Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Markdown price from retail

We're looking at special ordering a Cedar Creek Cottage trailer. The dealer gave me the Options worksheet with all the prices listed as retail. The retail price of the trailer and options came out to $79,197. The dealer has offered the trailer for $68,500. This is about 14% below retail, which seems pretty minimal to me.

I've never purchased a trailer new so I don't know what the standard range is of markdowns from retail. Can others provide some insight one what range below retails is realistic.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
We're looking at special ordering a Cedar Creek Cottage trailer. The dealer gave me the Options worksheet with all the prices listed as retail. The retail price of the trailer and options came out to $79,197. The dealer has offered the trailer for $68,500. This is about 14% below retail, which seems pretty minimal to me.

I've never purchased a trailer new so I don't know what the standard range is of markdowns from retail. Can others provide some insight one what range below retails is realistic.
Due to COVID-19, standard range of markdowns is no longer standard. Once upon a time in a faraway land, the standard was around 35%... but it seems to be a seller's market with the virus. We've seen multiple threads about reduced inventory at dealerships.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Yep, this not a good time for RV buyers. RVs are selling faster than dealers can stock them, factories aren't up to full production speed, used inventory is low.
So dealers don't have to negotiate. There are numerous posts here where members tried to deal and left to think about it, only to call back and find it was sold a few hours after they left.
And since you live on the West Coast, it's even less than a buyers market. Since dealers out here try make a profit on shipping costs, RVs are much higher here and we pay around 15%-20% more than the Midwest.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #4

It does seem to be a sellers market and the Cottage trailers are not a high volume item at a dealer.
You're making a significant investment and you should get the custom trailer you want.
To get a general idea of the price of Cottage trailers, you could check online at rvtrader.com Of course, those are not custom trailers.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post

I found this site for you, perhaps it will be of help. they seem to specialize in Cottage campers.

https://www.couchsrvnation.com/fores...ge%22%5D%7D%7D

You might also like this thread if you dont' already know about it:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ad-131860.html

and Im sure you have already researched what is out there but just in case, this site will show you what is available and the prices. Might be worth modifying one pre owned if you can save enough money.

There is a New 2020 model n Sturgis, WI listed at 51,800, that I bet you could get for 45,000 or less. That dealer has been holding it for a long long time and will undoubtedly be VERY happy to get it off his lot so he can quit paying interest on it

https://www.rvtrader.com/Forest-Rive...=40CCK%7C24660