halloween time...a bag(sealed) of candy is a good idea. $5 gets a lot of favors.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #17

Title Change

When you sell anything in Pennsylvania, you have to go to a notary and get title/tags transferred over. If you don't, then it is still in your name. Not sure if all states are like that, but if we were to move, we would do this anywhere just to be safe.
DeborahL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
In Maryland, you need to turn the plates in and the reason it's being unregistered. This let's MVA know it's sold/no longer in your name.
And in Maryland, if you discontinue the insurance before you turn the tags in, you will charged a hefty fine.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #19

Ohioan checking in.

Don't have to turn in tags or report the sale. You just hope they register it in their name.

I've had this bite me in the butt.

I've also bought a truck from a guy in Kentucky and he reported the truck as scrapped to write it off on his taxes, which caused me a massive world of problems.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #20

When we sold our last RV to a couple that we know... The DW had a list of all the changes that she wanted to do to it. The RV was still in very good shape and we added over the years some 'improvements'. The next time we say 'our camper'.... OMG... Everything was changed. Improvements.... gone. They painted the insides in colors that only went with a lot of beer and good drugs... We were very unhappy about 'our camper'.... BUT, THEY were very happy with the changes that they did and the wife and I just smiled and said that we were very happy that they 'Loved it'.

The wife and I understood very well that it was no longer 'our camper' and 'we' were very happy, that THEY were happy.... and 'we' had to 'let go' of how it looks 'now', but remember all of 'the good times that we had THEN'...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote