Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
This is definitely part of the problem, and an attitude I donít understand.
Why is some one who has lights on or using a fireplace a problem or have an attitude? Propane causes windows to sweat. Lights on, maybe they need lighting to see. Maybe they have a hard time seeing at night.

frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltate View Post
I just found out that Florida state parks are now charging $7.00 per night utility fee for those who have electric at the site. Tent campers are excluded from the fee.
please give me a website that says this...

EDIT:

ok I found it

https://www.floridarambler.com/flori...-reservations/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #63

Quote:
15 nights, $46 charge. $0.18/Kwh.
Love the complaints about an extra $3.06/day.

Just pick a different campground and avoid this massive charge. I avoid campgrounds with "seasonal" sites as in my experience they tend to be fairly run down and crowded. I'm sure there are nicer ones but I've not seen them.

-- Chuck
Old 08-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #64
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Love the complaints about an extra $3.06/day.

Just pick a different campground and avoid this massive charge. I avoid campgrounds with "seasonal" sites as in my experience they tend to be fairly run down and crowded. I'm sure there are nicer ones but I've not seen them.

-- Chuck
I didn't see anyone complaining about that, it's the principal of charging a rate that includes full hookups (including electricity), then being charged a metered rate ON TOP of that. He only stayed 2 weeks.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #65

I know this thread is a little older, but I thought that I would respond since I run in to it yearly.

The RV park we winter at in Florida does that. However, the price is reduced based on the length of the stay. Full week is less than daily, monthly is less than weekly and yearly is a lot less than monthly. Friends stay at an RV park further south in Ruskin, and they also charge in that manner.
MrMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagicMan View Post
I know this thread is a little older, but I thought that I would respond since I run in to it yearly.
It's only a week old.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #67

RV parks are not supposed to sell the electricity at a profit. That would make them a utilities provider, and subject to a whole host of regulations. I know of a park in Texas that got in trouble for up charging the cost of electricity and was ordered to refund the overcharges. (They only charged month to month people).

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I didn't see anyone complaining about that, it's the principal of charging a rate that includes full hookups (including electricity), then being charged a metered rate ON TOP of that. He only stayed 2 weeks.
The site says the rates are starting rates. Full hook ups available. Then they say, below the rates, 7th day half price and electric is metered for 7 days and longer. They are not hiding anything. The op just did not read past the price, which RIGHT below it says Starting At. Each rate is done this way. I would have asked "what do you mean starting at". They also charge extra for more people...Starting rate is for two and one vehicle. ALL parks do this. Electric is getting more and more hard to produce enough, with everything, including cars, using electricity, so the price is going up everywhere.

The rates are not that much, just enough so the park doesn't have to eat so much of the cost....just keep rv'ing and
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
RV parks are not supposed to sell the electricity at a profit. That would make them a utilities provider, and subject to a whole host of regulations. I know of a park in Texas that got in trouble for up charging the cost of electricity and was ordered to refund the overcharges. (They only charged month to month people).

I donít think any campground is selling, there charging you what there provider is charging them.
More I think about it the more it makes sense.
With the e bikes, phones, laptops, tablets, wireless speakers, flashlights and now RVs with 3 air conditioners and electric tankless hot water heaters the electric bills are going to be 3-4 times what they were 10 years ago.
The meter keeps the site cost down and you have a choice to conserve energy to keep your cost down.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #70
Site Team

On my last electric bill for my seasonal site it says I'm being charged 18 cents per kwh.

That seems really high to me. Although I haven't figured out how to find the actual rate the CG is being charged from their provider.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #71

10 years ago owned a houseboat where the dock charged for metered electric, but tacked on a $15/month "meter reading fee"...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I donít think any campground is selling, there charging you what there provider is charging them.
More I think about it the more it makes sense.
With the e bikes, phones, laptops, tablets, wireless speakers, flashlights and now RVs with 3 air conditioners and electric tankless hot water heaters the electric bills are going to be 3-4 times what they were 10 years ago.
The meter keeps the site cost down and you have a choice to conserve energy to keep your cost down.
That's what I'm saying. They can pass on the charge at the rate they pay, but are not allowed to profit from it. It's really a simple situation, If you don't like their charging for electricity, don't go there. There are plenty of places that don't. They do it because they can.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:13 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
They do it because they can.
...or must.

Bruce
Old 08-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
On my last electric bill for my seasonal site it says I'm being charged 18 cents per kwh.
The rate on my last electric bill at my seasonal site was 0.105690 per kWh.

Bruce
Old 08-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #75
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
10 years ago owned a houseboat where the dock charged for metered electric, but tacked on a $15/month "meter reading fee"...
That, or they can slap-on a maintenance fee to cover upkeep of their panels and pedestals.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #76
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
That, or they can slap-on a maintenance fee to cover upkeep of their panels and pedestals.
Or just build it into nightly/weekly price. The reason I find this tacking on fees thing so disagreeable, is sometimes you don't know your actual total cost, making it difficult to comparison shop (not that I really do when it comes to RV parks, I stay where I want). I think over the years I have just grown weary of never-ending fees, surcharges and crap. Started in airline industry, then hotels with their 'resort fees' and parking fees. Seems like us Americans have a never ending appetite for eating doodoo. The more tacked on charges, the more we shrug and go 'oh-well'. Will it be OK for you (not you specifically DW) if restaurants start tacking on a 'dish washing fee' or some other nonsense? I'm about 'fee'd up!'
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I would have hoped that any maintenance fees would be covered by the $350/month ( $10 per foot of dock length) dock fee that went up about 10% a year for the 8 years I was there... but any way to add-on a few bucks a month would work for them I'm sure.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #78
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Or just build it into nightly/weekly price. The reason I find this tacking on fees thing so disagreeable, is sometimes you don't know your actual total cost, making it difficult to comparison shop (not that I really do when it comes to RV parks, I stay where I want). I think over the years I have just grown weary of never-ending fees, surcharges and crap. Started in airline industry, then hotels with their 'resort fees' and parking fees. Seems like us Americans have a never ending appetite for eating doodoo. The more tacked on charges, the more we shrug and go 'oh-well'. Will it be OK for you (not you specifically DW) if restaurants start tacking on a 'dish washing fee' or some other nonsense? I'm about 'fee'd up!'
Kris, I hear ya! We use to do winter vacations in Vegas and Hawaii. They started killing us with the resort fees and parking fees. We don't play their game anymore.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I would have hoped that any maintenance fees would be covered by the $350/month ( $10 per foot of dock length) dock fee that went up about 10% a year for the 8 years I was there... but any way to add-on a few bucks a month would work for them I'm sure.
I don't think that the comment that you are responding to was encouraging those kinds of fees, I read it more as saying "There's other ways they can get you, if they want to...."

Basically, that since a campground usually isn't allowed to "mark up" electricity that they charge you for, they can always come up with BS fees that accomplish the same thing.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I don't think that the comment that you are responding to was encouraging those kinds of fees, I read it more as saying "There's other ways they can get you, if they want to...."

Basically, that since a campground usually isn't allowed to "mark up" electricity that they charge you for, they can always come up with BS fees that accomplish the same thing.
see my post #71... I already paid a $15/month FLAT meter reading fee ON TOP of the electric rate I used... no electric markup just an added fee ON TOP of my monthly rental fee. If they needed to add on for upkeep and maintenance of the electric panel ( post #75) then I would hope they would just increase the monthly rental fee as the electric access was part of the deal on that part of the dock for houseboats. Yearly increase on dockage averaged about 10% increase each year as dock space became more scarce... they eventually priced themselves out of my price range and that was in the 2000's... THEN I started RV'ing.

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
electric