Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Angry Mice!

What's everyone doing to eliminate and keep mice out?
French381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 344
I find your storage spot contributes to how bad the nice are. My parents and I both store our RV's at the same lot. Thiers is on the outside of the lot next to a field. Mine is on the inside of the lot surrounded by gravel. There are several tempting options for the mice before they even get to my trailer. I have never had mice in either of my trailers. My parents check before each trip and fine some about half the time.

I do not cook inside nor store food in it. I crawled under both my trailers and made sure to find and seal any openings.

Not sure if it is a combo of things for me or just one thing. It's working do I keep doing it.
__________________
Hobienick

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Mopar Guy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 171
I use peppermint oil in 3 spots on the camper.
__________________
Dave
2019 Grey Wolf 24JS
2012 Chevy Suburban z71
reese strait-line
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 627
After more than 10 years of rv ownership we had evidence mice in our tt for the first time last year. The rvs have always been parked in the same spot beside the garage.

While we never leave food in the rv, we removed all spices, tea, etc when not traveling. I had my wife shine a flashlight from inside cabinets, etc. while i looked for and filled gaps with spray foam. We keep fresh cab in the rv when not traveling, and i spray around the camper with mouse deterrent.

So far, no more mice.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
I use peppermint oil in 3 spots on the camper.
Iím curious about the peppermint oil since it can be corrosive. Can you tell me how you use it? Thanks
PapaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
I find your storage spot contributes to how bad the nice are. My parents and I both store our RV's at the same lot. Thiers is on the outside of the lot next to a field. Mine is on the inside of the lot surrounded by gravel. There are several tempting options for the mice before they even get to my trailer. I have never had mice in either of my trailers. My parents check before each trip and fine some about half the time.

I do not cook inside nor store food in it. I crawled under both my trailers and made sure to find and seal any openings.

Not sure if it is a combo of things for me or just one thing. It's working do I keep doing it.

Thank you. I'm parked in my paved driveway but I also live in the country. That doesn't help. I do have to go thru and seal everything up. Hopefully they don't work their way thru my slides.
French381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
After more than 10 years of rv ownership we had evidence mice in our tt for the first time last year. The rvs have always been parked in the same spot beside the garage.

While we never leave food in the rv, we removed all spices, tea, etc when not traveling. I had my wife shine a flashlight from inside cabinets, etc. while i looked for and filled gaps with spray foam. We keep fresh cab in the rv when not traveling, and i spray around the camper with mouse deterrent.

So far, no more mice.
Thanks. What "mouse deterrent" do you use? "Fresh Cab" has worked well? How long does it work for before it has to be replaced?
French381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
I use peppermint oil in 3 spots on the camper.
Where and what kind of peppermint oil do you use? How long does it last before you have to reapply?
French381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by French381 View Post
Thanks. What "mouse deterrent" do you use? "Fresh Cab" has worked well? How long does it work for before it has to be replaced?
Iíve been using Tomcat rodent repellent around the outside of the camper. The fresh cab seems to work ok, it was highly recommended at Tractor Supply. I replace it ever other month or so.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Iíve been using Tomcat rodent repellent around the outside of the camper. The fresh cab seems to work ok, it was highly recommended at Tractor Supply. I replace it ever other month or so.
Thanks. Years ago I had the same problem and was never able to resolve it. Now, some 20 years later with a new camper, it's very frustrating having the same problem again. I'll look into the "Fresh Cab" though. Thanks gain.
French381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:50 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 627
The nice thing about fresh cab is the active ingredient is balsam fir oil, so the smell is not offensive unless you hate pine. We’ve tried moth balls in the past and the camper would smell like grandmas attic for a week after removing them.

Honestly though, the best thing to do is not to attract them in the first place. Remove food products and seal up any openings into the camper, and believe me, there are a lot!

Good luck!
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #12
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by French381 View Post
Where and what kind of peppermint oil do you use? How long does it last before you have to reapply?

Yes peppermint oil ( any essential oil) can damage surfaces. The best solution is to use an old coffee mug, or juice glass with a few cotton balls in it. Then add 5-8 drops of oil. You have to use pure essential oil ( not cooking or hobby oil). You will also need to refresh is every 4-5 weeks. it also seems to do a good job on some insects. Been using it for 12 yrs and no mice. Parked next to my garage that has mice.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
 
oxcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio Snow Belt
Posts: 878
Cab Fresh packets in closets, cabinets, and drawers.p Works great.
We use peppermint oil on peppermint tea bags when we close it up for the winter too.

Probably the best solution is CATS! We have a large inventory in our barn on hand for immediate shipment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twist July 2020.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	236694  
__________________
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2011 2500HD Silverado
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:28 AM   #14
Mopar Guy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Yes peppermint oil ( any essential oil) can damage surfaces. The best solution is to use an old coffee mug, or juice glass with a few cotton balls in it. Then add 5-8 drops of oil. You have to use pure essential oil ( not cooking or hobby oil). You will also need to refresh is every 4-5 weeks. it also seems to do a good job on some insects. Been using it for 12 yrs and no mice. Parked next to my garage that has mice.
I do exactly as flybob stated.

I also do it in all my classic cars. Coffee mug in the cupholder.
__________________
Dave
2019 Grey Wolf 24JS
2012 Chevy Suburban z71
reese strait-line
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.