Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

more than 2 dogs in NY State Parks

Anyone ever take 3 dogs into NY State campgrounds? We are visiting Niagara Falls and I found 4 Mile State Park to stay in, but they say 2 dog limit on their website. Do they strickly enforce this rule? or will they let us have 3 dogs there. Our dogs are friendly and rarely bark. They are 25, 25 and 60 lbs.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Excuse the sarcasm, but if your dogs are friendly and rarely bark, then surely the rule would not apply to you, maybe just to everyone else.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Excuse the sarcasm, but if your dogs are friendly and rarely bark, then surely the rule would not apply to you, maybe just to everyone else.
Actually, I have no dogs but that would work for me.

If I don't hear, or am not annoyed by dogs, why would I care how many are in the site next to me. I like well behaved dogs and the more the merrier. They usually get plenty of pets from me if it's OK with their owners.

In some instances I wish there was a rule on how many loud kids one could have in their campsite, especially those who only know how to communicate by screaming.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 02-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #4

I travel everywhere with 4 dogs and a cat. I have camped at other NYS parks, but not at 4 Mile Creek. My dogs aren’t a nuisance and I’ve never had anyone say anything (except how cute and good they are!)
Old 02-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

only let two out at a time and rotate.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

I love animals and pets....at your home. We wintered in Arizona once and neighbors that were two campers over from us had a barking dog. Every time they both left their camper, the dog would bark nonstop until they returned. I didn't see how it was possible that a dog could bark that long without losing its 'voice'. Fortunately, they only stayed for 1 month. The park managers at the time were not well liked and they left at the end of that season. They wouldn't do anything to address the problem...or many other park issues.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
Old 02-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenatchee Willie View Post
Anyone ever take 3 dogs into NY State campgrounds? We are visiting Niagara Falls and I found 4 Mile State Park to stay in, but they say 2 dog limit on their website. Do they strickly enforce this rule? or will they let us have 3 dogs there. Our dogs are friendly and rarely bark. They are 25, 25 and 60 lbs.
I'd call and ask (without giving my name). Find out what they'll do if they find someone with 3 dogs. You certainly don't want to be asked to leave in the middle of your trip.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenatchee Willie View Post
I, like many others here love dogs. With all due respect, if I had to board my dogs somewhere because of campground restrictions, and then showed up only to find another camp guest with multiple dogs despite those restrictions, I wouldn't be happy at all about that.

In the end, you can simply call the campground and tell them about your dogs. Maybe they'll have a spot to put you where your dogs won't be an issue. That said, I wouldn't go anyplace where my dogs weren't welcome.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 02-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #9

I don’t live far from this park and know that there have been people there with 3 dogs larger than your group. This was however about 10 years ago or so. I would recommend calling and asking anonymously just to be safe!! Good luck with you WNY visit!!
Old 02-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #10

We've camped almost exclusively for years in NY State and DEC parks with either both (2) our dogs or neither of them (oldest daughter will house and dog sit). I have on rare occasions seen neighboring campers having more than 2 dogs on site. With park permission or snuck in I can't say and I've never asked as it didn't create an issue for me.
I can say that you have to present current rabies certificates for each pet when you show up.
I have found that park managers seem to have a degree of latitude on how they run and enforce rules at their respective parks.
Best advice was in the post suggesting you call the park prior to booking. You can also google pet boarding services in the area you are camping in.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
Old 02-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #11

Most people just don't want to listen to them. If they behave as you say I doubt there would be an issue. If you rotate 2 outside then no one would be the wiser most likely.

If there is a problem you could always find a nearby boarding place to check them or one into rather than cutting your trip short or the beauty of a trailer is find another campground nearby where it would not be an issue. We do daycare at local places when on day long outings over 4 hrs.and never had an issue with that.

Constant barking is what most CG are trying to avoid. I do report them when off leash (every CG I have been to requires a leash at all times unless in the dog run) and they get aggressive with other dogs or worse people.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:30 AM   #12

nothing to do with dogs

Wenatchee Willie :

I grew up half way between Niagara Falls and Buffalo in a little city (North Tonawanda - home of the "mighty" Wurlitzer organ and Herschel carousel museum). When I was a kid (I'm 56) the city of Niagara Falls was great, then times changed.

There was a point where anything more than one block away from the Niagara River/Niagara Falls was boarded up druggie houses. So depressing that this once beautiful area was in severe decline.

I was back there about 12 years ago and the city of Niagara Falls was still the armpit of the state, and I'm being nice about the anatomical part.

Hopefully you have a passport. If you go over to Canada (the Lewiston Queenston bridge isn't far) and the view of the Falls from the Canadian side is much nicer, not to mention that the surrounding area and shops is much, much nicer than on the US side (unless things have changed dramatically)

The old fort - Fort Niagara is kind of neat, depending on what your interests are.

Also, there used to be a restaurant - "The Basket Factory" that had incredible food, awesome service, and extremely reasonably priced (not sure if they're still open).

On the Canadian side, in Niagara on the Lake, there is (or used to be) a butterfly museum and several boutique wineries. If you like wine and 4 diamond food, you owe it to yourself to cross the border.

Just so you know, while it's been a decade since I've been back to the Falls area, I go back to North Tonawanda every year - if you want to know something about the local area, feel free to PM me and if I can help I will be more than willing.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #13

Not saying this is the case here, but a lot of dog owners who claim their dogs don’t bark are simply oblivious to their dogs barking.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #14

You don't say what breed the dogs are. If you do plan to try it, I'd suggest only walking two at a time and always the big guy with a little guy. Seeing you with two little dogs and then later a big dog will stick out.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Not saying this is the case here, but a lot of dog owners who claim their dogs don’t bark are simply oblivious to their dogs barking.
Yea That's my observation also. My kids are loud. But, I don't think they ever woke anyone up at 3am barking at a leaf when Iet them out to crap in the yard.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #16

more than 2 dogs in NY State Parks

This subject always turns into a thread for people to complain about that time they were annoyed by a dog while camping. Which, I’m sorry, I roll my eyes at, because in my own experience, dog owners at least try really hard to keep things quiet while all around them, parents just allow “kids to be kids”, never mind the hour.

If your dogs truly are quiet, having 3 rather than 2 will be irrelevant. Go, have fun, and hopefully the rowdy kids don’t get your dogs barking!

(BTW, I don’t hate kids, I just tend to live and let live and get mildly annoyed at the disconnect)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #17

And as PatrickY said, Fort Niagara is a gem (as well as a great park to walk your dogs [emoji6]). On a nice day, you can see Toronto over the water.
I go over into that area from Canada quite often, for shopping and exploring.
If you ARE a history buff or just enjoy them, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, has a great ghost walk a few times a year that gives the history of the area from the Canadian AND the American side. I quite enjoyed it!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
This subject always turns into a thread for people to complain about that time they were annoyed by a dog while camping. Which, I’m sorry, I roll my eyes at, because in my own experience, dog owners at least try really hard to keep things quiet while all around them, parents just allow “kids to be kids”, never mind the hour.

If your dogs truly are quiet, having 3 rather than 2 will be irrelevant. Go, have fun, and hopefully the rowdy kids don’t get your dogs barking!

(BTW, I don’t hate kids, I just tend to live and let live and get mildly annoyed at the disconnect)
I'll be one of 'em! Last FROG rally, some guy left his dog yapping inside this motorhome for EIGHT HOURS! I seriously wondered how the dog was able to sustain this that long. Eventually the guy must have come back, because the dog finally stopped. I was tempted to walk over to his RV and just stand there screaming like a banshee non-stop, but knew I would never be able to keep it up for the 8 hours necessary for appropriate pay-back.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
......I was tempted to walk over to his RV and just stand there screaming like a banshee non-stop, but knew I would never be able to keep it up for the 8 hours necessary for appropriate pay-back.
I would pay good money to see that!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #20

They will ask for proof of rabies shots but will not ask to see the dogs, show 2 sets, keep the dogs inside or as stated, only let 2 out at a time.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs