Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #41
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Drive through any R/V park with a lot of long term R/Vers and you'll see large tents set up next to their R/Vs with additional lights, tvs, fans and everything I mentioned above.
If they could get away with the noise, I imagine these same people would fire up a snow making machine for their kids so they can sled in July!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #42
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
You don't think the pandemic-related increase in camping will decrease over the next couple of years?
I believe the only way that happens is if the entire economy flat-lines and we go into hyper inflation with interest rates increasing. Otherwise, it will be business as usual. A month ago THOR Industries reported $14 billion in backorders. On this forum alone, there are a couple hundred folks waiting for their RV's to be built and delivered.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #43

I have been at a couple. I was told ahead of time that they charge over a certain amount of KW usage and to log the start on the meter when I plugged in. So far I have not gone over, so no extra charge
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #44
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
If they could get away with the noise, I imagine these same people would fire up a snow making machine for their kids so they can sled in July!
Here in Alaska, the state limits the amount of time you can occupy a campsite at a State Park. Depending on the park, stays are limited from 4 to 15 days. It prevents "homesteading".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Seems you saved $55 and were charged $46.
Yes, I forgot about the 2nd day discount because we were over 14 days. However, that only worked out because it was a very mild week (60s/70s) that didn't require much AC or heat. If we had stayed 13 days in hot weather it would have been a different story. I think my concern is more with the lack of communication about the policy change than anything. This is the kind of thing I think should have been mentioned at check-in, especially since we're repeat customers and this is new.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
You don't think the pandemic-related increase in camping will decrease over the next couple of years?
I really don't considering that I've been watching the growth over the las couple decades.

Those who started RV'ing because of the pandemic, and then cut back as it wanes, will be replaced by those who retire. Retirement is a "growth industry" with all the baby boomers "aging out".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #47

Not a surprise. I haven’t paid for electric on a 1 night to 2 week stay but all my monthly stays do. My Florida site this year is $1495 a month plus electric which was $120 to $160 last year and now they have a $15 flat water monthly charge with no vehicle washing. I’m figuring $1675 each of the 4 months I’m there. In the summer rates drop like a rock as no one wants south Florida heat but winter there’s a 3 month minimum stay and that May rise to 4 month minimum as they are full and have a long waiting list. You get a site by length of time and number of winters at the CG. Miss a year and your seniority starts again. We sign up for the following year in January when we arrive. They get the 1st month rent then and December through April is non refundable. Not going to sneak out with as upon arrival you pay for the next to months and month 2 you pay the remainder.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #48

I would imagine this will become the norm as electrical use at CG’s is probably only going to increase as people start rolling up in their all-electric F-150’s and then want to charge them
TBeri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #49
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The difference in an RV Campground and Hotel is that the Hotel has already factored into their rates the cost of providing A/C and Heat.

In an RV Campground people can be running a couple A/C units all day during hot periods or portable heaters (instead of their own furnaces) during cold weather.

Most every place I have stayed has a lower weekly rate and this is probably their way to give long term guests a break--------right up until they use a lot of electricity. I stayed 6 months in a RV park while waiting for a house to be built. They "allowed" up to $30 per month in electrical use and billed for any overage.

Based on what it costs me to A/C my house and cook using electricity, it sounds like the OP uses a lot "juice" for an RV that's probably 1/4th (or less) than the square footage of my house. My bill for last month with up to 110 degree temps was around $50 for the same number of days.

Surprised you even have A/C up there in the PNW, but glad you did with that extreme heat.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #50

My Favorite Site Does

There is a Camping Resort about 45 mins from the house that we frequent. Each site has a meter and they charge you for the electricity used. I think the last time we stayed there for 3 days and the electric bill was like $2.50. Not enough for me to get concerned.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #51

Send a message via MSN to Denver Dan
A couple of months ago I stayed at the Taos Valley RV Park in Taos, NM for three nights. Upon departing my credit card was charged $13.22 for my electric usage. They apparently charge for electricity even if you only stay one night.

To be fair, their website states "All Pricing is Plus Metered Electricity"; it just didn't sink in with me when I booked the site.
Denver Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
Just got back from a 2 week stay at one of our usual campgrounds. Paid $55/night for full hookup sites, as usual (described on their site as "includes Electric, Water, Sewer, and Basic Wi-Fi). The campground just called and billed us for metered electric. Their new policy is any stay over 7 days gets charged an extra fee for metered electric. (I found it mentioned as a footnote in their site.) Now, I wouldn't mind paying a reduced rate for the full hookup site and *then* paying for metered electricity but I don't think we should pay full price for the site PLUS metered electricity. Has anyone else come across a policy like this? First time I've seen it in 22 years of camping.

I just looked at their site. It's will spelled out. You just missed it..... Their prices are out of line. I would not stay there.... Most places I've been to, meter electric monthly.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
Surprised you even have A/C up there in the PNW, but glad you did with that extreme heat.
I live around 200 miles straight south of TitanMike, and we are forecast to be 99 on Wednesday, 103 on Thursday, and 102 on Friday.

I feel for those who *don't* have A/C when it gets like this.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
But where do you go when eventually this becomes the norm?

Whether we like it or not, times are changjng.

Like the OP pointed out, it was in the fine print. How many take the time to read that part before signing. It kind of boils diwn to "if you dont read it don't be surprised".
It was not fine print. It was plain as day. And all process are listed as starting, so the process go up for some reason not listed.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #55

Florida's new charges

I just found out that Florida state parks are now charging $7.00 per night utility fee for those who have electric at the site. Tent campers are excluded from the fee.
bltate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 AM   #56

We enjoyed 7 days at a campground in NY . The owners were very nice and helpful. They told us about installing meters at the large sites due to large Class A’s and 5th wheels with electric heat.
He told us a story of this couple with a large class A that had everything on one night, he said the place was lighting up the campground. He stopped bye to speak with the owner and was invited in. He noticed all the air conditioners were on and the electric fire place was blowing heat, every light was on . That’s when they decided to add meters to all large sites.
Our electric cost is $12 for the 7 days, not a big deal.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
Just got back from a 2 week stay at one of our usual campgrounds. Paid $55/night for full hookup sites, as usual (described on their site as "includes Electric, Water, Sewer, and Basic Wi-Fi). The campground just called and billed us for metered electric. Their new policy is any stay over 7 days gets charged an extra fee for metered electric. (I found it mentioned as a footnote in their site.) Now, I wouldn't mind paying a reduced rate for the full hookup site and *then* paying for metered electricity but I don't think we should pay full price for the site PLUS metered electricity. Has anyone else come across a policy like this? First time I've seen it in 22 years of camping.
I've never seen it on a daily or weekly rate, it's normally on a monthly rate. Was it stated on your bill, if not, don't pay it. They are probably trying to make up for the excessive A/C use.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
We enjoyed 7 days at a campground in NY . The owners were very nice and helpful. They told us about installing meters at the large sites due to large Class A’s and 5th wheels with electric heat.
He told us a story of this couple with a large class A that had everything on one night, he said the place was lighting up the campground. He stopped bye to speak with the owner and was invited in. He noticed all the air conditioners were on and the electric fire place was blowing heat, every light was on . That’s when they decided to add meters to all large sites.
Our electric cost is $12 for the 7 days, not a big deal.
This is definitely part of the problem, and an attitude I don’t understand.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #59
Trailer Park Supervisor

There's always 'that guy'. Doing their part to ruin things for the rest of us. Same pig at an 'all you can eat' buffet that fills two plates to overflowing, then leaves more than half on table while going up for another helping.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
I've never seen it on a daily or weekly rate, it's normally on a monthly rate. Was it stated on your bill, if not, don't pay it. They are probably trying to make up for the excessive A/C use.

We were asked to take a picture of the meter reading before hooking up power and another picture when disconnected for our check out. They totaled the amount based on the rate on the power suppliers web site.

Tags
electric