Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #1

Most common sense TT floor plan ever??

So my wife and I have been camping together now for 2 seasons. And we camped as kids as well so this is not new to us. After a two year trial period we have decided that we love it and are ready to dive into buying a new trailer.

BUT....... WE ARE PICKY!! Lol.

It's our dream trailer right? Let's do it right. (Well kinda! Still on a budget! We have young kids)

So here are the demands.

Bunk house for the kids
Large bedroom for mom and dad with closet place.

Now who would think this is such a novel idea?? CRAZY! You mean to tell me mom and dad, who are paying for everything, want some space too????

So we think we have found what is the most common sense floor plan ever made. It fits all of our demands. No it's not a super lite unit. No it's not for towing with an SUV. But if your serious about a nice large travel trailer I believe this is the one.

What say you??

This is the Puma 32-RBFQ.

One slide in the bunk room. (Because 2 is CRAZY big)
One slide in the living room
One slide in the bedroom. (And no not a silly wardrobe slide! A real full bed slide!)
Nice full closet across the front.

Can anyone talk me out of this layout and into something different?

I'm not even set on the puma brand but they are one of only 2 that I see with this plan. (Keystone Laredo 333bh is the other and I just discovered that yesterday.).

Looking for advice and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	151111  
calebj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

I have come to the conclusion that Slide-outs are the devil's spawn. And you are looking at 3 of them.

I would suggest you carefully look at the unit with the slides in to see if it can be functional while at home or on the road or do you have to run the slides out to do anything. Also look at the fit and finish of the slides very carefully to be sure they work as they should.

I like that they give more room but at this point to me it is not worth it. Our dining slide is not quite square, I have not looked to see how tricky that might be to fix, when the slide is out the front is not out far enough to seal really well. There is a leak somewhere that puts water under the table which is the opposite end of the improper seal so that is something else that needs looked at. If I look under the dinette I can see daylight. We are planning winter in Texas in this unit so I will need to stuff rags in aroung the tracks and gears to get it sealed up in case of cool weather. The bed slide seems to work well but if the bed is not slid out the cupboard, wardrobes, and half the drawers can't be opened so if we are packing or unpacking at home we have to run the slide out.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

Slides do give people issues on RV'S but I wouldn't want a RV without then.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

To me, several items are important.

Entry and exit in relation to floor plan. Do I have to step over and around everything and everyone and every dog to get in and out. Does me coming in at night disturb the kid? We have an airstream now, and the door is at the end. I'd much prefer a mid entry.

Tv position in relation to my sitting space.

Bunk house models don't always have the best positioning, so what, the bunks are great.

Buy a quality unit of whatever brand you decide. Stay away from schwintekk slides with those worm gears on the sides of the slide. Also, check north wood and outdoor rv trailers.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

Check out the Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK. We just bought one, and it works great for us. Very nice features, and the nicest master bedroom/closet space I've seen in a trailer. Our daughter loves the bunkhouse.

The interior finishes are beautiful, the outdoor kitchen is great, we love that you direct access to the bathroom from outside, and it seems to be very well constructed.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #6

Everybody has their I'd like to have, I must have and their NO WAYs! I bought a toy hauler because I wanted the space for living, not hauling toys. It's a lot less 'fancy' than many trailers but I'm OK with that. I have one slide that can be closed and you still can use the whole trailer...open just makes it easier to walk into the kitchen. I know people who winter in their horse trailers, so everyone deals with what they want to deal with.

I looked and looked, went in some, others my head in the door was all I needed to know it wouldn't work. I'm happy with what I chose and until I decide to get something else (if I ever do) I'll enjoy what I have.

Good Luck with your search and decision! If it works for you, go for it.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post
Check out the Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK. We just bought one, and it works great for us. Very nice features, and the nicest master bedroom/closet space I've seen in a trailer. Our daughter loves the bunkhouse.

The interior finishes are beautiful, the outdoor kitchen is great, we love that you direct access to the bathroom from outside, and it seems to be very well constructed.

Thanks dankirk. We actually looked at this floor plan when we looked at the puma. It is our #2 right now. Only difference being that the bunk room doesn't have a slide. Which concerns me with 2-3 kids trying to have all of their stuff and space to dress and what not. We use it for things other than just camping such as a week or 2 each year at church conferences.

I don't know if you mind or not but I would love to discuss how much the unit actually cost in a PM with you.

Caleb
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #8

Consider looking at something with slides that oppose on either side with an island in the center.

We were set on a 24' model bunkhouse with a single slide dinnette and a peninsula kitchen. The extra room was nice. However, as soon as we saw the Surveyor 247BHDS, we fell in love with all the extra room and center island. The center island created 2 paths through the trailer and really enlarged the living and kitchen area.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #9

Take a look at the Grand Design units, maybe a Reflection. I like having TV directly across from the couch or recliners versus the old floor plans that have you turning your head. Good quality too.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Puma has some great floor plans at a great value. We were looking at the 32FBIS and the one you posted. Open Range TTs are awesome too but nearly double the price. IMO not worth it as they will have the same issues they all do. Either way, plan on getting a 3/4 ton truck or heavier if you want to tow them safely/worry free.

GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #11

Check out this Open Range:

Kids have their own sink and toilet.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post

I have the Flagstaff V-Lite sister of this one. We love it. Kids love the bunk house.
frfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfv View Post
I have the Flagstaff V-Lite sister of this one. We love it. Kids love the bunk house.

How many kids and how old?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
Check out this Open Range:

Kids have their own sink and toilet.

Not smoggy bedroom space for us. I want to be able to stand and get dressed without fighting a wall. At 6'2 that's not easy.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
Puma has some great floor plans at a great value. We were looking at the 32FBIS and the one you posted. Open Range TTs are awesome too but nearly double the price. IMO not worth it as they will have the same issues they all do. Either way, plan on getting a 3/4 ton truck or heavier if you want to tow them safely/worry free.

This is also one that makes the list. Actually maybe right above the 30fbss. Same design but has the third slide in the kitchen.
One thing I absolutely HATE about it is the bathroom sink location. It's against a wall. That drives me crazy when doing things like combing my hair or brushing my teeth. I despise it.

It's nice, but still no bunk slide that creates so much room for the kids.

My kids are 5 and 3. Both girls. And we are planning on another.

So 10 years from now we are talking 15 and 13 yr old girls and possible a 10 year old too. That's gonna take some space to be comfortable.

Whatever we buy we plan to keep for 15 years and then whatever we get after that will be for just the two of us.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj06 View Post
Not smoggy bedroom space for us. I want to be able to stand and get dressed without fighting a wall. At 6'2 that's not easy.

Lol, I'm 6'1" and get dressed just fine in my little 26TBSS. The big thing is its a full height TT, not a lite or low ceiling like most aluminum trailers. That extra 3" of ceiling height makes a huge difference to tall folks like us.

The Open Range is wider than most a full 8'4" I believe. It makes noticeable difference in interior space and thats an RV king size mattress up front
Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #17
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Slides do give people issues on RV'S but I wouldn't want a RV without then.
X2

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #18

Are you stuck on a bumper hitch? We just purchased a '13 Sabre 34-tbok which has a similar floor plan.
There are some new models with similar floor plans.

We only have one child a 1yr old (and plan on only one), but this was the floorplan/layout the wife wanted for all of the reason that you have said. Having been out in it a couple of weekends already. I've had to concede that the wife was right, and this layout is great for children. Even with a toddler I can see the advantage to the layout. Her other requirement was storage, and this floorplan has a lot of it everywhere, even a walk in pantry (where the half bath is on a newer sabre of this plan. We were looking at new ones and she was sold on this one within a minute of walking inside it. having the bathroom away from the bunkhouse is nice so far because we don't wake the baby up, but I can definitely see the advantages to having the 2nd bath off of the bunkhouse.
I will say that we have to put the slides out to do much in the camper at home, but for me that's ok, I don't like walking on the slide lip with it closed up anyways. It does suck however to forget your dirty laundry in the bedroom closet and have to slide it out to get the bedroom. But on the positive side, the bathroom is always accessible with the slides in.

I've been around various floorplans before, and this is the first time with a bunk "room" and I really like it especially if we have other kids with us (have 3 nephews/niece all under the age of 10)
Jeeptchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #19

That's a nice plan jeeptchr. Maybe one of the best I have seen on a 5er, but there is no way my truck is gonna touch that thing. When I upgrade trucks in a year or so I could, but not gonna happen right now.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #20

Understood, it weighs in just under 12k dry. if I wouldn't have had my ton truck we would have been looking at bumper pulls also. for a bunkhouse 5er it's a great floorplan.

of the ones that have been posted that 32 fbis looks like it would really fit the bill for your needs, I still wouldn't worry much about the slides, I wouldn't buy a camper without them for the space you gain.
Jeeptchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor