Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

medical emergency

I live in Florida close to a large RV park, we are RV folks as well. Looking for your thoughts on this example. Lets say that Mom and Pop travel from up north in the RV setting up camp in Florida. One becomes sick or God forbid dies while here, the surviving spouse for whatever reason does not wish to drive the RV home. I was thinking about providing a transportation service to get the RV back to their home. I would do it for my expenses, not looking to make money just wanting to help. Any thoughts?
Bunion Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
How do you advertise? Funeral Homes? 65 plus newspapers?

Some medical assist companies offer this service as part of a Insurance plan.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #3

If they have travel assist with good Sam's it is taken care of. I think like B&B how would you do It? I guess you could leave a card at CG, but that seems morbid to me, what are your thoughts on it, would be interesting.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

I have a friend that works at the resort, so just a work of mouth thing.
Bunion Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

I do applaud you for doing it for expense only, the reason I got it from Good Sam's is so my wife wouldn't have to worry.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

This is the reason I have Good Sam Travel Assist. DW won't even drive my truck without the trailer.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunion Rubber View Post
I have a friend that works at the resort, so just a work of mouth thing.
Well that will work, but what about other resorts? I still appauld your kindness.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

To cover yourself you would want insurance and to be a registered business, maybe LLC. All said and done you will be a transporter company with costs. Doing it for free would cost you.
I see your kind gesture but there's to much risk, especially with dealing with people already emotional right out the gate.
Best luck with your endeavor.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunion Rubber View Post
I would do it for my expenses, not looking to make money just wanting to help. Any thoughts?
I think you may wind up with some heavy costs with fuel and should your insurance find out that could get crazy there with liability.

Good thought...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #10

You should check the laws about taking any compensation even expenses. I know in aviation you cannot even take reimbursement for expenses without a commercial pilots license. I believe you would be required to have a DOT certification and a commercial drivers' license to take any compensation at all.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #11
Berkshire 390QS

FMCA if your a member will take care of getting your motorhome back home, well worth the yearly membership for piece of mind. Look into FMCA member benefits. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
FMCA if your a member will take care of getting your motorhome back home, well worth the yearly membership for piece of mind. Look into FMCA member benefits. Skip
What is FMCA? Can anyone no matter if it is a a pod or class A belong, Sorry I don't think I have heard of it.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
What is FMCA? Can anyone no matter if it is a a pod or class A belong, Sorry I don't think I have heard of it.
Family Motor Coach Association
https://www.fmca.com/
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #14

As honorable as your plan is, you need to register as a business.
As a commercial transporter you need, as already been mentioned a CDL, proper insurance, stop at all weigh scales (take on the responsibility for a log book, weights and cargo), have the proper documentation, file tax returns, what about the fridge full of booze or ..... you will be transporting across state borders as commercial transporter and the list goes on.
Technically you couldn't even accept a meal voucher, it would be considered payment.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
All very good points! Lots to think about for the OP. A Nice non nasty thread! I too applaud the OP for having a heart to help his fellow camper/RVer!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
As honorable as your plan is, you need to register as a business.
As a commercial transporter you need, as already been mentioned a CDL, proper insurance, stop at all weigh scales (take on the responsibility for a log book, weights and cargo), have the proper documentation, file tax returns, what about the fridge full of booze or ..... you will be transporting across state borders as commercial transporter and the list goes on.
Technically you couldn't even accept a meal voucher, it would be considered payment.
Also a DOT physical. Not sure about the booze. That may be ok but I am not sure. Also, how about firearms, drugs or possibly a stolen vehicle? You have no idea what might be in one of those RVs if someone dies suddenly and has no chance to get it cleaned out.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Neat idea but i agree you would need some things such as being in business, us dot#, possibly cdl if rv is over your weight class on your license, medical card if over 10k and crossing state lines. No alcohol can be in the unit. Firearms are fine if you are not prohibited from having them in the first place and the state does not have any whacky laws.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Neat idea but i agree you would need some things such as being in business, us dot#, possibly cdl if rv is over your weight class on your license, medical card if over 10k and crossing state lines. No alcohol can be in the unit. Firearms are fine if you are not prohibited from having them in the first place and the state does not have any whacky laws.
I think you may have missed it on the firearms. Many states prohibit concealed carry and a firearm concealed in a vehicle would be considered a concealed firearm - only 8 states allow concealed carry without a permit. Many states require you to inform an officer when you are stopped if you have a firearm in the vehicle. You probably would not know if there is one in the vehicle. I would not want to get caught in New York, DC or Maryland to name a few with a firearm.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

They can be in a vehicle unloaded. They are only concealed if either loaded or ammo is readily available for insertion into the firearm. However you would be correct, in the wrong town you may have an issue.

Edit. My firearm remarks were really about having them in a commercial vehicle. People think this is illegal but it is not. Not about anything concealed carry, simply a response to the booze, drugs and guns comment. My assumption would be it meant someone else's drugs guns and booze were they would hopefully be secured since they were not the op's.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
They can be in a vehicle unloaded. They are only concealed if either loaded or ammo is readily available for insertion into the firearm. However you would be correct, in the wrong town you may have an issue.
Not in all states it is as simple as vehicle unloaded. Federal Firearms Interstate Transport Law requires the firearm be unloaded and locked out of reach. That means it must be locked in a compartment that cannot be accessed easily. If you do not have a trunk it must be unloaded and locked in a container. An unloaded gun stuck between the mattress of a motorhome may land you in the slammer for a while in some states.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation