Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #1

Mice prevention

Just wondering what you all are doing to keep mice out of your rigs. I live in the country and have had some mice issues through the years. Just ordered a new RockWood and would really like to know how to keep them out. Does the enclosed underbelly help with critters getting in.
Thank you!!!
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

We use 8 glass salt shakers like the cheap 50 cent ones within and in the bays of the coach. Four cotton balls and a 1/4 tsp of peppermint oil in each. We use pipingrock they were the cheapest source..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Check this thread; http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-124181.html

I have been using peppermint oil, mothballs, Bounce dryer sheets, and Tom cat enclosed poison around the property. Thank God no problems, so far.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #4

x2

I have used mothballs in a sock zip tied to the motor on low use trucks for years. It smells but thats the point. Once had a mouse chew a vaccum line and fire wall insulation. Never another problem. Mice leave diesel engines alone as the fuel smell is always present.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Site Team

X2 on peppermint oil. BUT be sure to use essential oil of peppermint, not the food grade you find in food stores. Be careful no to get any on furniture or floors as it will damage the surface.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
X2 on peppermint oil. BUT be sure to use essential oil of peppermint, not the food grade you find in food stores. Be careful no to get any on furniture or floors as it will damage the surface.
Great point about the essential oil and not food grade.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #7

There is nothing you can do to stop rhodent invasions. there are things you can do to slow them down. Big box stores sell rhodent proof spray foam. steel wool or pieces of metal window screen followed by spray foam helps. From there on traps checked and replenished often is your best solution. Have tried other traps over the years, but so far I much prefer the sticky traps.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #8
Insert witty title here

I place Fresh Cap pouches all over the inside. I also leave my stabilizing jacks up to give the little darlings 4 less avenues to enter by.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #9

This winter is the first year I have used Fresh Cap in my motor home stored out in the country at a buddies house. Also, a good scattering of dryer sheets throughout the rig along with cut up Irish Spring soap bars. And for good measure 13 sticky traps through out. So far no mice evidence inside. Outside the rig I placed 7 old school type mouse traps inside the wheels with three critters caught so far. Re-set the traps and half are tripped but no mice, could've been the wind. Used half a box of moth balls around the generator in plastic bags with holes and the other half around the engine. Does my measures sound excessive? Perhaps, but I stored my rig at the same place winter before and a month after parking it, went to check it out and our bed was covered with mice poop. Added some traps inside and out and caught 3-4 mice. During spring shake down I turned the AC's on and Styrofoam insulation and mice turds came out of the AC ceiling vents. No more outside cover on the rig, it worked like a cargo net the Marines use to climb up to the roof of my rig. Now after all this you might ask "why the heck would I store my RV at the same place again?". The answer is my I helped my friend out when getting divorced and moving and he feels needs to do something to pay me back, of course he doesn't, and has gone out of his way to accommodate a parking spot for my motor home including leaving it plugged in so I didn't have to take the batteries out. I couldn't say no to him I'm not bringing it out for this winter. So I packed in it as much mice deterrent that I could come up with.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #10

For our pop up I used 2 packs of fresh cab, 2 glass cups with cotton ball dipped in peppermint oil and a whole pack of dryer sheets. I also put masking tap over every opening imaginable. 2 years no mice. The previous year was just dryer sheets and we ended up just buying a new pop up after seeing the damage done (to be fair it was 29 years old and at the end of its life anyway).
ctdarcys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Fresh Cab seems to be working for us.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #12

I keep our 5th wheel plugged in to keep the battery conditioning going with a small 110 load on consisting of a LED Desk lamp. I have also plugged in Electronic rodent control that I purchased at a big box store when they went on sale. I have two of them plugged inside, and a third one down in the basement compartment. Two seasons so far and no problems. I will reevaluate in the Spring.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #13

Thank you all for your comments. I for the first time have tried the Fresh cab this year. Placed them all over our exciting camper and put 2 in the AC filter. I also put 6 tack strips on floor. Checked it last week and not one sign of a mouse. Do need to note if camper is covered make sure you go in with a flash light, I stepped in a tack strip and my goodness is that stuff sticky, still working on getting that stuff off my shoes.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent