Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #1

MH Door handle Won't Open Unlocked Exterior Door

We have a 2018 25' Coachmen Freelander Motorhome 21RS. NOTE: DOOR WILL OPEN FROM THE INSIDE. External MH entry door lock (not the dead bolt) won't open from the outside after turning lock to the right unlocked position. The outside door handle won't turn enough to open the door (the latch moves just a fraction, and then you have to push on the door and it clicks to close). I have tried lubing the knob and the key hole with silicon spray...and no luck. Would appreciate any suggestions; if it needs replacing, where would I go to purchase. Thanks for all your replies, Pat K
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #2

I'm just a little confused by this. You say its an opening problem but then say you have to push on the door and it clicks to closed? It might be that the operating mechanism inside the lock has worn to the poring it no longer will move the latch far enough to unlock the door. I would say replace the lock a quick duckduckgo search will bring up many options for RV locks good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #3

MH Door Handle Won't Open Unlocked Exteriopr Door

Sea Dog thanks for your reply. When the door is unlocked and you pull the handle to open, the door ONLY comes loose a little from the plate in the door, and to shut it, that little fraction of an inch, you have to push on the door so it goes back into the plate. I'm sure the whole mechanism will have to be replaced. By the way what is that little odd shaped button called that goes into the plate when the door closes (or opens).
Old 06-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #4

I don't know
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #5

Sounds like you may be experiencing what happened to us last week as we were returning from a 2 week trip, the door would not open from the inside or out, as if the deadbolt or the latch was stuck on the stricker plate. It would sound as if it was releasing and would move slightly, as you describe. Since this is not the first time this has happened to us, we knew immediately that the Trimark lock had failed. We ordered a new one from Amazon and had it installed by our regular RV repairman. This is a known problem with these door latches, luckily we now have a Class C so we could escape through the cab doors. We previously had and A and had to use the driver side window to escape.
Cendyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #6

Ben here, done this ...

This happened to us back in February on our 2018 Leprechaun while we were on our winter sojourn to Jekyll Island.

The latch bolt (the locking bolt that the handle moves) is made of the finest quality pot metal available. It has broken off neatly at the edge of the slot that the lever on the inside handle fits in. It cannot be fixed and even if you could find the part to fix it with, it would probably cost more to get it then it will cost to buy a new assembly.

You can buy a replacement door handle assembly on Amazon or find a selection at any RV dealer that you happen to pass. They apparently fail with distressing frequency.

They appear to come in two sizes. One for RV's with the door ahead of the front wheels (class As), and the other for RV's with the door behind the front wheels (class C's). The larger size generally seems to fit the class C's. I have no idea why the sizes are different or what difference it makes where the door is located. It will cost you anywhere between $50 and $300 depending on what you want to buy.

Do not take it to your dealer for installation. They will charge you an hour flat rate at a $159 an hour for a job that a monkey could do in 15 minutes for the cost of a banana. In all honesty, there is not much that I have even thought of doing on the RV that was easier than replacing this door handle. Just make sure you get the right sIze.

If you are thinking about getting one of the electric ones with the keypad and remote, you should be aware that the keypad or the remote only operate the deadbolt and not the bolt that is operated by the handle. If you are one of those people like me who double locks the door when they leave their RV, you'll still end up having to use the key, which for $260 would annoy the hell out of me.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

MH Door Handle Won't Open Unlocked Exteriopr Door

Thanks for all your responses.

Google: Trimark Repair Kit 060-1650

Scrool down to: RV Repair Locked Out of Your RV? Locked in Your...-You Tube
and watch the video.

my kit should arrive this week

Thanks,
Pat
Old 06-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #8

If you're having issues activating the spring latch from the outside, I'd strongly recommend you get some filament tape and tape the latch so it does not engage the striker plate. You could also fill in the cavity behind the striker plate where the latch engages to prevent it from keeping you out of the rig. Replace the latch mechanism asap.

My spring latch broke which made it impossible to open the door from either the inside or the outside. I was out of the rig and the DW was trapped inside when this happened. I was able to get into the rig after she opened the emergency exit window and, fortunately, was able to use my dremmel tool to grind away enough of the lock housing from the inside to get access to the latch and pull it clear of the striker plate. I locked it down so it was disengaged and we used only the deadbolt until I could get a replacement lock.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, exterior, lock