Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #1

Maybe drinking water from the tank is safer.

https://news-yahoo-com.cdn.ampprojec...150410025.html

In reading this report it appears that bottled water regulations are not what we all think.

Even when contamination is found much of the bottled product is already consumed during to delays or just plain inaction.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
D W

I've never put much stock in "bottled water" myself. To start with, it's 1000% overpriced and you have no idea where the water comes from. A long standing saying about the big distributor of bottled water EVIAN:

EVIAN spelled backwards is NAIVE!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #3

I always use Crystal Geyser water. It’s bottled at several natural springs all around the country. Available at Dollar Tree. I also like that it had a screw top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB2C913B-621E-4F8B-BC6A-62614E831DE7.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	219733  
Old 11-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

The water from my FW tank is the BEST Jerry, the best!!! Yes, I drink the water!!!! I kind of want to force others who have some irrational fear of drinking campground water to do so. Maybe trick them into it somehow. Put it in a commercial water bottle when they visit my camp, and go "Ahaaa!!! You're drinking CAMPGROUND WATER!!" lol.
Attached Images

NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
I always use Crystal Geyser water. It’s bottled at several natural springs all around the country. Available at Dollar Tree. I also like that it had a screw top.
Feel free to drink whatever you like.

The point of the article was that there is essentially NO EFFECTIVE regulation of the bottled water industry. Even water from "natural springs" can contain harmful ingredients leached from the surrounding elements.

Note the known carcinogens found in one bottled water that supposedly came from natural sources.

Where I live a large bottling company (big name brand) wanted to set up a plant in a large city nearby. They wanted to draw millions of gallons from the city water supply. Reason? The city water was sourced up in the nearby mountains from snow and glacier melt. No doubt they figured they could advertise the "glacier melt" part on their labels.

What I'm sure they wouldn't advertise that it first had to run down through a wilderness area (with all those animals doing what animals do in the woods), was then collected in a large lake (with fish doing what fish do in the water) and then treated through the city water plant.

In short their bottled water would be exactly the same as what comes out of the local taps ------------- EXCEPT ------- the local tap water is tested and if any contamination makes it into the distribution lines the users get notified as soon as it's detected and testing occurs frequently.

Not so with bottled water and the most likely source of contamination just might be those nice looking bottles with screw caps that have been exposed to who knows what while waiting to be filled.

Drink up

Old 11-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

Making me thirsty
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Safest thing to do is stick with a strong IPA.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The point of the article was that there is essentially NO EFFECTIVE regulation of the bottled water industry.

In short their bottled water would be exactly the same as what comes out of the local taps ------------- EXCEPT ------- the local tap water is tested and if any contamination makes it into the distribution lines the users get notified as soon as it's detected and testing occurs frequently.

Not so with bottled water and the most likely source of contamination just might be those nice looking bottles with screw caps that have been exposed to who knows what while waiting to be filled.
1. No regulation is a good thing according to some people.

2. If the local water bureau finds problems and notifies users, I would assume that would include the bottling plant and they would take appropriate/necessary action.

3. Guess we need to stop drinking anything that comes in a nice looking bottle - water, beer, wine, soda, coffee .......

All my comments aside, I also don't think bottled water is a good idea and rarely - very, very rarely - will indulge in it.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Bottled water is the biggest scam in the world and one of the largest world polluters.
There has been numerous studies that shows in public taste tests, that most preferred the city water to the bottled water. The majority of the public couldn't taste any difference.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

Yep it is a crap shoot out there .... consumer beware ... know what you are buying and that applies to food and water ... we have a well that I send thru a big carbon filter and the water is good ... I buy bottle water for kids and grand kids they get what they want it is a paw paw deal ... I drink campground and tank water and I drank a lot of hose water late fifties and sixties
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 11-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Bottled water is the biggest scam in the world and one of the largest world polluters.
There has been numerous studies that shows in public taste tests, that most preferred the city water to the bottled water. The majority of the public couldn't taste any difference.

X2

And not to mention all of those single use bottles filling up landfills, ditches, lake and even our oceans.

If you keep a clean FW tank you should not have any problems. I have had wells that was pumped out of the ground into a pressure tank and into my house. No filtration or chemicals added and it was the best water ever. Wish I had it again. I can smell the chlorine at times when they do a heavy treatment with out local water.

I will admit that I do have to buy a bottle of water on occasions because of health problems. Other than that it comes straight out of the tap. If I lived in Detroit that would be a whole different issue.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
1. No regulation is a good thing according to some people.

2. If the local water bureau finds problems and notifies users, I would assume that would include the bottling plant and they would take appropriate/necessary action.

3. Guess we need to stop drinking anything that comes in a nice looking bottle - water, beer, wine, soda, coffee .......

All my comments aside, I also don't think bottled water is a good idea and rarely - very, very rarely - will indulge in it.
That's an assumption I certainly wouldn't make myself. WHO at the bottling plant gets the notification? What do they actually do about it? Shutting down production usually means profit losses so it's the last thing they want to do.

As to "notifications" in general, remember that the FBI office in Florida knew about the Stoneman-Douglas High School shooter long BEFORE he acted. The warning(s) just sat on a desk. What makes anyone think the bureaucracy in the average Corporation would act any different?

Old 11-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #13

Read the bottle. The source is usually listed.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I buy bottle water for kids and grand kids they get what they want
Frank, refill the bottle with tap water, they won't know the difference. Don't let paw paw get pushed around!
Old 11-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Frank, refill the bottle with tap water, they won't know the difference. Don't let paw paw get pushed around!
Yea well this one is now 2 and she runs the place
Old 11-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That's exactly what my Daughter did for three kids. Bottles got refilled from the tap and re-used until lost or someone poked a hole in it.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #17

Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered another maleness bottle and carrier. Usually carry my own tap water, for exercise during the summer. I buy one case of bottles on the road and it lasts all summer, even end up bringing some home.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Spoil 'er too much and before you know it her horns will be scraping the ceiling! Actually perfect candidate for giving any kind of water to, lol, she definitely won't tell the difference! I can't, and I have the nose of a bloodhound. Kind of a curse actually. I was a very picky eater when I was a kid because everything smelled and tasted so strong.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Pollution aside I never figured out why so many are willing to pay over a $1.00 a gallon (Nestle sells for $1.37/gallon in 5 gallon jugs) when for the same price you can usually get 1,000 gallons of good water from your tap.

Don't like the chlorine taste, put a filter on either water line or tap itself. Those filters are often rated to filter 10,000 gallons or more. Using a $35 KW-1 filter element (which has a 10,000 gallon life) as an example, that means the cost of water out of the filter only goes up $0.0037 cents per gallon.

In 2012 the bottled water industry made $11.8 billion off the public by charging 2,000 times more than what tap water costs and where most of the bottlers get their water to begin with. And we thought that the Government was the only one that knew how to give us the shaft

Old 11-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

It's a weird phenomenon started by the Seinfeld show, where everyone walked around drinking bottled water. The tap water in NYC was weird I'll admit. I visited my sister in the Bronx when before that show started, and the tap water was cloudy and smelled like YMCA pool water. It was PROBABLY just air mixed in. And I learned that even chlorinated water you can pour and let sit and the chlorine dissipates.

Tags
tank, water