Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Message to join PPA

I was interested, but when I looked at the available campgrounds, it seems to be the same as GS. Am I correct? Anybody belong to both?
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Professional Photographers Association?
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

a campground or rv park can easily be members of both, if not MANY, different camping 'clubs', 'memberships', or discount type opportunities - including AARP, etc.

PPA(PassportAmerica), though, is not just a 50% discount(though, that's a great deal, right!), it is a way for campground and rv park owners to attract customers to not only enjoy their facilities, but to help 'fill in' the chinks of unused vacant sites, giving us RVrs a good opportunity to save money over the 'normal' rate.

GS is only a simple 10% discount, hardly worth mentioning, unless you have the membership and you just 'happen' to be using the same rv park or campground.

PPA also gives their owners the ability to impose any and all limits they wish - such as days of the week the discount can apply, how many consecutive days of stay it will apply, what 'type' of site it can apply to(back-in only, or 30amp only, etc), whether you must make an advanced reservation, or whether you must only 'show up' to be able to use the discount, if vacant sites are available. Some even limit their discount to seasons during the year, whether it can be used on any weekend stays, etc., etc. Each owner will have their restrictions, if any, on the PPA website, or app.

We've found that, like with any and all campgrounds and rv parks, a PPA member park can run the gamut from very, very High-end resort like, to a more 'local' park full of full-time families, looking less like an rv park than you might expect.
Don't look at the terms of 'Campground', 'RV Park', or 'RV Resort' to mean anything specifically - as any owner can attach ANY name to their business, whether it is actually what the public might think it is, or NOT. We've seen 'resorts' mean nothing more than any other basic campground. We've see 'basic' rv parks to be RESORT like than many resorts! Don't let the name sway you, check out the details.

Yes, PPA is a great deal IF you are traveling a lot, and IF you tend to use it versus other places you 'might' have stayed. You may find that some of the parks have less 'amenities' than you might expect, and you may also find that some are very, very relaxed and enjoyable, without all of the 'hub bub' of children's activities...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

FROG and Passport America
Team Up for a New Benefit with
Extended Membership for FROGs
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
FROG and Passport America
Team Up for a New Benefit with
Extended Membership for FROGs
Was there to be more to the story?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

We belong to both and both have easily paid for themselves. Typically 2-3 nights will pay for PPA and 5-6 nights will pay for GS. The GS deal where you pay $50 for two yrs and get a $25 gift cert for Camping World seems like a decent deal.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Site Team

We love Passport America. AAA gets us the same 10% discount as GS and we don't shop at CW. Amazon is much cheaper.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Passport America and FROG Offer

I received my email from FROG today about the $44 deal. It is a good deal to try it out.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Was there to be more to the story?
It was an email sent out by FROG about a "partnership" with Passport America. It's really just an affiliate link to make FROG money (they get commissions from Passport America).

The OP is asking if Passport America is "worth it" since they already have Good Sam.

For SQROOT, here's my take on it and other memberships:
https://learntorv.com/various-member...and-fulltimer/
Old 07-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

PPA

Look @ where you are going and when before joining PPA. It is more restrictive on when they have openings. I have both GS-10% off, there are more of these than any other discount card. PPA is more available in mid-America and north of TX. in our experience
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

PPA

These seem to be more off the beaten path than GS sites. Some camps have both. So far, those w/ both we have been able to use the PPA. We usually book at least a month in advance. Anyone had a difference experience?
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #12

Had it until last month, only able to use it once! No more.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
FR3 Grampy

PPA is great

I have both...PPA and GS and I used them all the time. PPA has made me discover many campgrounds which i would normally never have found. By checking out who has PPA i make my travel route to get to these campsites. It's fun and inexpensive.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #14

We also have both PPA and GS. One thing I have noticed is that some PPA parks demand cash; no credit cards, so beware and be prepared.
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmarm View Post
I have both...PPA and GS and I used them all the time. PPA has made me discover many campgrounds which i would normally never have found. By checking out who has PPA i make my travel route to get to these campsites. It's fun and inexpensive.
thats our experiences, too
you find places and experiences maybe not on the ‘radar’ of most planning, otherwise...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote