Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

mounting tires bought online

Just picked up 5 new Carlisle tires at Walmart. I bought them online and when I picked them up I was surprised that they would not mount them on a trailer. I would have to remove my tires one at a time at my storage lot and take them over to Wally World. I'm not making four different trips plus leaving my unit jacked up on the storage lot. For those of you who buy your tires online, who do you get to install them? Do you take your unit over and have them jack your RV up, remove the old China Bombs, mount the replacements and mount them back on your trailer? Looking at some of the independent tire shops around town, it doesn't look like there's a lot of room to maneuver an F150 and a 22 foot Coachman 192 RBS. - Thanks.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #2

I went to Goodyear.com and purchased 4 having them mounted at local goodyear shop 5 days later, making appointment at time of purchase. All I had to do was pull up to door outside with TT leaving it hooked to truck. I spoke with local shop first, Goodyear sent tires to them. Very professional operation. .com will have different sales. Less then an hour complete.

Utility trailer got put on jack stands, brought two in for mounting for cheaper tires.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #3

My last set I bought from Goodyear too.. they came to my house to install them.

However, I've taken them places to have tires installed.. one was wally world. If you have two jacks or a set of jackstands you can do two at a time.

I've bought from places locally and as a condition of purchase they did the install there. At times we had to get creative but usually we worked it out.

Last time I bought at Costco I got there and they said they wouldn't do it. I told them I'd get my jack and jack it up myself in the parking lot. They agreed to do it then.. LOL [emoji1787]
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Just picked up 5 new Carlisle tires at Walmart. I bought them online and when I picked them up I was surprised that they would not mount them on a trailer. I would have to remove my tires one at a time at my storage lot and take them over to Wally World. I'm not making four different trips plus leaving my unit jacked up on the storage lot. For those of you who buy your tires online, who do you get to install them? Do you take your unit over and have them jack your RV up, remove the old China Bombs, mount the replacements and mount them back on your trailer? Looking at some of the independent tire shops around town, it doesn't look like there's a lot of room to maneuver an F150 and a 22 foot Coachman 192 RBS. - Thanks.
I also got 2 of mine from Walmart but I knew that they wouldn't take them off the trailer and change them. I took the 2 bad ones of and took them in. They took off the old tires off and mounted the new ones for free. Took them back and put them on myself.
Discount Tires do work on trailers as they put a set of 4 on my previous trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:52 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post

Most of the Wal-Mart TLE's (Tire Lube Express) are not designed to safely work on RV's. They do not have a designated area for such that wouldn't block their bays, nor the air lines to reach out far into a parking lot. This also does not even take into account the liabilities if the RV fell off a jack and/or hurt a passing customer/employee. They want the vehicle to be safely in a bay, that access is limited. That is why you will not find many Wal-marts willing to work on a RV on site (but some do).

You should be able to find other dealers to mount the tires for you. The dealers who sell both passenger vehicle and semi (18 wheeler) tires will be set up for the longer RV's.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #6

Wal mart will not touch a trailer tire. You will have to do it yourself. Its not too bad. Get a couple tire irons and some lube. Shampoo actually works pretty good. Or find another tire shop to do it. Depending on the shop I bet its 10-20 per wheel to dis mount and remount plus tire disposal fee.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #7

Bought Goodyear Tires online from Goodyear and they shipped them to Jamies Tire in Xenia,Ohio! I paid Goodyear for Everything! Jamies Tire called me when they came in and I picked up the New trailer from the dealer and took it to Jamies Tire! I had my "Secure Wood Ramp" that I allow others to use also and NO Jacking required! Jamies thanked me for making the Tire changing Very Easy for them! I didnt have to worry about Jack Placement either! I tipped the Installer but No other Money Required! Youroo!!
Old 03-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #8

I bought my Goodyear Endurance online from Walmart too. I had the brilliant idea that I'd purchase their Road Hazard warranty and coupled with the fact that Walmart is everywhere, I'd be covered no matter where I was camping. Unfortunately, that warranty does not apply to trailer tires.

I had to remove my tires and get them mounted and balanced by Walmart TLE, one at a time. It was a pain in the ass for sure, but it wasn't that bad. It took me two weekends to get all the tires changed out. I was in and out of the store within an hour each time. $12.78 each trip.

I used a Trailer-Aide plus to get my wheels up off the driveway. Got it from Amazon for $48.00. It made it very easy and was a lot safer and stable than using my 20 ton bottle jack. Had no issues leaving the 5'er on the Trailer Aide while I was getting the tire changed.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Site Team

I have heavy duty jack stands and just removed all 4 tires/wheels and took them and the new tires (which I had purchased thru Walmart.com) to my local wallyworld store.
They mounted them "free" because they had walmart stickers on them. I paid for new stems and spin balance which was fairly cheap.
I took my old tires home (no disposal fee) and sold them on FB marketplace to a guy who was going to put them on a lawn service trailer. Apparently I sold them too cheap. I had them on FB for $80 for the 4 used tires and my phone blew up with messages wanting to buy them.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #10

Even if Walmart would jack up the trailer and change the tires, I wouldn’t let the do it.

To answer the question, where do you get the tires mounted, I buy tires on line and mount them myself. With relatively low cost equipment, car and trailer tires are easy to mount. I got “tired” of shops damaging my vehicles and/or wheels, not doing a careful job, etc., so I do it now.

With motorcycles tires I can do mount and balance, but since I don’t yet have a good way to balance large wheels, I still need to take car and trailer wheels to a shop and pay for balancing.

Short answer: look into the possibility of mounting the tires yourself.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #11

i pur purchased mine from e, custom hitch .com direct. i gt the tire rim combos .new rims and tires , free ship no tax. came in 5 days. i live in north texas , lots of tire shops in the spanish district of my town. they stay busy and they always welcome work.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #12

I needed two tires & Walmart had two (only two) in stock. I parked my TT near the garage removed one tire at a time & they replaced each one. I removed & installed them. I paid them after I installed & put everything away & camped in the parking lot overnight. All around it was a good deal.

They had a wash area in the shop which they let me use as well. Nice folks too.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #13

I bought my tires at Wal-Mart but I bought new wheels at the same time and had them mounted and balanced then put them on the trailer myself. 4 Wheels and D Load Tires came in at around $600.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I have heavy duty jack stands and just removed all 4 tires/wheels and took them and the new tires (which I had purchased thru Walmart.com) to my local wallyworld store.
I want to clarify your comment above. I have a TT, which is probably the answer, but the thought of putting all 4 tires off the ground; and pushing that much weight onto my tongue jack is frightening. Presumably I could put the front of the frame on blocks prior to removing the tires, but.......
Sorry, but just thinking about how to put all 4 tires in the air gives me the willy's. I envision the entire TT sliding off and landing on the ground.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Wal mart will not touch a trailer tire. You will have to do it yourself.
Not true, as many of us have posted the opposite. I had my choice of Walmarts willing to mount the new tires for free.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Sorry, but just thinking about how to put all 4 tires in the air gives me the willy's. I envision the entire TT sliding off and landing on the ground.
4 at a time or do one side at a time...
your only lifting each side's tire off the ground by an inch to remove or reinstall...

do what you feel comfortable with and certainly only work on level ground with adequate jacks and jack stands...

not a big deal...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not true, as many of us have posted the opposite. I had my choice of Walmarts willing to mount the new tires for free.
My local Walmart won't do it.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
My local Walmart won't do it.
Yeah, you will find that not are all consistent in what they will/won't do.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Not a true statement by me. None of 'em in the Raleigh/Durham area will mount new tires for free, even if purchased from Walmart. They charged me a mounting and balancing fee of $12.78 for each tire I brought in to them for replacement. I went to two different stores in the area and they both told me all of their locations charge for that service. $12.78 per tire is a pretty cheap date for me, so no big deal at all.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:59 AM   #20

Tires plus won't touch a Class C motorhome to remove tires to put on metal tire valve stems. Told them I would never buy a tire from them again for my truck, Terrain or motorhome.

Tags
mount, tire, tires