Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #21

We take our travel Berkey with us and glass containers. No matter the source, after it filters through the Berkey, it's as clean as it gets.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
We take our travel Berkey with us and glass containers. No matter the source, after it filters through the Berkey, it's as clean as it gets.
And how long did it take to pay for itself if you were to have paid for the water you get from it?

Here's the next step in "water filtration". Turning urine into both water and electricity.

https://www.salon.com/2014/04/16/pow...d_electricity/

This would be perfect for the RV industry. Drink beer, run through this process, get drinking water and be able to charge your batteries.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #23

I have a friend, who swears by those filtered pitchers. I reckon if you want good clean water to drink those probably help quite a bit. I've thought about getting one and trying it out as well.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #24

Our Zero Water pitcher provides the best water I have tasted. Haven't changed the filter in almost a year. We use the tester to compare our tap water to the filtered Zero Water. The difference is amazing. And taste is much better than the Brita pitcher.

I'm sure there will be the usual skeptics here, but I suggest you give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapex View Post
I have a friend, who swears by those filtered pitchers. I reckon if you want good clean water to drink those probably help quite a bit. I've thought about getting one and trying it out as well.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
And how long did it take to pay for itself if you were to have paid for the water you get from it?
:
No idea about payback cost on the Berkey because I could not care less. The water is clean no matter where we camp, or what the original source of the water is. No plastic waste to clutter.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Our Zero Water pitcher provides the best water I have tasted. Haven't changed the filter in almost a year. We use the tester to compare our tap water to the filtered Zero Water. The difference is amazing. And taste is much better than the Brita pitcher.

I'm sure there will be the usual skeptics here, but I suggest you give it a try.
Thanks, I appreciate your recommendation on the item you use. Lots of choices online.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
No idea about payback cost on the Berkey because I could not care less. The water is clean no matter where we camp, or what the original source of the water is. No plastic waste to clutter.
Understood. Merely mentioned because often people don't take into consideration how much they spend on items like bottled water when they can make a single investment and save gobs of money over the long run.

My Dad used to call it "Shortsightedness".

Old 11-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #28

water

You guys are scaring me; I'm 72 years old and have been drinking WELL WATER all my life--right out of the ground! I'll probably die! I think I'll go take a drive in my car where I know I'm perfectly safe and have nothing to worry about.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
If you keep a clean FW tank you should not have any problems. I have had wells that was pumped out of the ground into a pressure tank and into my house. No filtration or chemicals added and it was the best water ever. Wish I had it again. I can smell the chlorine at times when they do a heavy treatment with our local water.
Most (all?) municipal water plants balance the chlorine with ammonia to minimize the taste and smell, and to preserve the pipes. This is effective for most bacteria, but there are a few kinds which require stronger treatment. Thus there is a Federal regulation which requires the municipal water treatment plants to eliminate the ammonia for one month of the year. I can taste/smell the difference, and I'll bet you can too.

In our community the treatment month is March. There's always a notice in the newspaper because special handling is needed for changing fish tank water, watering houseplants, etc. I've also noticed that if I need to replace rubber faucet washers, ballcock washers, or flush valves (rubber part in the bottom of the tank), it's usually in April, after the full month's exposure. If Bruce (Nomad397) is reading this, he might tell us whether he has an uptick in business then.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #30

My local water utility is able to get most of their water from a mountain lake where they control the land around it so contamination risk is limited.

I don't smell any chlorine and because the utility regularly flushes the mains (the Fire Department does it so they can certify hydrant flow at the same time) we don't get any sediment to speak of either.

I'm sure water quality varies around the country and some areas require more chemical treatment than others but out here we're fortunate. At least for now

Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #31

Best water

Well, we were in Banff and went into a store to buy some bottled water, which we rarely do. The store owner says wait, you’re in Banff and you think that bottled water might be better? Dude, our tap water comes directly off the glacier. So we just refilled what we had from the tap. Best water ever!
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #32

Bottled Water Scam

Where I live in North Texas, the Nestles brand bottled water says right on the label - Source: Dallas Public Water Supply

Like was said before: Evian spelled backwards is Naive!! The bottled water industry is completely unregulated - there are no, zero quality and/or purity standards for bottled water
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #33
NXR

Quote:
That's exactly what my Daughter did for three kids. Bottles got refilled from the tap and re-used until lost or someone poked a hole in it.
So once upon a time last century I worked in corporate aviation, you know, flying executives around in the company jets. The President of one division, Sam, absolutely had to have a certain brand and vintage of wine on board, well over a hundred dollars a bottle, nothing else. There'd be heck to pay if it wasn't there.

The flight department clerk, Keith, was the one tasked with buying supplies and he absolutely hated that President. So Keith decided to buy some $4 per bottle cheapo stuff from the grocery store and refill the bottles, He did it for months and no one, including Sam, was the wiser. Once he was found out he explained and said how long he'd been doing it. The Chief Pilot thought it was hilarious and let him continue.

Why did Keith hate the President? Keith and Sam ran into each other at a local concert venue. Sam told Keith "I didn't know you had culture!" Keith was a graduate of Julliard.

Ray
Old 11-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
So once upon a time last century I worked in corporate aviation, you know, flying executives around in the company jets. The President of one division, Sam, absolutely had to have a certain brand and vintage of wine on board, well over a hundred dollars a bottle, nothing else. There'd be heck to pay if it wasn't there.

The flight department clerk, Keith, was the one tasked with buying supplies and he absolutely hated that President. So Keith decided to buy some $4 per bottle cheapo stuff from the grocery store and refill the bottles, He did it for months and no one, including Sam, was the wiser. Once he was found out he explained and said how long he'd been doing it. The Chief Pilot thought it was hilarious and let him continue.

Why did Keith hate the President? Keith and Sam ran into each other at a local concert venue. Sam told Keith "I didn't know you had culture!" Keith was a graduate of Julliard.

Ray
I'm surprised that "Keith" didn't pee a little in the bottle first and then fill it the rest of the way with the cheap wine.

(Remember the "Punch" in the movie "Hollywood Knights"?)

This story also reminds me of a joke I heard once.

An old guy came into the bar and sat down. Asked the bartender for some Scotch and "make it 24 years old".

Bartender took a look at him, figured him for just a regular drunk, and gave him some Scotch from the well.

Old man took a sip, spit it out, and said "I asked for 24 year old scotch, this is at best 8 years old".

Bartender wasn't going to give in so he filled a glass with some 12 year old.

Old man took a sip and again spit it out saying, "nice try but 12 year old scotch is not what I asked for.

Bartender was now totally PO'd. He decided to end this once and for all. He went to the back, relieved himself in a glass, then returned and placed it in front of the old guy.

Guy took a sip, spit it out, and loudly said "This is Urine".

Bartender said "You are absolutely right. Now tell me how old I am".

Old 11-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
Yes, snobbery can jump up and bite you.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #36
NXR

Quote:
I'm surprised that "Keith" didn't pee a little in the bottle first and then fill it the rest of the way with the cheap wine.

(Remember the "Punch" in the movie "Hollywood Knights"?)
Yes indeed!

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hollywood Knights.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	219796  
Old 11-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #37

Several years ago our lab ran 8 different samples of "Bottled Water" 6 of the 8 tested the same or similar as tap water.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #38

IPA -- India Pale Ale -- was developed to replace drinking water that was sure to spoil in a wood cask on a long cruise in a sailing ship.

I see no reason to disregard this proven solution.

-- Chuck
Old 11-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #39
Trailer Park Supervisor

Agreed! I think it was the bacteriostatic nature of additional hops!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Up here we had a water crisis in Walkerton Ontario. 8 People died due to improperly treated municipal water. This was act of two brothers on Mayor and the other in charge of the treatment of water, Suppressed test results. This was our Flint.

Ever since then all parks have treated water tested twice a week, all municipal water tested independently. Having been a victim myself of Crypto-Sypridium. We buy cases of tested bottled water for camping to be safe.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water