Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #41

New mattress

Our 2020 R POD 178 came with the same crummy mattress. Because of its non-standard size it was either the three inch memory foam, or visit our local mattress manufactor. They custom trimed a queen to fit our space. Absolutely perfect. Surprisingly affordable for just under two hundred dollars.
I also cut down and remade a fitted sheet, then I cut down and sewed gussets on the foot end of the top sheet, blanket and comforter. Now remaking the bed in the morning is a breeze, even though it is almost impossible to reach the backside as you all would know.
RBfromRJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #42

We added a 3” memory foam topper from Walmart in our 2020 RPod 195 immediately after buying it, per John Marucci recommendations. Wonderful sleeping. I am 6’4” so we did not trim the extra length and it works great.
Texcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #43

Cool Mattress question

We bought a Zenius 8 inch mattress on Amazon. They come in “short queen” which is what you need for a TT. We love it never any trouble getting comfortable and sleep like a baby. We never even slept on the mattress that came with it! The mattress was about $250, but well worth the money! Also bought 2” toppers for the dinette and the bunks! The kids are super grateful as is my mom. For the bunks we bought a king size and cut with an electric knife. Is about 2.5 inches shy on the width but the kids put their bags in that space so works well. My mom 74y/o sleeps on the dinette with the topper and is able to “ hop” out of bed without pain. They are a win all the way around! Happy camping!!! 🏕
KristaMarkandthekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #44

I have only one problem with replacing my Queen RV mattress with a full size queen. I would have to drive with the bedroom slide out.
TommyI1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #45
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
With these mattresses there doesn't seem to be any happy medium. Mine is on a Murphy Bed and was rock hard. At lest the OP's was soft enough to form depressions.

Only thing good I can say about the mattress that came with my trailer is that it was heated. Trying to figure out how to keep that and still have a better mattress.
We also have the FR rock hard & heated Murphy bed matrress in our 2011 MiniLite etc 181. I think we've used the heater twice in 9 years. Since we're USFS/state park/boondock campers, and running the genny at night would be rude to others and keep us awake, we use an extra blanket if it gets too cold. Thinking about getting a Zinus foam replacement since we have a Dr. Green mattress at home and like it. Have you had any luck in your efforts?
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #46

Lots of people buy Toppers and seem to be satisfied. I think of it as lipstick on a pig and always purchase a real mattress from day one.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #47

depends on your pocketbook...

I spent $30 on a waffle style plain foam 1.5 inch pad from Walmart and my heated fold-in-half mattress now sleeps just fine. I spend up to 3 months at a time on that mattress.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:05 AM   #48

I bought the 4” topper for my mattress. I let it air out on the back of my truck for several hours. I used an ele knife to cut it to a short Queen. Fast forward, it was hard to get on and off the bed. Had a big intention in it. The off gassing was so bad especially in the summer. After a year and half, I couldn’t take it anymore and rolled it up and donated it to the Red Cross. I still smell off gasing but not as bad. I have a Forest River Travel trailer. I like the original hard mattress better. It’s much easier to get off the bed. I would buy a new mattress over a topper. I did put two hotel toppers on my mattress and it’s good enough for now.
ForHevensake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:42 AM   #49

Ias I said in my original post, I bought an RV Queen, 3” topper from My Pillow. I paid close to $300 for it. It has ‘cool’ memory foam, fits the bed perfectly, washable cover and has never had any kind of odor. I just bought a second 3” topper that I use for the fold out couch when I have guests traveling with me; they were very complimentary about the comfort of the bed.

I looked all over Amazon for toppers and came to the conclusion, the My Pillow topper was the one for me.
TommyI1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #50

gel memory foam 3in..put it on mine its great
Old 11-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
The Murphy bed mattress in our MiniLite 2104S is also heated and rock hard. We put a 3" memory foam top on it, and now it's more comfortable than our bed at home. BTW, the heated mattress still works with the foam top, it just takes a little more time for the heat to soak through.

I'd recommend people try a topper first. They're cheaper than a whole mattress, and it seems like a waste of landfill space to toss a brand new mattress. JMHO.
Ditto that. I wanted to toss our RV Queen immediately but DW suggested memory foam topper. Once again... "you were right...and I was wrong" 😏
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #52

Another that likes the Zinus brand.

Got on Amazon.

We liked the one in the RV so much we replaced the one in the S&B with the same brand.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #53

Memory foam topper was our first mod. Very comfortable.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #54

Update.... the My Mr Pillow topper is kinda firm. I wish it was a little more giving. But sept good both nights. I am 5’11” 250lbs. So it has its work cut for it. I do recommend this topper.
12vcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #55
Coz

We found a sleep number queen and it fits perfectly. The best part is it weighs 4 lbs. ; all air. I have a question about windows if your still around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #56
Coz

Windows fogging!!!! Ned help please.
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #57

I am here. What is your window question?
12vcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Windows fogging!!!! Ned help please.
You must never went to the drive-in movie with your sweetie... you would then have learned why windows fog...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #59
Koz

We have a RPod 189.
We ditched the factory mattress!
Replaced it with a rv queen that we bought on Amazon.
Brand: American Mattress Company

4.7 out of 5 stars**100Reviews

American Mattress Company 6" Graphite Infused Memory Foam-Sleeps Cooler-100% Made in The USA-Medium Firm (RV Queen)
Koz 65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement