Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #1

Multiple charging sources - compatible or not?

I realize that I can recharge my batteries in my TT with shore power going through the WFCO converter/charger. I could run my generator and plug the TT's shore power cable into the generator. Then the generator would be powering the WFCO converter/charger. I could run the output from a solar panel controller directly to the batteries. One other option I can think of is while shore power is recharging the batteries through the WFCO converter/charger, I could also have my Schumacher SC1281 6/12/30/100A 6V/12V stand-alone battery charger attached to the batteries and powered either by the generator or shore power.

My question is: if you recharge batteries using multiple inputs at the same time, do your damage the battery or one or more of the input devices? Or must you use one or another, but not at the same time?

A variation on this question is: I have always understood that batteries are best recharged slowly, if you have the time, rather that quickly with a higher charge rate. Is that true?

Thanks for your thoughts. I learn so much from this forum.
/s/ George Hay Kain, III - 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL; 2013 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4; ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System; Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000 lb; Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System.
ghkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

Depending on the battery type (flooded cell, Gel, AGM, LiFEPO4, etc) will determine the charging rate. I am going to assume you have the basic lead acid flooded cell ones. They can only take in so much current at a time without overheating and damaging or blowing up the battery. They start off at whatever the maximum programmed rate is, get the battery to about 80%, then cut back on the rate for the last 20%. You can get the 80% in a couple of hours, the last 20% can take several hours depending on the battery bank size and the chargers.

Usually multiple charging sources will not play well together, they depend on voltage readings to charge the batteries correctly. By trying to use multiple charging sources they will "read" each other and assume the battery is full and cut the charging power back.

Best bet is to choose a single source and optimize it for your specific battery set up and camping style. In my case I have a motor home and use the on board converter (Progressive Dynamic) to keep my batteries charged when plugged up. If we happen to be dry camping (no hookups) I have portable solar panels that can be set up or I can run the generator and use the on board converter.

In the past I have had a TT with 300 watts of solar on the roof, it kept the battery bank charged up with no problems. I never used the converter, in fact it stayed switched off at the breaker.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #3

My solar controller and converter are from the same company and play well together. Also using AGM batterys.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

I was told by Go Power, the company that was used for my built in solar, that plugging in an additional panel through the auxiliary input on the side of the camper is fine, but it needs it's own controller because it does not go through the built in controller for the roof top panel.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

It's not a problem to have multiple sources. Not saying all sources will contribute fully, but it won't harm anything.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
My solar controller and converter are from the same company and play well together. Also using AGM batterys.
Which system do you have?

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Go Power. With Optima AGM group 31 bats.
2 roof panels for 305 watts. Very happy with this setup.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Usually multiple charging sources will not play well together, they depend on voltage readings to charge the batteries correctly. By trying to use multiple charging sources they will "read" each other and assume the battery is full and cut the charging power back.

Best bet is to choose a single source and optimize it for your specific battery set up and camping style.
Aaron
This is correct when any of the battery chargers is microprocessor controlled. Some solar chargers are built to handle multiple power sources, but I know of no converters or non-solar chargers that allow that function.

Add up the Amp. Hour capacity of all the batteries in your system, then divide by 8 to get a good and efficient charging rate that will be kind to your batteries.

https://www.homepower.com/articles/s...charging-rates

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging