Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 12:34 AM   #41

Had mice in our 5th wheel Crusader too. Spent a lot of time with the expanding foam and the spray can of car body undercoating to close up all the holes in the frame for slide rails etc. Also installed screen material to cover some that I could not use the foam on. Have been lucky and I stopped to mouse problem. Had to also use steel wool in the bottom corners of the slides in under the seals.
Grimshaw Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #42

Baking Soda

We're camping in so. Illinois and the host told us to use baking soda sprinkled under the sinks and drawers. Said the little critters can't belch or fart so when they groom themselves, they get a good dose of soda and leave for water. Said he hasn't had a problem since then!! Guess they blow themselves up!! Anyone else use it?
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw Traveller View Post
Had mice in our 5th wheel Crusader too. Spent a lot of time with the expanding foam and the spray can of car body undercoating to close up all the holes in the frame for slide rails etc. Also installed screen material to cover some that I could not use the foam on. Have been lucky and I stopped to mouse problem. Had to also use steel wool in the bottom corners of the slides in under the seals.
It's not luck,,, it is all your hard work paying off !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #44

Time to buy a cat.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #45

I'd still rather keep them out of the unit than let them in and use something that might work to chase them out. They are so messy and defecate wherever there manage to get to.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #46

We even tried Fresh Cab and it didn't work. Maybe we have some sort of super mouse on the farm!
frankrizzo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #47

Mice

Put mothballs out when not rv will keep them out
Rangerdrvr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #48

Had no luck with Bounce. The mice even dragged the poison blocks onto the Bounce sheets to eat them.

The last couple of years I pull the trailer onto ramps I built to get it higher in the air. I park it out in the open, and use 12 packets of Fresh Cab placed throughout the unit. Steel wool in possible entry areas. I store the trailer covered.

So far, so good!
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #49

The most important part I believe is not to have ANY trace of food in the camper.

That, and plug up any place they can get in---easier said than done in most rv's.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdrvr59 View Post
Put mothballs out when not rv will keep them out

The mice in Northern Michigan will nest right next to the Moth Balls !!!
And you will be smelling that crap for ever !!!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #51

I've used mouse traps this past year since they finally found our camper. They walk in and it slams closed and kills them. I load up the inside with peanut butter and they flock to it. Killed 3 in one night and a 4th the next day.

Haven't had any back since.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I've used mouse traps this past year since they finally found our camper. They walk in and it slams closed and kills them. I load up the inside with peanut butter and they flock to it. Killed 3 in one night and a 4th the next day.

Haven't had any back since.
My problem with that is that you are now attracting the mice into the trailer. As brewjaz posted, we clean all traces of food out FASTIDIOUSLY!!!
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscreekw View Post
My problem with that is that you are now attracting the mice into the trailer. As brewjaz posted, we clean all traces of food out FASTIDIOUSLY!!!
I sure don't see it that way,..... You don't set traps(of course baited w/peanut) unless you see/know that you ALREADY have mice INSIDE,..... and when you find that you have them inside, it stands to reason you will certainly look for where they entered from the outside and plug those points,..... the traps are to catch/kill the ones that are ALREADY INSIDE and if you have plugged all entrance points they will NOT continue to come inside,..... of course sometimes you may over look an entrance hole and if the killing doesn't soon come to an end, then its time to look again outside for that hole that you didn't plug,.......... very simple routine: see um, plug outside holes, set traps(w/peanut butter), empty trap, enjoy your tt,.......... happy trailering...............

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #54

Over winter we had a brief visitor. Found the poison traps we left out.

Spent a few minutes under the trailer this spring with some expanding foam you get from ACE/Menards/Lowes/HD. From the outside, sprayed around the plumbing holes. From the inside, sprayed around holes under each sink. Found a few spots that needed something.

No mice since.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #55

Instead of moving the actual cat into the trailer - how about some cat fur? We have 4 cats and believe me we have enough fur to put a bunch in the trailer. I'm not talking coating it, but maybe some small bits in corners and such.

Question on sealing stuff underneath either with steel wool, foam, or wire mesh - "what" typically are the areas that need to be sealed? Can someone summarize the "pipes" and stuff that are most frequently sealed off??

thanks!
LisaMarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #56

Cat Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie81 View Post
Instead of moving the actual cat into the trailer - how about some cat fur? We have 4 cats and believe me we have enough fur to put a bunch in the trailer. I'm not talking coating it, but maybe some small bits in corners and such.

Question on sealing stuff underneath either with steel wool, foam, or wire mesh - "what" typically are the areas that need to be sealed? Can someone summarize the "pipes" and stuff that are most frequently sealed off??

thanks!
Haven't heard of cat hair as a repellent, but we certainly have enough of it here in the house. Will empty our vacuum cleaner and put some under the sinks. I also think one other place to put steel wool is the entrance port for the electrical cord. The little critters can walk the cord from the ground like the rats do along a ships dock ropes.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie81 View Post

thanks!
Pretty much anywhere there are pipes or wires that run from outside to the inside,,, that varies from one unit to the next !!!
Most are probably in the Kitchen & Bath !!!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #58

A word of advise. When you fill the holes do it from the outside of the unit. Plugging the holes so they do not get into the living area leaves them in the tank compartments and they tend to like chewing on the wiring etc. Any hole in the frame needs to be plugged up so they do not enter the unit period.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #59
Canadian Member

What size steel wool is everybody using? All of a sudden this year, after storing trailers in the same place for over 10 years, we have a repeating mouse problem. Our TT has the black chloroplast underbelly cover. What are folks doing to seal it up?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #60

Size of Steel Wool

We used the smallest size we had available and it seems to be working. We stuck some in the entry port for our electrical cord, as well as underneath along the frame where the pipes are located that lead from the waste tanks up into the bathroom. This seems, to us the point of entry because we found pieces of foam that was used at the factory to seal the gaps. Good luck!

Tags
trailer