Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geazer01 View Post
Had two batteries stolen and wiring destroyed while parked in a consignment lot on Naval Air Station Whidbey Island Seaplane Base. Navy will not reimburse.
Had my tuck broken into twice at NAS Whidbey, once on Seplane side in housing, and one outside the gym on main base.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Perhaps the recent burglary of my trailer and 10 others in the same storage facility has me a bit jaded... or perhaps it has just erased my naivety. In the same lot last year, I refilled both of my LP bottles. When I was out camping I noticed that one of the bottles was different. I pulled the cover and discovered that someone had swapped an older, empty bottle with one of my full ones. I needed it so I refilled it. A couple of weeks later, the older, now partially full bottle was swapped back with my newer, but now empty bottle. I complained to the management of the facility and the owner said they had discovered the problem and that trailer was gone. In a facility in Amarillo that had a live-on-site guard, my LP bottles were mysteriously much lighter on 2 occasions... with no trips after filling...

It is truly unfortunate that there are thieves among us... but there are. If you have the habit of putting the pins in a certain spot then I would assume that you did that. But then again, maybe I truly am a bit jaded by my past experiences. Things that I will absolutely need to be able to leave are secured. I don't leave any of my hitch stuff out, and my spare is locked.
I am pretty confident that I put it back in but, like Reddiver, I do sometimes find myself heading to a room in my house hoping that I remember why I was heading in there in the first place before I actually got there................

Marty
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #23

I bought a small chain in Home Depot and tie-wrapped in place. Not for theft, just so I don't misplace them.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I've always found that when I lose something and start looking for it I always find it in the last place I look! I'm not sure how I would know if it was my memory I was I looking for..
Isn't EVERYTHING we look for in the last place we look? I don't know anyone who keeps looking for something after they already found it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #25

Had a friend stop for lunch and some kids pulled the lock pin to the hitch. 10 miles later trailer came off. Always use a locking pin is the moral of the story
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #26
txkreddog

The closest we have come to being involved in a "theft" was when camping, my grandson 6, came up to me with a crank handle and said "Grandpa, look what I found!" We went back to where he "found" the crank and I let him return it to its owner. Both of us learned a lesson. Me to watch him, and him, if it ain't yours, leave it alone. Otherwise, no problems with theft so far.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #27

I use those hitch pins on my farm tractor implements. I have replaced dozens of them over the years. I AM CONVINCED THAT THEY DISSOLVE INTO NOTHING WHEN YOU ARE NOT LOOKING !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #28

lost pin on hitch

A bent piece of wire will do in an emergency.
RETIREDATLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
I use those hitch pins on my farm tractor implements. I have replaced dozens of them over the years. I AM CONVINCED THAT THEY DISSOLVE INTO NOTHING WHEN YOU ARE NOT LOOKING !
They're kind of like socks that disappear into the dryer somewhere!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #30

We were camping three years ago at an Alabama SP and three teenage boys were caught steeling from a campsite. The Rangers were called and the camper agreed to let the Ranger handle it instead of pressing charges. For the next several days the boys were cleaning up liter, fire pits, weed eating and painting around the park. I'm sure those boys got the message loud and clear.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #31

I learn so much from these posts. Now I will go buy some extra stuff to keep in storage.

I am good at forgetting where I put things, like my phone. I do find them later, like between two bowls when I was doing the dishes. Yup that phone never worked again.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
I learn so much from these posts. Now I will go buy some extra stuff to keep in storage.

I am good at forgetting where I put things, like my phone. I do find them later, like between two bowls when I was doing the dishes. Yup that phone never worked again.
After feverishly looking everywhere for my sunglasses, I asked DW if she had seen them. She said "Yes, there on top of your head."
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I feel your pain/loss,we have had "Thieves" take stuff from us at C/G hundreds of miles from Home,and when we return Home the "Thieves" have put the Stuff they took right where it is Stored! Youroo!!
One of the best replies ever.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #34

Thief

We have camped for many years. Packing up to leave campsite for the day....I put everything away EXCEPT a box of pink Kleenex. When we returned I was so upset that someone took the whole box of pink Kleenex and just left the empty box. Later that afternoon my DH called me to look up......There was the prettiest pink squirrels nest you would have ever seen
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

That's what I like about the hard cover tonneau cover I use while towing. You cannot lift the cover high enough to mess with the hitch latch which is also padlocked, you can't even unhook the break away cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver side.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	108049  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I feel your pain/loss,we have had "Thieves" take stuff from us at C/G hundreds of miles from Home,and when we return Home the "Thieves" have put the Stuff they took right where it is Stored! Youroo!!
Yep, happens at work too.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #37

We were boondocking in southern Utah a few weeks ago and someone actually came to our campsite and stole our firewood. Nothing else. Wow!
fishforfunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #38
Occasional campers

Missing things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
Knowing me that would be good suspicion especially as I get older. I could have simply taken it off and NOT put it right into the sway bar. I could have set it on my truck bumper like I did with that nice leatherman tool I used to have and those needle nosed pliars that suffered the same fate.

Either way, I am suspicious in both directions, theft and stupidity

Marty
I did that with the helper tool for the bars--left it on the bumper. Had to buy another one.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #39
Cyber Phrenologist

I have found cargo pants to be an excellent memory aid when assembling and disassembling all sorts of stuff around the campsite.

If you put it in your big pockets, it will still be there reminding you to properly put it away.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #40

Stolen, 20 year old Trek bicycle

After 6 years of seasonal camping at Steamboat Bend on the Ohio River we experienced our first loss this year, a 20 year old Trek bicycle that my DW rides.

The weird part is that the thief left a new Polaris off road bicycle right behind it. We keep both bikes under our fiver overhang to stay out of the weather and have never locked them up.

So now our bicycles, golf cart and power regulator are firmly locked up with bicycle anti-theft cables. While these cables can be defeated they deter the casual thief who is looking for easy pickings.

We get a lot of "drive through looky loo's" at our campground, especially on weekends but rarely after dark. In our case since it was so early in the season none of our neighbors were in residence so the bike presented an easy opportunity. A real shame that our world has come to this type of behavior, especially in a campground.