Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Minnesota to Texas Sept 2020 info needed

***This was posted in the On The Road - Central USA channel but did not get any responses. Reposting here for more visibility...***

Will be heading from Minnesota down to Corpus Christi, TX in September and was curious if anyone has stayed at our proposed campgrounds. We will be bringing our motorcycle and taking in local sites at each location.

On the way down, will be staying at The Creeks RV Resort in Cave Springs, AR for a few days. Then on to Green Lake RV Resort in San Antonio, TX for a few more days. Ending up at Padre Palms RV Park in Corpus Christi, TX for a few days.

On the way back up, will be staying at Twin Fountains RV Park in Oklahoma City, OK for a few days. Then on to Kansas City East / Oak Grove KOA Holiday in Oak Grove, MO for a few days. Before making the final leg back to Minnesota.

Thank you in advance for any comments on the campgrounds or suggestions on other places to stay.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:08 AM   #2

The only one on your list that we've stayed at was the Kansas City KOA and it was a typical KOA.

Just keep an eye on the weather. It'll be hurricane season in Corpus Christi and if you see one coming.... head inland.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #3

Reverse_snowbird,
Appreciate your response. KOA's do seem to be pretty consistent but have seen both ends of the spectrum over the years. Will be watching the weather for sure.
Thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
The only one on your list that we've stayed at was the Kansas City KOA and it was a typical KOA.

Just keep an eye on the weather. It'll be hurricane season in Corpus Christi and if you see one coming.... head inland.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Gold Tee Box

When will you be returning? If you have to winterize on the way up, that takes a little planning on your stops.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #5

Teetime,
Although October can be cold in MN. We should be home in time for our normal winterizing activities. But I will bring a few gallons of the pink stuff just in case.

Great call out...[emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
When will you be returning? If you have to winterize on the way up, that takes a little planning on your stops.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #6

Why Padre Palms in CC? Lived in Corpus in the 1980's. Not saying it's not a nice park but why not go a little further and drive on to Mustang Island and Port A. Several nice parks in Port A and on state highway 360 such as Pioneer RV Park on the beach side of 360. We have stayed there numerous times when visiting DW's brother in CC.

Just a thought. BTW we are x gopher state people. Moved to Texas 36 years ago.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #7

Vovodriver,
No reason at all for picking Padre Palms, DW was just looking as sites. Pioneer and Port A look like nice recommendations.

Really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Why Padre Palms in CC? Lived in Corpus in the 1980's. Not saying it's not a nice park but why not go a little further and drive on to Mustang Island and Port A. Several nice parks in Port A and on state highway 360 such as Pioneer RV Park on the beach side of 360. We have stayed there numerous times when visiting DW's brother in CC.

Just a thought. BTW we are x gopher state people. Moved to Texas 36 years ago.

Dave
Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Bandera Texas

If you're planning to ride your motorcycle, I highly recommend staying about an hour NW of San Antonio. Bandera is a mecca for bikers on weekends in the fall and you can take a ride into the hill country. You'll need to make reservations early since most RV parks stay full when the weather is nice (aka not so hot).

Check out this website for motorcycle rides: https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...5-336337a?s=92

Enjoy your trip.....and if you end up in or around Bandera, let me know.

kjsandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

Stops

Arkansas has many great state parks, Devils Den, Lake Ouicatia,and Buffalo River. Many that are very reasonable w/ good facilities. San Antonio also makes a nice stop for a day trip to see missions and River Walk. If you have time, going a little further South to north Padre is interesting. The beach there is on the Gulf Stream, a lot of interesting stuff washes up. They give you mesh sacks to pick-up litter. Last trip we filled the bed in truck in 2 hours, found 17 hard hats, 47 sandals, 10 lures and a 7-Up bottle in Japanese. Beach is not much for swimming.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
Vovodriver,
No reason at all for picking Padre Palms, DW was just looking as sites. Pioneer and Port A look like nice recommendations.

Really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks...
We are at Port A RV Resort right now. Wonderful park, close to everything in Port Aransas. Biggest sites we have seen here on the island. Pioneer is a nice park as well, but a couple of miles further away from town, with no restaurants in the immediate vicinity, and the sites are a little tight to get into, IMO.

If you will be returning to MN via I-35 out of Kansas City, Oak Grove KOA might be little too far east to conveniently catch I-35. Take a look at the campground at Watkins Woolen Mill State Park in Lawson, MO. We've stayed there and it is a beautiful park in the fall. https://mostateparks.com/park/watkins-mill-state-park

Finally, FROG has hosted rallies at Twin Fountains in OKC the last couple of years. I haven't been there myself, but have heard that the campground is first-class.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #11

Kjsandifer,
Need to see if we can move from SE of San Antonio to the NW. That ride looks fabulous. We traditionally bring the bike to see the cities we stay in via a different view than from the truck.

Thanks for the suggestion...[emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsandifer View Post
If you're planning to ride your motorcycle, I highly recommend staying about an hour NW of San Antonio. Bandera is a mecca for bikers on weekends in the fall and you can take a ride into the hill country. You'll need to make reservations early since most RV parks stay full when the weather is nice (aka not so hot).

Check out this website for motorcycle rides: https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...5-336337a?s=92

Enjoy your trip.....and if you end up in or around Bandera, let me know.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #12

Tundra,
DW already was talking about Devil's Den, River Walk and Padre. Will bring up the other suggestions.

Thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Arkansas has many great state parks, Devils Den, Lake Ouicatia,and Buffalo River. Many that are very reasonable w/ good facilities. San Antonio also makes a nice stop for a day trip to see missions and River Walk. If you have time, going a little further South to north Padre is interesting. The beach there is on the Gulf Stream, a lot of interesting stuff washes up. They give you mesh sacks to pick-up litter. Last trip we filled the bed in truck in 2 hours, found 17 hard hats, 47 sandals, 10 lures and a 7-Up bottle in Japanese. Beach is not much for swimming.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #13

Capt. Mike,
WOW, great info. I'm out with friends right now. Will have to look at comments closer tomorrow.

Thanks...[emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
We are at Port A RV Resort right now. Wonderful park, close to everything in Port Aransas. Biggest sites we have seen here on the island. Pioneer is a nice park as well, but a couple of miles further away from town, with no restaurants in the immediate vicinity, and the sites are a little tight to get into, IMO.

If you will be returning to MN via I-35 out of Kansas City, Oak Grove KOA might be little too far east to conveniently catch I-35. Take a look at the campground at Watkins Woolen Mill State Park in Lawson, MO. We've stayed there and it is a beautiful park in the fall. https://mostateparks.com/park/watkins-mill-state-park

Finally, FROG has hosted rallies at Twin Fountains in OKC the last couple of years. I haven't been there myself, but have heard that the campground is first-class.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
Capt. Mike,
WOW, great info. I'm out with friends right now. Will have to look at comments closer tomorrow.

Thanks...[emoji106]
Tundra 2014 said "If you have time, going a little further South to north Padre is interesting. The beach there is on the Gulf Stream, a lot of interesting stuff washes up." FYI, Mustang Island, where Port Aransas - and Port A RV Park - is located connects to North Padre Island via a little bridge. You can reach Port Aransas by ferry from Aransas Pass (yes, your RV will fit on the ferry), or you can drive across the JFK Bridge from Corpus Christi onto North Padre Island, then turn left and drive up Padre Island and Mustang Island to Port A RV Park.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #15

The Creeks RV Resort is where we stay when visiting friends in Rogers. It is all concrete with grass between sites, no trees and no issues. Resort may be a strong word to call it but it is a nice place to stay for awhile. It is part of a golf course that I play while there. The course is fun to play and challenging. The newly added part of the campground did flood late last year (not while we were there) and haven't been there this year. Here's one shot and don't know how recoup is going.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #16

Everyone,
Thank you for all the suggestions. Really have made the DW and myself feel better about the places we will be staying.

Have a great day...
Old 02-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #17

I recommend you slip over to highway 83. I 35 is horrible from Austin south of San Antonio due to traffic volume. You will see the Texas Hill Country as you drive good roads. Stop in Uvalde staying at Spanish Dagger Rv. Using it as a base for biking all around. For what it's worth. 83 and highway 90 cross in Uvalde. Then you can go by way of fm 140 to I-35 or I 37 on to the coast. The Gulf Stream is an Atlantic Ocean current.
texhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #18

Texhub,
Thank you for the recommendation to skip some traffic. Would rather drive further and have some nice scenery than be stuck in traffic. We will see if we can stay in Uvalde. Time is our crutch on this trip...

Thanks again for the suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texhub View Post
I recommend you slip over to highway 83. I 35 is horrible from Austin south of San Antonio due to traffic volume. You will see the Texas Hill Country as you drive good roads. Stop in Uvalde staying at Spanish Dagger Rv. Using it as a base for biking all around. For what it's worth. 83 and highway 90 cross in Uvalde. Then you can go by way of fm 140 to I-35 or I 37 on to the coast. The Gulf Stream is an Atlantic Ocean current.