Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #61

I always carry a clean white bucket with me when we camp. Before I run any water into my fw tank or my system, I run a bucketful to take a good look at it.
I started doing this after camping for 3 or 4 days at a small campground near Piqua, Ohio. The water was so bad there that it completely clogged a nearly new KW-1 filter in 3 days. I made the mistake of rinsing the dust off my black truck when we got there and thought I had ruined the paint after it dried. It took polishing compound and days of work to get it off. A glass of it looked like slightly diluted orange juice.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #62
Benchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I always carry a clean white bucket with me when we camp. Before I run any water into my fw tank or my system, I run a bucketful to take a good look at it.
I started doing this after camping for 3 or 4 days at a small campground near Piqua, Ohio. The water was so bad there that it completely clogged a nearly new KW-1 filter in 3 days. I made the mistake of rinsing the dust off my black truck when we got there and thought I had ruined the paint after it dried. It took polishing compound and days of work to get it off. A glass of it looked like slightly diluted orange juice.
Great idea, just added it to my packing list, thks.

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #63
Trailer Park Supervisor

Holy smokes, we need to start a database of campgrounds with good or bad water. As accessibility to clean odor free water is the main reason for paying for a camping site in my book, would be nice to know this critical piece of information before stopping at a place. Sorry, if you can't provide good water, you shouldn't be a campground.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #64
Benchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Holy smokes, we need to start a database of campgrounds with good or bad water. As accessibility to clean odor free water is the main reason for paying for a camping site in my book, would be nice to know this critical piece of information before stopping at a place. Sorry, if you can't provide good water, you shouldn't be a campground.
X2

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #65

Quote:
The problem is that some are subject to local (County/State) regulation and some are not. Some have to provide water samples to the local health departments regularly, some don't.

Maybe it's time that all campgrounds be required to post a Health Department Certificate stating that their water system has been tested and found safe, showing the date of last test. Just like restaurants, even Food Trucks.

It's up to us campers to figure out which.

FWIW, bottled water industry is a bigger crap shoot (no pun intended).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #66
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's why feedback from us campers could be really helpful to one another. Think of how many camps the collective bunch of us could list!

And I don't care if it's technically 'safe', i.e. Sulfur water. Aesthetics matter!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #67

With exception to couple years when I was younger and easily persuaded by fear mongering and marketing tactics, I've been drinking tap water all my life including outside the US. No issue whatsoever. I've been drinking tap water in NY, CT and elsewhere nearby for 20+ years. It is safer/less risk than bottled water. Only thing I do is filter it mainly to remove the bleach taste. I use Zerowater filter (around $9 each) as the least filter scam out there. It works and it is worth it until I find a better option. Cost less than bottled water and far less plastic pollution. I also have inline filter installed by FR to run all incoming water from tank or city water.

Since I started RVing, I added a water softener, which costs nothing beyond the initial investment. Few pounds of salt to regenerate the softener every few months and that is all.

I also stopped recently drinking soft drinks and got Soda stream machine. Now, I have my water and Soda onboard as long as I have clean tap water in my tank that I sanitize regularly. All of this cut my trash/recycle to minimal, reduced the weight I have to carry, shopping I have to make, and saved me few bucks along the way.

Let me know if I have a flaw in my thinking. I am game.

Like a short skirt, a useful conversation is short enough to retain interest and long enough to cover the subject.
RVrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVrover View Post
With exception to couple years when I was younger and easily persuaded by fear mongering and marketing tactics, I've been drinking tap water all my life including outside the US. No issue whatsoever. I've been drinking tap water in NY, CT and elsewhere nearby for 20+ years. It is safer/less risk than bottled water. Only thing I do is filter it mainly to remove the bleach taste. I use Zerowater filter (around $9 each) as the least filter scam out there. It works and it is worth it until I find a better option. Cost less than bottled water and far less plastic pollution. I also have inline filter installed by FR to run all incoming water from tank or city water.

Since I started RVing, I added a water softener, which costs nothing beyond the initial investment. Few pounds of salt to regenerate the softener every few months and that is all.

I also stopped recently drinking soft drinks and got Soda stream machine. Now, I have my water and Soda onboard as long as I have clean tap water in my tank that I sanitize regularly. All of this cut my trash/recycle to minimal, reduced the weight I have to carry, shopping I have to make, and saved me few bucks along the way.

Let me know if I have a flaw in my thinking. I am game.
Not necessarily a good thing for people with heart issues. The harder the water, the more salt that's added to the water. Water that may also include Salt in addition to the elements that make it "hard".

My Dr has me on a "low salt" diet and it's hard enough to eat and keep sodium intake down to my "limit" so no "softened water" for me.

Maybe water that was run through an Reverse Osmosis filter.

BTW, one of the worst places to drink tap or well water if on a low salt diet is in Arizona, especially where most "Snowbirds" go and water softeners just increase the normal salinity. That's why there are so many places that sell water that's been filtered by an RO unit.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not necessarily a good thing for people with heart issues. The harder the water, the more salt that's added to the water. Water that may also include Salt in addition to the elements that make it "hard".

My Dr has me on a "low salt" diet and it's hard enough to eat and keep sodium intake down to my "limit" so no "softened water" for me.

Maybe water that was run through an Reverse Osmosis filter.

BTW, one of the worst places to drink tap or well water if on a low salt diet is in Arizona, especially where most "Snowbirds" go and water softeners just increase the normal salinity. That's why there are so many places that sell water that's been filtered by an RO unit.
Several folks in our family are on low salt diets also, so we did lots of research on hard/soft water. It's usually calcium and magnesium that make water hard, and most doctors and articles told us hard water was not a problem for the low salt diet. In fact, it was usually better for your health due to the minerals. Of course, not so good for your pipes and fixtures!
And AZ is just like anywhere else, some locations have better water than others, but to say all tap/well water in AZ is bad for folks on low salt diet is just incorrect.
We spend lots of time in AZ, and found a few RV resorts/parks that soften their water use saltless softeners (at least in the clubhouse) due to the older clients and the saltless systems require less maint and are cheaper to operate. Of course most parks we frequent do not soften their water at all, as there is no need to.
Good luck with your salt intake, we know how watching this can definitely change your life style!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Several folks in our family are on low salt diets also, so we did lots of research on hard/soft water. It's usually calcium and magnesium that make water hard, and most doctors and articles told us hard water was not a problem for the low salt diet. In fact, it was usually better for your health due to the minerals. Of course, not so good for your pipes and fixtures!
And AZ is just like anywhere else, some locations have better water than others, but to say all tap/well water in AZ is bad for folks on low salt diet is just incorrect.
We spend lots of time in AZ, and found a few RV resorts/parks that soften their water use saltless softeners due to the older clients and the saltless systems require less maint and are cheaper to operate. Of course most parks we frequent do not soften their water at all, as there is no need to.
Good luck with your salt intake, we know how watching this can definitely change your life style!
The issue in AZ is that when you look at the USGS map for hardness/salinity the areas with "good" water are few with MOST of the state "in the red".

Yes, no issue with hardness alone, it's just when one uses a softener that requires salt as indicated in the post I was commenting on.

I had an employee living in the Phoenix area and all I ever heard from him was the problems he had with water. Corroded and damaged pipes along with constant hassles with his RO system. Made me glad I live in an area with relatively soft water. So soft in fact that I had to add "Hardness" to the water when I changed it in the Hot Tub

Old 12-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Yes, no issue with hardness alone, it's just when one uses a softener that requires salt as indicated in the post I was commenting on.
Chances you guys know that the added salt I mentioned is only for "rejuvenating" the softener? Right? It is completely flushed after 30 minutes.
https://youtu.be/LBBewXRNW2c

unlike the NE where I lived the most, the south has hard water, some more than others. I can't drink this without the Zero filter, even after I softened it. I can instantly taste and even smell the water when my filter reading goes above 6. It is also not good for skin, hair, and lathering among the things you mentioned about pipes, water heater, etc.

Any other medical reasons can prevent someone from drinking water using my setup?

Like a short skirt, a useful conversation is short enough to retain interest and long enough to cover the subject.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVrover View Post
Chances you guys know that the added salt I mentioned is only for "rejuvenating" the softener? Right? It is completely flushed after 30 minutes.
https://youtu.be/LBBewXRNW2c

unlike the NE where I lived the most, the south has hard water, some more than others. I can't drink this without the Zero filter, even after I softened it. I can instantly taste and even smell the water when my filter reading goes above 6. It is also not good for skin, hair, and lathering among the things you mentioned about pipes, water heater, etc.

Any other medical reasons can prevent someone from drinking water using my setup?

From "How does a water softener work":

Quote:
When freshly regenerated, the beads become full of sodium ions from the water softener salt. As hard water passes through the water softener system, the calcium and magnesium ions are attracted to the resin beads. ... The softener system then delivers soft water for your use

Yes, the salt does "rejuvenate" the water softener but all those sodium ions absorbed by the beads are then exchanged for the hardness "ions". That means that the soft water comes out with more Sodium than when it went in. From what I have read it appears that hardness "grains" are replaced with approximately twice the Sodium "grains".

Quote:
In other words, if your water test tells you that you have 18 grains per gallon hardness, installing a water softener will add about 35 milligrams of sodium to each 8 oz. glass of water you drink. To put this in perspective, a tablespoon of catsup has 204 mg.
How Much Sodium Does a Water Softener Put into Your Water? –Â*Pure Water Products, LLC

Note the part in the "article" how the softening process adds to whatever salt is already in the water. Multiply the final total by the number of glasses one drinks per day then subtract from one's allowed daily intake of sodium. It adds up.

For those on a low sodium diet and "watch the labels" on food purchased, it's amazing how much salt is in about everything (except a boiled potato which only has 3 mg).

Heck, If I eat a recommended portion of canned chili I've used up 60% of my daily Sodium allowance.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #73

Very interesting! Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #74
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Heck, If I eat a recommended portion of canned chili I've used up 60% of my daily Sodium allowance.
Canned stuff and especially frozen meals are notorious for high sodium content. I generally avoid both.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #75

Quote:
Canned stuff and especially frozen meals are notorious for high sodium content. I generally avoid both.
In recent years a lot of frozen meals have been added to the market with a lot lower sodium content than was the norm for decades. Just have to take the time to search through the stuff in the freezer and read the labels

Face it, Salt was used to make crappy stuff taste better.

When cooking for one sometimes prepared meals are more attractive than trying to scale a recipe down so you don't have to eat leftovers for 5 days straight.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #76

We are on an 90ft drilled well. Best damn water Ive ever drank. No smell bo chlorine taste. In summer it comes up at 4c yeah its hell on the hot water bill. But so refreshing. We bottle it in 2 gallon jugs for our parents because they like it better than their tap water.
When I was younger I stayed at a buddies house and they had sulphur water! Ugh. I couldnt drink it. Whenever you turned on a tap you would get a hiss of air for a few seconds and it was like the worst rotten egg fart. It made your eyes tickle!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water