Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

most unusual issue with a new camper.

i have been camping for 40 years and never heard this happening. We just pickup up our new camper, a 2018 Vibe. Pulled it to our new seasonal site today.. got is leveled and power on. grabbed the water hose and connected it to the city water connection, just below the black tank flush connection. turned on the water and went about other set up issues. After a few minutes i noticed water coming out from under the bathroom door. i raised the lid on the toilet and found the bowel over flowing with water. had the wife run and shut off the water. She said water was running off the roof also as she shut off the water.. i could not figure out what could possibly been the problem.. after a few phone calls to the dealer and some checking i discovered someone at Forest River had switched the labels on the city water connection and the black tank connection. so when i connect to the city water connection i was actually connecting to the black tank flush connection and it filled the black tank with water and pushed by the toilet seal and up the sewer vent stack..Water everywhere. Thank god we had never used the bathroom yet, so all the water was clean. still a mess.. has anyone ever heard of anything like this...?
virstens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by virstens View Post
has anyone ever heard of anything like this...?
Yes, but it was human error, not a mislabeling.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nk-142718.html
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Not so much of hearing of it happening but a lot of speculation of what would happen if the dump valve was kept closed during a flush. Now we all know, water will come out on the roof vent.
I hope you have NO damage but I would think it would be covered since Forest River had the stickers backwards.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
i have been camping for 40 years and never heard this happening. We just pickup up our new camper, a 2018 Vibe. Pulled it to our new seasonal site today.. got is leveled and power on. grabbed the water hose and connected it to the city water connection, just below the black tank flush connection. turned on the water and went about other set up issues. After a few minutes i noticed water coming out from under the bathroom door. i raised the lid on the toilet and found the bowel over flowing with water. had the wife run and shut off the water. She said water was running off the roof also as she shut off the water.. i could not figure out what could possibly been the problem.. after a few phone calls to the dealer and some checking i discovered someone at Forest River had switched the labels on the city water connection and the black tank connection. so when i connect to the city water connection i was actually connecting to the black tank flush connection and it filled the black tank with water and pushed by the toilet seal and up the sewer vent stack..Water everywhere. Thank god we had never used the bathroom yet, so all the water was clean. still a mess.. has anyone ever heard of anything like this...?

Take a pic of the labels/connections. My fear is, you may need this because now you may have the beginnings of water damage inside the RV since you say the bowl was overflowing onto the floor. If it made it to seam between the floor and walls, and if your wall construction is wood, the wood may have soaked up some water and may start to swell/rot/form mold! I would return it back to the dealer and have the floor and walls thoroughly inspected for damage. I might also demand an explanation as to why this issue was missed during their PDI inspection.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Team

I'd ask the dealer for new labels and install them correctly.
If you don't want to bother with the dealer, I'd find a friend with a Silhouette or a Cricket cutter and have them make you a set out of vinyl.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

Since it is Seasonal just remove the Labels and switch the Hose! Youroo!!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

My co-ax connections were marked wrong, and in two spots not even hooked up.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
has anyone ever heard of anything like this...?
I take it that this was not checked/verified during the PDI?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Could you post a photo of the connections/labels so others can learn from this?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Take a pic of the labels/connections. My fear is, you may need this because now you may have the beginnings of water damage inside the RV since you say the bowl was overflowing onto the floor. If it made it to seam between the floor and walls, and if your wall construction is wood, the wood may have soaked up some water and may start to swell/rot/form mold! I would return it back to the dealer and have the floor and walls thoroughly inspected for damage. I might also demand an explanation as to why this issue was missed during their PDI inspection.
excellent points. to add to this make sure the dealer prepares a letter stating that if there are further issues they (the manufacturer ) are responsible.

mold won't start right away and I'm not sure that they will apply a chemical that will not control mold but kill it forever or just use bleach. Bleach will only kill mold for 6 months at best. if it is present. Our son does water damage restoration and they use a different liquid chemical to treat areas which have water damage.

if the dealership refuses to do then get your insurance company involved and have the manufacturer take the trailer back for a tear down and rebuild or replacement.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #11

Sounds like another case of haste making waste. Glad the toliet had not been used. On our 2017 Flagstaff, tv never got hooked into entertainment center. After I spent an hour plus pulling microwave to gain access to cable run area, was able to hook tv into unused tv input to entertainment center!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I take it that this was not checked/verified during the PDI?
never do... our 2018 Toyhauler has so many issues I stopped counting.
the main screen door is open at the top, the satellite cable is dead shorted, the bathroom door is warped, the roof membrane doesn't even fit under the track and is flapping in the wind. 3 Decals are cut where they misjudged trimming and stuck back down to mention a few.

all reported to the manufacturer and dealership within days of arrival home.
Fit and finish is about a 4 of 10 only because I have not seen a 3 out of 10
Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #13

On my new 2018, 34RL2 Hathaway, my issue is not as critical as yours but just another example of shoddy workmanship. My galley tank and bath tank are mis-labeled. The on demand water heater is a pos and fit and trim is abominable. This is definitely not what you expect from Cedar Creek.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Maybe behind the panel they just mixed up the 2 lines that hook to the fittings. You might be able to just flip-flop them and it will read correctly.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #15

Wow! And we thought WE had a weird one when we discovered that they forgot to install a gray tank gate valve!

Sure hope you don't have major damage. Great advice from all of you forum friends!
HappiCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
excellent points. to add to this make sure the dealer prepares a letter stating that if there are further issues they (the manufacturer ) are responsible.

mold won't start right away and I'm not sure that they will apply a chemical that will not control mold but kill it forever or just use bleach. Bleach will only kill mold for 6 months at best. if it is present. Our son does water damage restoration and they use a different liquid chemical to treat areas which have water damage.

if the dealership refuses to do then get your insurance company involved and have the manufacturer take the trailer back for a tear down and rebuild or replacement.
X2.............protect yourself from their own stupidity and MAKE them own the problem!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
My DH said he will have water into his insulation all over the place, take the RV back and say you want a new one!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #18

I've seen this happen three times, twice the owner had the black valve closed and forgot to watch the black tank flush. Both times 'dirty' water was running thru the trailer and off the roof. Owners had to go buy several gallons of bleach to clean up the mess. The other time a new owner hooked the fresh water line to the black tank flush by mistake and turned the water on, then went to finish setup. The black tank expanded downward and started popping the screws holding the underbelly fabric.

Fortunately I haven't made this mistake, yet. And what I've seen keeps me very focused on avoiding this adventure.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #19

This is the picture of the original markings. [IMG][/IMG]
virstens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #20

One More thing I saw inthe pic

We live in S Louisiana. If we do not have a screen over our furnace intake/vent like is shown in your pic the mud daubers will get inside and build a nest. usually on the fan and either keep it from turning or if it does turning it will be so imbalanced it will destroy the bushings for the motor requiring a replacement to fix it. Ask me how I know.

This is a link to what I am talking about.

Flying Insect Screen for Duo-therm, Suburban and Durotherm Furnaces - Camco 42141 - Insect Control - Camping World

Consider similar screens for anything else that vents outside, refrigerator, etc.

Tags
camper