Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Media Camping Center property sold

The for sale sign in front of the Media Camping Center on Baltimore Pike in Delaware County now has a sold sign on it.

I have no other information.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

I remember that place when I was a kid back in the 60's it looked rough even back then but they must have been doing something right to last this long
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I remember that place when I was a kid back in the 60's it looked rough even back then but they must have been doing something right to last this long

They had a good business model for them. Apparently very honest and excellent mechanics. Kept their expenses to a minimum. I was told by several sources that they made $millions there but hard to see.

Probably bought the land when it was not in demand unlike today. I don’t think they made any physical improvements in 20 plus years.

I don’t know how many times I wanted to go there for service but chickened out. I didn’t want the bums or druggies messing with my vehicle. I don’t have any first hand knowledge of that but have heard enough stories to believe it.

Good family. I wish them well.

I have noticed more of a turnover of their front line motorhomes in this past year. All used, nothing new there.

There might be a parts bonanza for those with older trailers and motorhomes. Probably some really good deals for hunting “cabins.”

Old 04-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #4

I think you hi the nail on the head, I did hear they did great work there but the repair shop looked like a junk yard for sure. I went there looking for my first camper the salesman showed me 2 used units they had and when I went to ask him a question he was walking across the yard to a couple looking at motorhomes, I guess he did not need MY business. I left and ended up at Stoltzfus in West Chester where I bought a truck and 5th wheel instead, I guess that salesman at Stoltzfus was a better one. I also remember the Coachman dealer that was in Media, I believe that was Jim Hess that owned there.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Looks like Campers Inn bought them
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Looks like Campers Inn bought them
Campers Inn bought the location on Rt. 309 a few years ago.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
I think you hi the nail on the head, I did hear they did great work there but the repair shop looked like a junk yard for sure. I went there looking for my first camper the salesman showed me 2 used units they had and when I went to ask him a question he was walking across the yard to a couple looking at motorhomes, I guess he did not need MY business. I left and ended up at Stoltzfus in West Chester where I bought a truck and 5th wheel instead, I guess that salesman at Stoltzfus was a better one. I also remember the Coachman dealer that was in Media, I believe that was Jim Hess that owned there.
I went there a few times to buy but didn’t. Salesman handed me the keys to a small Winnie and told me to take a ride. I liked it but it was my first time driving a motorhome and knew nothing. The noise from the door or the screen banging turned me off. It was outrageous. went back and told him about it and got a shoulder shrug as a response.

They had a nice looking winnie tour on their lot for over a year. I asked about it but the salesman walked away.

I went there last year to get a state inspection. There was another motorhome blocking the driveway by the service building. I waited a half hour, walked around the area and never saw anyone. I left.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #8

That area is soo traffic congested. I don't think anyone could move around especially pulling a TT or 5er. Also the property taxes has risen soo high and ther are no improvement in traffic patterns in the near future that a lot of businesses on that route are leaving. Stoltfus may be leaving/moving in the future if things don't improve in their location with traffic.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
That area is soo traffic congested. I don't think anyone could move around especially pulling a TT or 5er. Also the property taxes has risen soo high and ther are no improvement in traffic patterns in the near future that a lot of businesses on that route are leaving. Stoltfus may be leaving/moving in the future if things don't improve in their location with traffic.
I live in the same town, a few miles from Media Camping. Traffic is heavy at times but one can still drive an RV on the roads. There are plans being implemented to alleviate traffic at tremendous cost. My opinion is that these decades old plans will not help as current traffic patterns have changed.

Taxes in this town are still reasonable when compared to surrounding towns but the new county administration is planning an increase in government size.

There has been much building of apartments and retail spots and much more on the way. All that will make your statement more accurate.

The original asking price for that parcel was $10 Million which seemed extremely high a few years ago.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #10

If you want to talk about traffic and poor road designs take a good look at the Blue Route, the folks in Swathmore held it up the longest and the settlement was to only build it 2 lanes and then when it finally opened who was the first to complain about the traffic back ups. I do believe the bridges were built to expand the road later but that has yet to happen. Anyway back to Media Camping the price I am sure is what the area brings now and lets hope that the Wawa dairy never moves or closes.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
If you want to talk about traffic and poor road designs take a good look at the Blue Route, the folks in Swathmore held it up the longest and the settlement was to only build it 2 lanes and then when it finally opened who was the first to complain about the traffic back ups. I do believe the bridges were built to expand the road later but that has yet to happen. Anyway back to Media Camping the price I am sure is what the area brings now and lets hope that the Wawa dairy never moves or closes.
I have been told but have not verified that there are lots of old broken Coleman air conditioners buried on that property along with other environmental polluting products. The new owners will probably have to do a deep cleaning.

You are totally correct about the Blue Route (I476). Now we have many miles of bumper to bumper traffic crawling along, spewing pollutants into the elite pristine Swarthmore air.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #12

I never even thought about what junk could be still there!!!!

I used to travel the blue route twice a day from Newark De when I drove tractor trailer for UPS to get to Willow Grove, once around 3:00 in the afternoon then again around 10pm with a set of doubles and sometimes even had to do a third trip. Hated it around any holiday and once the Friday of Memorial weekend the back up started at the mid-town toll booth all the way to I-95, I believe that is around 18 miles, glad I was paid by the hour and not by the mile
Old 04-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
I never even thought about what junk could be still there!!!!

I used to travel the blue route twice a day from Newark De when I drove tractor trailer for UPS to get to Willow Grove, once around 3:00 in the afternoon then again around 10pm with a set of doubles and sometimes even had to do a third trip. Hated it around any holiday and once the Friday of Memorial weekend the back up started at the mid-town toll booth all the way to I-95, I believe that is around 18 miles, glad I was paid by the hour and not by the mile
Any Friday afternoon southbound was terrible.

Tags
camping, sold