Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

Maps and Books

As a newbie with one shake down weekend under our belt, we are ready to start our summer trips in our Surveyor 200mble and F150 Ecoboost. Since we live in Maryland, we will start on the east coast. I'd like any recommendations on Road Atlas for RVs, Campground guides (we will only do full 30 amp hookups this year), Mobile device apps. We will do mostly long weekends until 2019 (retirement). We are nature lovers, love biking and hiking.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

Your best bet to get info might be to use the search box in the upper right of the site it will take you to tons of articles on what is available
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Failure is my business

For what it's worth, I use WAZE for all my driving. And I have a 2017 Motor Carriers Atlas I use to see if I might find low clearances on a new route.

https://www.amazon.com/McNally-Motor...2525577&sr=8-2
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

For campgrounds, I use three on line apps. First one RV Park Rewievs.com, Second one recreation.gov (this one is for all of the federal parks that are available to camp in) and the third one KOA camping reservations when we are really need a campground for one night only.

As far as driving I purchased a Rand McNally GPS about 10 years ago and this has served me will. The unit allows you to input trailer height, total weight of both TV and trailer plus length. The unit will route you pass low bridges, tunnels and so forth. I still use an atlas and paper maps from various states we travel thru.

On line, I go to each state that we plan on visiting or driving thru and ask for maps and tourist information. This is always free if you go to the states web site and look for tourist information. You need to allow 4 or 5 weeks for mailing so start early.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Retired

x2 on the 2017 Motor Carriers Atlas
Don't fully trust our Garmin 760RV GPS its taken us down a few wrong roads. We use our phone's GPS with better results...just uploaded WAZE.
We also use Good Sam's Exclusive Trip Planner when pre-planning...gives you lots of info from fuel stops to campgrounds along your route. I personally like to post our trip on the FRF...you can get more great info by doing so. We also have apps such as Good Sam, GasBuddy, myPilot, RV Parky, NPS, CATScales on our "smart" phone.

Happy Trails
Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips

I'll get the McNally Motor Carriers for sure. I have Waze and Gas Buddy; will probably get myPilot and look at Good Sam &RV Parky.
Thanks Sea Dog, I forgot about the internal search. I read thru much of it.
Recreation.gov looks good too.

We are off to French Creek State Park next weekend!
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote